Spotted this beauty in the car park at work.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

brmartyn
My Cars: Citroen C8

Post by brmartyn »

Nice to see a classic still on the road :D
Brady

Citroen C8 2.2 HDI Exclusive 2006/06

Previous French cars -
Renault Megane Tourer 2004/54 1.9 DCI Privilege
Citroen Xantia 1998/S 2.0 16v Exclusive Automatic
Renault Laguna Sports Tourer Dymanique 2001/51
Citroen Saxo VTR 2000/W
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Xac wrote:ABS just applies the braking pressure you've decided on with your foot until the wheels nearly lock, then it releases and re-applies it.
The system I'm talking about applies full braking pressure, automatically doing what is a manual braking technique of stamping on the brakes then releasing them giving maximum braking with no fade.
In that case surely you are just describing how 'brake assist' and 'ABS' work together for example:

1) Idiot motorist realises they are about to hit something. They brake, but being stupid don't press the pedal hard enough to stop swiftly.

2) Car 'detects' this, and responds by applying brakes fully, relying on ABS to intervene should this result in wheels locking.

Horses for courses...
Jonathan
1986 Mercedes Benz 190D 2.5
1979 GS 1220 Club Estate awaiting more welding
1952 David Brown 30D awaiting new liners
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

In my experience ABS is much more rapid, ie hit the brakes, it starts to fade, eventually wheels lock, ABS cuts in, wheels turn a bit, ABS cuts out brakes cut in, car slows a bit, wheels lock, ABS cuts in, wheels turn a bit, ABS cuts out, brakes cut in, car slows a bit, fading continues due to heat but less than if the brakes weren't cutting out from the ABS.

Cadence braking! Just found the technique's name.
Supposedly ABS should be the same, but I remember seeing on Top Gear (back when it was interesting and worth watching) a test between three cards, one with ABS disabled doing an emergency brake without skidding, one with ABS, and one doing cadence braking.
The last one stopped in the shortest distance.
My Megane 2 had it, braking hard at high speed resulted in longer pulses between pedal kickback compared to the rapid action of normal ABS.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

There are many braking systems on new cars now, one sends more braking to the wheels with more grip, once keeps the brakes one once you have pressed it in an emergency situation - as it was found people come off the brakes just as an impact happens etc.

I do see the advantages of these and do like having ABS.

A modern day DS would be nice, but it wont ever be done.

There was a mock-up of what one might look like, some years back in an autoexpress i think, looked good and up to date, though keeping a similar shape while making it stronger would be hard.

Just look how big the new Fiat 500 is to the old one, yet there is no space at all in the new one, i wouldnt like to ever sit in the back of one. Ive tried it i dont fit. Its all taken up with safety seatures, thicker doors, pillars and even seats.

One reason older cars have so much room is because the doors are very thin, the seats are often very thin too, which gives added space.

A modern DS would be very different from the old one, though i wonder if the new DS5 will be anything like it? I doubt it.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10