is ther a walk through for changing rear Xantia wiper relay?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

is ther a walk through for changing rear Xantia wiper relay?

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hi,

Is there any detail please in changing rear wiper relays on the the forum please?

my estate wiper arm is intermittent at best and only seems to go when it pleases there has been no water running through the rear door for ages as I have applied a thin seam of body panel sealent along the lower rear screen rubber, it does work when you slam the door shut but this is a bit tricky whilst driving....lol.

I am guessing that it must be the relay sticking. can anyone enlighten me please?

thanks in advance regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

An intermittent rear wiper/heated rear window is more than likely down to the wires breaking inside the rubber boots at the top of the tailgate.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It is easy enough Nigel, just remove the interior trim on the tailgate (plus membrane if an estate) and the relay will be accessible. It's a blue one attached to the wiper motor frame.

As Richard says, it'll more likely be broken wires, especially if it's an estate.

It's more that just a relay too, it contains electronics to give the intermittent wiper delay.

Richard, on that subject, I have not forgotten about looking at changing the delay interval on the relay. I still have it in front of me here on my desk...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

ahh now that you mention that I did have some trouble with light wires inside the the rubber boot they had to be cut and soldered together, ahh you could be spot on there DickieG.

thanks for that, I'll check it out I bet the rubber boots are rock solid in this cold weather.

Thanks Jim I'll defiantely check this out, have you any idea which side contains the wiper wires please?

as i have two boots one at each side of the door?

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Slightly off topic : The delay circuitry is probably just the usual relay and a 555 timer IC onboard or very nearby. It's probably possible to lookup a timer delay circuit (Google will provide plenty if you search for something like 555 timer etc)

Replacing a resistor with one of a higher value (typically) in the timer circuit will achieve what's needed. A small pcb mounted potentiometer may be best as then you can get it exactly as you require.

:)
falling-out-with-my-car

Ive just been out with a torch and wriggled the left hand side boot and for the fist time ever I have just been able to lock the rear door on the remote without getting beeped at by the alarm telling me the locks havent engaged properly.

Im going to check these wires out all of them it would seem that this might answer more than one fault in the end.

would be useful to know which side contains the wiper wiring though?

regards Nigel.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

spider wrote:Slightly off topic : The delay circuitry is probably just the usual relay and a 555 timer IC onboard or very nearby.
No, actually, it's a special chip designed expressly for the purpose. A U642B.

Here's a data sheet on it...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Nigel,

I will consult my diagrams on the tailgate wiring and see which side it is...
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Just consulted and the wiper wiring goes down the nearside (LH) concertina...
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Remember not to just mend the breaks in the wiring but to splice anew piece in, a couple of inches long, to reduce the stress on the wires that caused the break in the fist place.