State of the Roads

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

No. That's what's propping up all these @ssholes in the financial institutions
which still have to pay the "fair" going rate/Market value salaries with many
zeros and more than rude bonuses...

doublebollocks!

Andrew
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

addo wrote:
Toby_HDi wrote:Right....where's my island......
It's called New Zealand. :lol:
No, no , no. An island to myself. Just me and no one else. Society really annoys me these days :lol: :roll:
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Glad you said that , I feel the same but was worried that I was paranoid :wink:
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

My uncle is a manager in the roads department here....he hates his job. Here are some stories about how the place is run:

The council said no overtime for the foreseeable future, to save money. When you've got a crew out working on the road, you can be spending thousands on equipment hire every day. So, logic dictates that spending a few hundred quid on overtime to shorten the length of the job by a few days is money well spent, and also allows the crew to work outside of peak traffic times causing less disruption. Despite my uncle writing letters and kicking up stink, the council insisted on no overtime, costing the tax payer a damn fortune on unnecessary hire.

Shortly before an election, he was give £125,000 and told to spend on "high visibility" stuff. So instead of spending it on crumbling roads, he had to buy a whole load of "twenty's plenty" signs.

A major road had failing lights. 3 companies put in quotes to supply new lights. The 2 cheapest were in France, and didn't have the lights in stock, but promised them soon. The other company was 50 pence per light dearer, but were local and could supply the lights immediately. The council insisted that the cheapest quote be taken, saving a petty amount of money. As it turned out, the lights weren't delivered for months, and the roads department had to spend £20,000 sending out crews to maintain failing lights.

It comes down to large organisations preventing the man on the ground from doing his job. I work in the NHS and know exactly that feeling, some @rsehole somewhere tells you it has to be done this way because that's the way it is. Nobody is allowed to apply common sense to a paticular situation. I thought this was very well summed up in the TV series "The Wire".
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

The law is very unfair over damage or injury caused by potholes: victims have a claim against the council only when the hole has been reported but not fixed within a "reasonable time". If not reported, or if fixed promptly, claims won't succeed. In law, victims have to prove negligence by the responsible party.

Jim, if you think about the size of the road network, councils have to depend on the public reporting potholes.

I have a theory that periods of snow and frost create lots of potholes: When the slush thaws during the day, traffic forces moisture (that can't escape) into the road surface. This freezes at night, expanding and breaking up the surface. Next day, even more moisture gets forced into the surface and between layers. When it all thaws, the action of tyres slamming into holes full of water, forces water under high pressure into the road bed. Obviously, none of this can happen where the road surface is sound.

BTW, more than 50 years ago, Sir Winston Churchill referred to the "Raid Fund Tax" in a speech complaining how little of it is spent on roads.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
MAC OSX
My Cars:

Be Positive.

Post by MAC OSX »

The councils are unwittingly making things better for us users of SUPERIOR vehicles.
This is being done by making the roads unusable by users of INFERIOR vehicles.
Hence reducing congestion. Only real citroens (hydro) and off roaders using the roads.
Last edited by MAC OSX on 24 Jan 2010, 22:42, edited 1 time in total.
Citroen XM 2 Litre Turbo CT VSX Auto Saloon Mauritius Blue 1996.
Land Rover Discovery 3 HSE 2.7L Diesel Auto Zambezi Silver 2005.
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Old-Guy wrote:
I have a theory that periods of snow and frost create lots of potholes: When the slush thaws during the day, traffic forces moisture (that can't escape) into the road surface. This freezes at night, expanding and breaking up the surface. Next day, even more moisture gets forced into the surface and between layers. When it all thaws, the action of tyres slamming into holes full of water, forces water under high pressure into the road bed. Obviously, none of this can happen where the road surface is sound.
Thats exactly the process by which road surfaces break up. Wouldn't be anywhere near as bad if they didn't repair roads with a skim of tar and chippings on the top. Most of our local roads are now covered in gravel now because of the frost & water scouring the surface.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

I have noticed that a lot of these holes were actually repaired before Christmas and now after the snow and ice they have opened up again.

road menders are you listenning to this, don't just fill a hole with cold tarmac and pat it down, you have to heat the hole first to make the tarmac stick.

if there is any truth to the local authorities putting 20% waste veg oil in the tarmac mix have they considered that veg oil freezes at minus 6 degrees? heat or no heat to bond the repair.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Napolian
My Cars:

Money for the roads

Post by Napolian »

Central government gives local councils adequate funding for road repairs however, much of the money is diverted in to pet projects like the nappy coordination advise centre in Reading.

When there is a pothole the least of the cost is for the actual repair, the majority of the cost for the survey, reports administration and coordination of filling in the hole.
Enchanté de faire votre connaissance
rmunns
My Cars: 2019 C5 Aircross 2litre diesel, auto.
2018 C4 Pic2 Spacetourer auto. Seems nice so far.
2019 C4 Cactus manual. Didn't like it, lots of niggling points. sold.
2011 C4 Picasso excl. - shaping up to be a disaster, bought June 2019. P/X'd
2009 Citroen C5 X7 exclusive, auto, LHD, 207500km (129000miles) now sold
Citroen Xsara Picasso excl. 2004 2.0 Hdi, RHD, 64000miles. (sold)
Citroen C3 Picasso excl. 2016. sold.
Two Xantias, one petrol, one diesel. sold.

In the past: Renault 16 (in about 1977, for a year). With front pass. seat out transported full bathroom suite from Cambridge to Derby!)
Renault 4TL (in 2011, for a year)

Post by rmunns »

Suggest moving to France?

Many areas are 50% English, lots of things just like home was 30 years ago, Sky TV with full English TV coverage, no legal hounds claiming for the slightest thing, councils don't spend money on tarting up - if the pavement is wonky, just be careful. Practically no salt put on roads in bad weather - everyone stays home, totally different attitude. Can't be sacked except for things like treason. La Poste, although dearer than UK, is very reliable. Everyone holidays in France, keeps money here, most buy Ren Peu Cit.

Could go on..........
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Cor it sounds like blighty used to be many years ago, sounds like heaven to me. we have unfortunately followed the US in our ways, which is very sad because it has ruined our identity as a country.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

What ? you mean in France they don`t send expensive news teams out to stand in the snow shouting? No reporting on "winter "CHAOS" ?. The "sheer hell" of watching a motorist whose wheels are turning but car not moving forward :shock: Interviewing a Woman at her door who hasn`t been out for a whole day! Same woman can`t remember the weather ever being as a bad.........mind you she can`t remember where she left her false teeth in the jar either :lol:

Warning; THIS could be a taste of things to come! Scientists have done extensive research (earning a 4yr fully employed PHD in the process) and are now predicting?..............this snow could happen next year as well..........amazing! :lol:

Remember...this is the worst winter for twenty years........That`s a loooooong time (in jail) although Earth is slightly older.

24hr magazine programmes under the name of News. The biggest business in the World now......selling nothing more than baked beans!
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

You're sounding a little jaded and cynical there, Lexi. :P

I would love to visit France again, mainly to drive twisty mountain roads of the Alpine areas.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

You're sounding a little jaded and cynical there, Lexi.
Nah ! It`s what we do for laughs mate......some even call it Satire :lol:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I had it sussed. :wink: Scots and Australians generally shared points of humour - at least, before Australia went soft.