Xantia LPG issue

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

The newer style direct injection petrol engines cannot be LPG converted with todays kits :(
Direct petrol injection as in post intake valve, direct to combustion chamber.

Tinly tech huh, interestingly enough this kit is from tinley tech, I've only spoken to them once in the past to try and get a manual, which they duly sent me for an outrageous cost considering it was a printed PDF file :roll: Think I'll go for the ebay multi-valve kit linked earlier, it looks identical to the setup I have, prehapse Tinley tech are helpful if your a direct customer?

Thanks to everyone for their input, I have an idea of where to go from here :)
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
bxman
My Cars:

Post by bxman »

Sid_the_Squid wrote:The newer style direct injection petrol engines cannot be LPG converted with todays kits :(
Direct petrol injection as in post intake valve, direct to combustion chamber.

Tinly tech huh, interestingly enough this kit is from tinley tech, I've only spoken to them once in the past to try and get a manual, which they duly sent me for an outrageous cost considering it was a printed PDF file :roll: Think I'll go for the ebay multi-valve kit linked earlier, it looks identical to the setup I have, prehapse Tinley tech are helpful if your a direct customer?

Thanks to everyone for their input, I have an idea of where to go from here :)

It is pleasing to see how 22hours and 28 minutes and one cry for help on this forum can bring such authoritative knowledge to it's members.
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Here's a couple of shots of a Tomasetto mutivalve on my XM.

The Knurled 'disc' above the solenoid is the manual shutoff valve. The damp patch is penetrating oil.

Steve.
not applicable
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

rmunns wrote:I'm even more amazed at the comment:

Explosions are pretty unlikely because the pressure in the cylinder would eject the gas before any ignition source could reach inside.
If you're amazed by this comment, then you clearly don't understand the risks (or lack thereof) of LPG.

Also, the ability of "any old odd-job man" to fit an LPG system is good news... it means that the "healthandsafety" brigade haven't gotten to this industry and completely cocked it up for everyone yet.

TBH it's far more dangerous to change a petrol tank on a car than it is to fit an LPG system, and the day it becomes illegal to do work on your own car is the day I leave the country.
This is not a signature.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Sorry to hijack your thread a little but is your tank one of these?

http://www.tinleytech.co.uk/sizes.html#t

And it seems to be fitted in the place of a spare wheel, is this right? also how is it mounted? Is it bolted through the boot floor or has some welding gone on underneath to support it??

Just interested for the future as with fuel now costing me 113p a litre and LPG near me for 47p i may go back to it and even try fitting it myself...
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Hi KP,
The tank I have fitted is this one
Full Toroidal (single and four-hole).
Its a 55 liter version, which means you can get a max of about 45 liters in it, and that's rarely. It sits instead of the spare wheel, I believe its bolted through the floor, although I've not really checked.
Personally if I were fitting an LPG conversion, I would use a larger tank say 75 liters, and put it in the boot, far better than loosing a spare wheel IMO.
I say a larger tank because our 1.8 manages 21~23mpg on LPG which on 45 (max) liters is quite a short range, meaning I'm visiting the petrol station once a week instead of bi-weekly which is annoying.
Of course mileage will vary by engine & gearbox combo, as well as the LPG system you choose, the multi-point are more frugal than the single point, but more complex to install.
You thinking of fitting to your Activa? in which case you have to use a multi-point system because of the turbo, imagine pushing LPG & air through a turbo :twisted:
Be careful what multi point system you go for as some switch back to petrol automatically at high revs, some don't. I cant advise you which ones do and which ones don't, I'm not sure myself, but have stumbled across tails of both, some like this feature some don't, depending on what you want really. oh and budget for a flash-lube kit to save your valves, most LPG suppliers will sell them, very simple setup and not a lot of extra cost.
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
aerodynamica
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C5 Exclusive Tourer
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD VSX Mk1 Sinker A.K.A Slugmobile 13'
'Old Katy'
previous convictions: totaling 52litres of LHM in one go:
1968 ID19B 'Old Polly' Stellar white
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD SX Mk1 Sinker Silver
1992 XM 2.0 SEi Turbo Manual Anthracite Grey
1982 CX 20 Pallas 'Old Goldy'
1993 XM 2.1 SD Auto Light blue
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD SX Mk1 Sinker light Blue
1982 BX 16 TRS 'Cyril' Vallelunga Red
1995 Xantia 1.9 D SX Auto Dark green
1977 CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic 'Aphrodite' Regatta Blue
1982 GSA Pallas SE Silver Pearl
1980 CX 2000 Reflex Vallelunga Red
1978 CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic 'Prometheus' Midnight blue
1984 BX 14E 'Cecil the slugmobile' Maroon
1987 Fiat Panda 'the mighty panda'

Post by aerodynamica »

the ability of "any old odd-job man" to fit an LPG system is good news... it means that the "healthandsafety" brigade haven't gotten to this industry and completely cocked it up for everyone yet.
Yes, but you need a bit of sense to set about fitting a whole system (nomatter how simple) from scratch to a(ny) vehicle that did not originally come specced with such an installation: Long term malfunctions such as vibration damage to ill-though out pipe routings and non insulated wiring connections are potentially (though admittedly, not inevitable) accidents waiting to happen. It's probably more to to with the design of LPG components themselves and the way they MUST be assembles to even work that governs how fail 'safe' the are than how well they're installed. Even so, it's far from fool proof: at the closest gas filling station to myself, I often see a guy with an LPG-equipped Jaguar. He has the gas filling point in the car's boot -actually IN the boot (presumably near to or directly to the tank). This would not pass an LPGA Codes of practice 11. inspection! Amazingly, the guy must know it's dodgy because he leaves the boot open while paying in the booth, returns to the car, starts up and only just befor departing, does he close the boot! (not that it would help as propane is heavy and will happily sit for years at the lowest points of the car boot waiting for a stray cigarette ember one day)

The low reported incidents of noteworthy accidents 'caused' by LPG fuel systems is good news but if there is potential for serious injury then a wave of H&S might justifiably be a sensible reaction. Until that day however, I'd agree with you. But there IS a potential for serious injury in modifying your car (E.g. lowered steel suspension) that insurance companies quite rightly insist on having made record. It's all about potential to harm as opposed to harm itself.

Anyway, I'm just delighted at the surprisingly high number of LPG users on here! I did not know!
Graeme M
2008 C5 Exclusive Tourer 2.0 HDi
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I've always wondered, do some installation places offer LPG tanks that replace your normal fuel tank, and then give you a smaller doughnut petrol tank to replace the spare wheel?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Xac wrote:I've always wondered, do some installation places offer LPG tanks that replace your normal fuel tank, and then give you a smaller doughnut petrol tank to replace the spare wheel?
I don't know the answer to that but I presume the tank shape would be an issue due to the pressure involved, petrol tanks can be any shape whatsoever to suit the vehicle whereas tanks containing a substance under pressure are generally a sphere/rounded shape for reasons of strength.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

I have seen them. They are offered IIRC for larger 4X4's where they have 2 sill type tanks and a large one replacing the nromal petrol tank and then a small, say 10-20litre tank in the boot to one side for petrol.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

I have thought about it for the Activa :)

wouldn't need a big tank as not many journeys i do are that big and the route home takes me past the cheapest LPG place nearby.

I thought Flashlube was for the older valve stem seals, like the unleaded type ones and the newer engines, like the turbo activa, did not need them??

The Multi point injection is what i would go for anyway and one that doesn't cut out at high revs, had that happen before and didn't like it. MPi as well gives more adjustability i feel when setting it up :) and possibly more power than standard as well :D
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

I think offically your right about Flashlube, however fuel will still be offering some kind of lubrication and cooling action against the valves, espically if you like to revv high, as you would in a sporty car, hence why flashlube would be useful even if not mandatory, personally would give me some peice of mind. A multipoint is definatly the better choice for power :)
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx