Are garages CRAP?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andycarter
My Cars:

Post by andycarter »

A couple of other obvious reasons why the pilot light might go out that I don't think have already been said:

Lack of oxygen
Lack of gas (supply pipework not purged)

But I expect the pro's would have checked all this.
1996 Xantia TD (Sold)
2004 Hyundai Trajet 2.7 V6 Auto
2000 Skoda Fabia 1.4 16v
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Not sure if the boiler has been cleaned internally. We have been in the house 2 years and never had the boiler cleaned.

I had thought flow of gas may be problem but I think the last BG geezer checked pressure with guage thing.

This is amazing you guys know everybloodything.
C'est pas possible!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Boiler should be serviced and cleaned yearly. It is amazing the amount of ash that builds up inside them.

As the others have said if your heat exchanger is sooted up that could give rise to problems but I think the pilot light is a separate issue.
rmunns
My Cars: 2019 C5 Aircross 2litre diesel, auto.
2018 C4 Pic2 Spacetourer auto. Seems nice so far.
2019 C4 Cactus manual. Didn't like it, lots of niggling points. sold.
2011 C4 Picasso excl. - shaping up to be a disaster, bought June 2019. P/X'd
2009 Citroen C5 X7 exclusive, auto, LHD, 207500km (129000miles) now sold
Citroen Xsara Picasso excl. 2004 2.0 Hdi, RHD, 64000miles. (sold)
Citroen C3 Picasso excl. 2016. sold.
Two Xantias, one petrol, one diesel. sold.

In the past: Renault 16 (in about 1977, for a year). With front pass. seat out transported full bathroom suite from Cambridge to Derby!)
Renault 4TL (in 2011, for a year)

Post by rmunns »

Boris, British Gas won't exist for many more years. Everyone will have gone eco and installed air-source heat pumps for their eating.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

We must have one of the most unreliable boilers there is, its hopeless. Almost every few weeks during winter it breaks down and we have to have someone from British Gas to come and sort it out. Just last month it needed £950 worth of bits and servicing. Luckily we have that warranty cover thing and it gets serviced every year.

There seems to be a lot whch can go wrong on them and ours frequently does. We're on first name terms with the engineers and even have their mobile numbers! Its really that bad, its not very old either but aparently known for being a very bad model which was phased out quickly.

They do get sooted up very quickly though, ours evern starts pouring soot out of the bottom when it becomes too bad, and its serviced yearly. So that might be whats going wrong with yours.
Last edited by Citroenmad on 18 Jan 2010, 21:59, edited 2 times in total.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

This thread has wandered somewhat :roll: Garages to gas boilers :lol: :lol: That must be some kind of record!!!
Xac wrote: Jim and I replaced Cassy's head when one of the journals got damaged out in the road.
It did mean a few "interesting" late night conversations with passing local drunkards.
Happy days and great memories Xac :D

Not only did we do the head outside your house, what about Juliet's heater matrix?

That dead body in the hedge incident will be in my memory for a long time. I'll let you tell that tale....

I can make no comment in this thread as the only garage I use is the one by the side of my house. The very last time I used a garage for my own car in anger was in 2003 when my 405 failed its MOT on lower swivel joints and I was in the middle of moving house.

Same 405 developed a leaky steering ram the following winter and I took it to a garage for a quote to have it done. £660 :shock: No way. Despite the snow I did it myself for the cost of the ram and never looked back. Only time my cars see a garage is it MOT time.

And most of my work is carried out on my driveway. I have a garage but only a small pedal car would squeeze in there...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

And Juliet's radiator.
After filling her with just water to test for leaks one night, Danielle and I had a visit from one of said drunkards.
He couldn't understand why I was draining the water out of the system to then fill with coolant, we gather he thought water was all you needed!
His mobile went and his girlfriend was calling him saying she'd won karaoke singing "their" song and asked him to name it (the evil cow!).
After four failed attempts to get the right answer, she told him and sounded rather angry.
He'd also told us about getting his ex pregnant whilst being with his current girlfriend.
We expect to see him somewhen on Jeremy Kyle!
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

This has got to be one of the weirdest threads on here in a long time. Crap garages to gas boilers to pregnant ex-girlfriends.

When do we get onto the chicken's lip? :? :shock:

Can I hear a snipping sound yet?

Handyman :roll:
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Life at an indy - a snapshot of two days; one mechanic, one apprentice and myself (the hacker)...

Toyota troopy - front rotors, pads (sublet job)
Ashtray - cambelt (sublet, from same garage)
Mazda 323 - 4×new gas struts
Delica - new windscreen and sundry rego (MOT) items
C class - sundry bulbs, rego inspection, tyres, alignment (this outsourced)
Jetta - thermo housing and #$%#@$%@!# auto trans quadrant light bulb
Alfa - code scans, windscreen aperture prep, screen prep
Camry - don't recall why, but there had to be one there at some point!
Forester - wiring repairs after panel shop
Toyota people mover - road test and diagnose
Mazda ute - PAS hoses by mobile van, fluids, filters, full degrease

Customer dropoffs/pickups
Parts runs

We didn't do any gas boilers! :P
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote: We didn't do any gas boilers! :P
Or presumably get into any funny business with ex-girlfriends....

Busy day there Adam!

Handyman, yes a weird thread but all the same a good one. As I often say, I'm pretty laid-back about thread slippage.. The snip is a long way off yet.

The root problem with garages is that repairing cars is a skilled job. Skills cost money and if the public paid the real going rate for car work to be carried out by properly skilled mechanics and engineers, they could never afford or justify it.

Therefore, in the main, garages employ relatively lowly skilled people who cannot command high wages and thus allow the garages to charge what seems a reasonable rate to joe public. Quality suffers but then again, who is willing to pay say, £750 to £1.000, to have a clutch changed by a properly skilled and qualified person?

£200 from the local fast-fit bodgers seems far more reasonable to the public, even if the job is sub-standard and leads to complications later... In fact those complications a a nice little earner as the public are generally so easily hoodwinked into believing those complications arising from a bodge job are in no way related. Another £200 please...

The public wants it cheap, expects it cheap and so gets it cheap and therein lies the problem. Stuff any quality.

Mediocrity is ruling the day and it'll be the thing that sees us off.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

:D Ive just come off the 'vintage radio forum' Jim. :D :lol:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote::D Ive just come off the 'vintage radio forum' Jim. :D :lol:
Excellent :D I must visit again and see if I'm still able to log in.

What's your forum name Peter?
I need to get a little advice as I'm have a bit of a problem with one of my Bush VHF81s....
Jim

handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hi Jim, you have re-iterated exactly what I said earlier, the public gets the standard of service it deserves, as it pays by price not quality.

What I find amusing is that everybody is an 'expert' when it comes to car repairs and servicing and yet they are all willing to get hoodwinked when they shell out huge amounts of money on repairs to their houses or domestic appliances.

To paraphrase William Morris: "Buy cheap, buy twice." :shock:

Handyman
Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

In conclusion then..

Some garages may well be crap.

But not half as bad as Gas boilers or old boilers (ex girlfriends)

Regards.
Martin.
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

handyman wrote: What I find amusing is that everybody is an 'expert' when it comes to car repairs and servicing and yet they are all willing to get hoodwinked when they shell out huge amounts of money on repairs to their houses or domestic appliances.
There are a few off us that don't :wink:
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !