Towing with a xantia 1.9td

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

..and it looks smaller. :D
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Hi All

If you are towing a car on a trailer remove or stick black tape over both of its front and rear numberplates. This avoids any problems with APNR pick up of that numberplate. Avoiding is always easier than explaining after it is auto picked up.

Paul side picture processed with shape recognition software.
Xmexclusive
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Thats fair enough John, but how would sensors know if the car pulling is a car or a 4x4.. ? I guess weight of the first two axles might tell them..

Paul

It'd detect a Xantia followed very closely by a heavier Xantia (Xantia + trailer), assuming the numberplates are still on the trailered car.
Vehicle type and towing limits would be found via looking up the number plate.

I would imagine it works by matching a number plate with a lorry, finding how many axles it has, then recording that number of weight measurements over the road sensor.
If the number plate is not for a lorry, then it just does the usual ANPR stuff.

So assuming it's interested in cars, the first Xantia goes over, gets detected as a Xantia with 2 axles, weighed, checked for MoT/Tax/Insurance, and ignored if all is well. The towed Xantia goes over, may be detected if number plate is visible, ANPR'd (that could be the interesting bit!), and weighed (which could confuse it if your trailer has more than 2 axles).
If ANPR fails as you're towing it because it has no MoT/tax/insurance, the photo will show it was being towed, so you can argue the case.
If it's over weight due to the trailer, it's being towed so you can argue the case.
The photographic evidence will concentrate on the front of the towed car.
The towing car will not have it's details recorded (unless it failed ANPR and even then it'd be some work to match the times up) as that was one of the conditions of ANPR, not to track the movement of vehicles by recording their number plate, unless something is illegal about the vehicle.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hullo Paul, that's a really convoluted, but flawed argument, as the weight sensor systems are only looking for overweight axle loadings, not all up weights and this really only applies to commercial vehicles, who are the only vehicles likely to exceed the maximum loading per axle.

I think the axles and bearings on any passenger car, let alone a Xantia, would expire before you could move it, if you exceeded the maximum permitted loadings on UK roads.

However, your argument about the whys and wherefores of an overloaded vehicle would probably cut little mustard with the local beak, should you get nabbed by the boys in blue. If you contravene the laws and get caught, you have to expect the consequences, whether foolhardy or not. :evil:

Handyman
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Recognition software can become very comprehensive.
Some automatic installations have been doing lorry drivers for exceeding 50 on 60mph roads.
Will not take this any further.
Jim has flagged it as off topic.
If I find the original artical I will start a new topic.

John
Xmexclusive
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Lorries over 50 in a 60mph zone would be easy.

IF speed > 50 take photo
IF registration plate == goods vehicle send out fine
ELSE delete photo

anyway, this is all :offtopic: :D
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool