Mk2 Xantia 1.9TD with a/c auxilary belt running off pulleys

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

OK.. HDi thats VERY GOOD news :D

These engines do not break the Cam shafts or cap bearings, they are designed to just break the rocker fingers - or valve followers if you wish!

There is absolutly no need to remove the head, you only need to remove the rocker cover, and cam shaft carrier.. after getting the cam belt off..

Rocker cover is easy I think its 11 hex allen bolts..

Rocker fingers are about 11 quid each, there could be as little as one broken to 8 broken.. 1 for each valve..

By the sounds of it she could be one tooth out and all 8 could well have survived and simply putting the belt back to correct time could be all you need. If theres compression in the engine then your more then half way to being correctly set..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
bahouse
My Cars:

Post by bahouse »

Hi all

Just to update. I tried my friend's battery of his nissan micra, 300A, whereas mine is 600A. The car wouldn't start. So I am charging my battery at home, and see what tomorrow brings.

Will update tomorrow, as I suspect I should leave the battery charging overnight. But please, if you can help further in the meantime, I will be only more grateful.

Many thanks again

Bahouse
TodayCitroeningorUncitroened
bahouse
My Cars:

Post by bahouse »

Hi Paul

Thanks for your positive post and sorry for not seeing your last post, before my last one.

"after getting the cam belt off.."

Do you mean that the cam belt has to come off, although it's not broken as you say? If so, I might just as well put a new cambelt to ward off future disaster. Or will that not be necessary since you say HDI engine don't break the cambelt.

Could the job be done at my place, where the car is parked, by my mechanic friend or do I have to take it to the garage? It will have to be towed, which I don't mind as long as the garage won't tell me it's the cambelt etc.. with the quotes I mentioned before. I really was giving up on it until this forum suggestions and advice gave some hope.

Many thanks again.

bahouse
TodayCitroeningorUncitroened
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

OOPPPSSSS :oops:

HDi cambelts can and do break, what I meant to say, HDi engines do not break the Cam Shafts!! But im un-certain if the cam shaft has to come out to get at the rocker fingers - in which its these that break...

Id have to look into the spare engine here and see, but cant till the weekend, in which Im sure you'll find out before me..

Sorry for confusion, to repeat though, cam shafts dont break on HDi engines I meant...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto