Off Topic - Snow!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Featch
My Cars:

Post by Featch »

It's been a good few years but I remember my various GSs being brilliant in the snow. Even on the hills round Huddersfield where I used to live.

The very best snow vehicle I had though was a tiny 4x4 Subaru Sumo van. It'd go almost anywhere in any conditions, even outperformed a Landrover once - because two of us could actually pick it up at one end when we got stuck, it was so light.

Been out the ZX TD today and never even span a wheel. I've not attempted to use the awful Insignia hire car though, but somehow I get the feeling it wouldn't even cope with the camber never mind a hill. Might try it tomorrow just for the jape.

Andy
Citroenless at the moment. CX or GS that is my dilemma!
2011 Volvo V70 D3
85 Mercedes 805d Campervan (Betsy))
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Hi Richard

I live in Ryde now, just moved into our new house at the beggining of December and am i glad i put the central heating in! 5 years we lived in a flat with only 1 storage heater, you soon get tired of taking frozen clothes off the airer in the mornings!
Been out to chillerton today actually delivering coal, lovely place i even saw a CX driving through there at about lunchtime today, its a real minter too, i remember when we lived in newport being able to see the string of red lights on that mast as i done my paper round as a boy.
And you couldnt of moved any further from the island could you? :lol:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I live in Ryde, too - and Dean's evidently lying. :P Lovely warm days around 35°C at present.
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Dammit you've got me im actualy in shorts on the beach right now :lol: interesting thing is i have just moved from near Victoria Rd Ryde and if you type 'Ryde Australia' into google you get a map of ryde aus looking down on Victoria Rd.......

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

RichardW wrote:- my Dad has got a picture somewhere taken on the Military Road, probably in the 86/87 winter, of his Dyane (Citroen link!) next to a snowdrift that's higher than the roof! I remember that there were some houses down there that had snowdrifts right up to eaves level. We moved there in early '78, assured it 'never snowed on the IOW' - 2 weeks later my Dad was towing the milk float out of a snow drift with his Ami (8 Estate)
Get some pictures up...the dyane one sounds awesome 8)
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Sad to say weve only had a light dusting of snow here but have found some pics to show what we are missing

And this is some slight damage caused by shifting ice

Colin
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Excellent pictures :) Though i cant see them people getting very far with the cars they have found :lol:
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

A French girl I know spent her early years in Chicago and said her parents regularly had to use a 10' pole to find their car in the snow.

As Chris says, what they would do with it after that remains a mystery although I think the idea was just to dig it out to prevent it getting buried even deeper and be available once the roads were cleared.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Steve wrote
"her parents regularly had to use a 10' pole to find their car in the snow."

is that a 10' polish pole,

regards malcolm
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

It was indeed a highly polished Polish pole :)

I Hate Snow :)
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

myglaren wrote:It was indeed a highly polished Polish pole :)

I Hate Snow :)
That is hilarious!
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

:lol: Thats fantastic, very good.

Ive just been over to a friends about 15 miles away and they have so much more snow than us here. I had to rally my car into their street as it was just so deep i couldnt have stopped or i wouldnt have got going again. Helped clear their car and driveway for them, the snow was easily over a foot.

Parked my C5 next to what i thought was the pavement and couldnt get out of the doors as it was so high, the snow was over half way up the wheels. Though i actually was no where near the pavement when i did get out. Madness. Got some pictures on my phone which will hopefully be good and ill stick one up. Thankfully its much more civilised around here.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

I Hate Snow Smile
Brilliant :D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Citroenmad wrote:
Parked my C5 next to what i thought was the pavement and couldnt get out of the doors as it was so high, the snow was over half way up the wheels. Though i actually was no where near the pavement when i did get out. Madness. Got some pictures on my phone which will hopefully be good and ill stick one up. Thankfully its much more civilised around here.
I've found the ability to increase the ground clearance to be an advantage this week.

The first time I used it I thought that the suspension was bust though, loads of creaking and groaning.
It was snow and ice compacted into the wheel arches being dragged loose :)
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

I think i will take the XM out tomorrow and find out just how bad my new pirelli P zero nero's cope with the white stuff, good in the wet, superb in the dry but the tread pattern does not look snow friendly at all, we shall see.
Raising the ride height will be handy for getting through some of the drifts, although i dont think it will lift high enough to get me through the sort of drifts cought in my photo on the 'driving a xantia in snow thread', even with the xm's sleek shape :lol:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92