Xantia TD - Tyres / cam belt

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Xantia TD - Tyres / cam belt

Post by RichardW »

Right, straw poll time...
Need to replace the front tyres on my Xantia TD. For historical reasons (we've always had them) I would normally go for Michelin (what ever is the designation of the latest energy tyre - XT?) - and 'cos ATS are doing them at 25% off this month. I realise some people complain about a lack of grip, but to be honest, I have never found them wanting in the past on BX's and Visas, but then maybe I don't drive it hard enough - the car is fitted with some unknown make at the moment - Tigar or something - which are OK in the dry, but have become 'interesting' in the wet now the tread is <2mm..... I also like the fact Michelins last 30,000 miles (on the BX anyway). So anybody got any good arguments for fitting some other rubber?
Oh, and is the cambelt job as awkward as it looks with those bolts holding the covers on?
Cheers
Richard
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

In my opinion you need the best tyre performance in the wet and can largly ignore whats written about their dry performance, for the simple reason that most people drive well within the limits of just about any tyre when conditions are dry.
Add rain to the equasion and things change dramaticaly, speeds tend to remain unchanged despite the wet conditions, the driver can then very easily get beyond the capability of the tyre, especialy if the tyre is of low quality, poor design or geared towards high mileage capability.
The last two sets of tyres I have had are Goodyear Eagle Ventura in 205/15/60 not bad at just over fifty quid, and with the best wet performance write up of any tyre I could find, the set before them was Michelin Energy at a ridiculas £82, they felt horrible on the front, as if they were rolling under in any corner, glad when they wore out.
The most awkward bolt to remove is the rear one, you can't see it you can only feel it, and just to make it more fun for the first timer the head is 11mm where as the others are 10mm.
Best to undo and remove from the turbo the intake pipe, but just loosen the clip on the outlet pipe, so it moves about, if you don't do this you will be fighting the pipe and may even break it or the cam belt cover.
Dave
MW
My Cars:

Post by MW »

Must say my Michelins have always felt OK on my 95 Xantia (1.8 16v), and they do last well - 30K on the front, 40K on the back, unless you puncture them like I did[xx(]. I just got my front pair of Michelins replaced at ATS with the discount. Cost was £121 plus £21 VAT, balanced and on the car.
One thing I did notice, though, was that the old Mitches seemed to be a bit squishy round the tyre walls. Wow, the number of times I checked the tyre pressure 'cos they were looking low and found that they were actually well inflated. Is this a characteristic of the breed? And is this connected with what some people are calling a lack of grip? If so, I never noticed that problem.
digikid
My Cars:

Post by digikid »

I recently replaced all 5 original Michelin energy XH1 tyres on my 99 Xantia estate because I could see the carcass material through cracks in the tread grooves on 3 of them, at 29,000 miles. Obviously I didnt want to chance the other 2 surviving any longer!
The tyre fitter who replaced them wasnt surprised and said he had seen this failure before with these tyres.
I was going to replace like for like, but was advised to fit Michelin Pilot Primacy, they were only £2 more each at the time, and I must say I am very pleased with them. The immediate impression was of quietness and a more supple and soft ride at low speeds. There is plenty of grip and with 10,000 miles on them no serious wear is apparent.
John
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Update, I got the Ventura's fitted. Initial impressions are good - plenty of grip, much improved turn in and line holding round corners - especially in the wet! Trouble is the back end now feels like it is sliding round (still wearing the Tigar tyres, so might have to shell out for another set in a couple of months when my wallet has recovered!) Wait to see how they wear. Was £134 for 2 (185/65/15) though, so where did you get yours Dave?
One other question, what size is the crankshaft pulley bolt - I got the engine undertray off last weekend (with an angle grinder!) and found it larger than my biggest 21mm socket - assume it's 22mm?
Richard
roscopervis
My Cars:

Post by roscopervis »

You should always fit the best tyres on the rear of the car.
reffro
My Cars:

Post by reffro »

www.mytyres.net Goodyear Eagle Ventura's in your size are £51.10 inc Vat and delivery. This is the best place for buying tyres I have found. Dirt cheap, you just need to get them fitted locally.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

RW -
Ca'nt believe youre asking for help [:D][:D][}:)][}:)]
Crankshaft pulley needs 22mm socket, and will cost your back at least 2 weeks to recover, like the hub nuts.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Well, I don't want to buy more sockets than I need, do I??? Anyway, I borrowed a suitable one off a colleague[:D]
Richard
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Yep 22mm, best loosen it while the engine is hot because its got thread locking compound on it, you need a very good socket to fetch them out when cold.
Have a look at the top engine mounting, dont know when they started putting this on but there is a special rubber covered 34mm nut on later models so you might need something to tackle that.
Got shod at a local supplier near Chesterfield, Derbys.
Dave
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Ho ho ho..... Thanks Citroen!
Cambelt - what a nasty job - they couldn't have made it much more awkward could they? That nut on the front of the cambelt cover, and the one down the back that requires removal of both turbo pipes. Nice. At least I'll know next time not to struggle and rip the lot out at the beginning!
Oh well job nearly finished now. Am I glad I saved the money by DIY? Ask me in a few days.....
Richard
Few days later - car is much more responsive and flexible, so worth it [:D] Old belt was showing signs of cracking across the back so definitely in need of changing[:0] Enjoyed it SOOO much that my mate came round on Saturday and we did his well (clip on covers that time though, so slightly easier - apart from the jammed pulley, blocked up timing hole and seized tensioner!). Any body know a good shrink [?][?]
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Well, we have technical self help groups, perhaps it's time Jon created the "Dark Room" forum for mental therapy ?