c5 hdi coolant leak maybe

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

boristhespie wrote:Thanks will do. Tried to see if the area around the thermo housing was leaking. No sign of liquid but it must be that.

Funny thing re running. The car has felt more alive since taking it out if that makes sense. Maybe thats a placeobo on my bonce.

Anyway here ges anotehr ltre of coolant. I am off home. Feel much better with the light back again. No more 3pm darkies.
NOTE: IT aint coming out of the housing for thermo.
C'est pas possible!
TopDonkey
My Cars:

Post by TopDonkey »

You have all the symptoms that my car had a month ago, and the cylinder head is off and in my kitchen at the moment, i delayed taking the head off for a month hoping that it wasnt the head gasket and carried on driving it and topping up the coolant on each journey, but decided in the end that it was time to pull it, and the head gasket had gone, and i now wish i had done it sooner as i have rust on the side of the bore in no3 cylinder where the water has been forced in after the engine was stopped and has rusted and lightly pitted the bore

so, if you think the head gasket has gone, best to do it sooner rather than later otherwise you could do irreperable damage to the cylinder wall
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

YEah. Thing is it's two months since I had this problem and 5000 miles. NO doubt the git who offloaded the car onto me had this for a while too.
C'est pas possible!
TopDonkey
My Cars:

Post by TopDonkey »

Snap!, i bought my 406 about 2 months ago too, no mention from the seller that it was loosing coolant though, i was hoping it was something easier than a head gasket, but sadly it wasnt and i now have my engine in bits scattered all over the place !, got to get it running soon as the insurance on my other car runs out in 9 days time
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Well, the jury is in. Bubbles (tiny) in reservoir when revving. So ther we have it. Knackered cylinder head.

I phone a garage who said upwards of 500 to fix, but that they would have to look for the cause too. Very unusual in the HDi engine so doesn't want to put a new HG in only for me to return 3 weeks later with it knackered again.

Must be something like a blocked radiator or knackered thermostat (!!!!)
now it's clear there has been an issue with the HG from the start but it is also clear that Myglaren was right about the thermo because since it's removal the radiator has been warm.

My problem is that I now have two knackered C5's (one bought to get me to work because of the other one being knackered) on top of a knackered boiler.

So skint that we have been without heat in the house and hot water since before Christmas. (our pipes froze when we were away)

So there we have it. Will have to put other things off to get car in garage. Will do next week hopefully.

Will have to take the train to work (there goes wages).

I know it is buyer beware but if it is the case the guy lied about not knowing, would there be any comeback?

One word: BUGGER! lol

Guess cars and me don't get on. :P :P, but at least I aint in Haiti with 250,000 dead!!!! :(

Incidentally Myglaren, watched Bercy last nice. Jeez that was one expensive show.
C'est pas possible!
TopDonkey
My Cars:

Post by TopDonkey »

Do the head hasket yourself and save £400!, my local machine shop charges £45 to do a check skim and clean the head and clean out the inlet manifold in their hot dip machine, and then its £40 for a decent head gasket

So for less than £100 and 2-3 days work, you can have your car back on the road

My head will be back on tuesday, and i will have my car running by next weekend
TopDonkey
My Cars:

Post by TopDonkey »

I forgot to add that HDI head gaskets are quite common to blow if your thermostat or rad fans stop working and your engine overheats, so you have already found the cause
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Do the head hasket yourself and save £400!, my local machine shop charges £45 to do a check skim and clean the head and clean out the inlet manifold in their hot dip machine, and then its £40 for a decent head gasket

So for less than £100 and 2-3 days work, you can have your car back on the road
Thanks but other than replacing the polen and air filters, taking out the thermostat and replacing a bulb, I really have zero experience of doiing any major job on a car. I would have no idea where to start.

Besides, I live on the street and have noowhere to do this neither.

it's looking like at least 500 quid and probably more.

I will try and get the cam done and new water pump but expect them to add a significant amount on for what would be a cheap job.

One good thing is that it would need a new cam in 10k anyway and last time I had that done it cost me 795 quid. So at least it will be two in one. Just timing is unfortunate but can't be helped. :roll:
C'est pas possible!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The £795 for the timing belt was downright robbery!

I don't think that you would have any legal recourse against a private seller, especially as you have had the car a while now and been to France and back. The thermostat could have failed in the interim period and caused the gasket to fail.

I appreciate that it will push the finances but it would be an advantage to have the timing belt and water pump replaced together with the head gasket.
In fact I wouldn't think that they would risk refitting the belt. The additional cost would likely only be that of the cost of parts as head removal demands the removal of the timing belt and swapping out the water pump is only a few moments work.

The Avant Que L'ombre concert at Bercy was indeed a spectacular and expensive event. The curtain of falling water was astonishing, I liked the intro with the glass sarcophagus and acolytes bearing it over the descending bridge between the two stages. She caught hell for that in the press, pretending to be dead - as if anybody would swallow that one, idiots.

The Mylenium Tour is a close second, stage sets by Hans Geiger, who is one of her mates :)
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

YEah a lot of cash spent for one off props.

The version I got was HD not sure what flavour 720p, 1080i or 1080p?

But nice to watch something abit different and I see her likeness in Arthur and the Minmoys which I caught in france a few years back and she's again voicing the princess in Arthur and the Minimoys: Baltazaars Revenge (I think it is called) out at Christmas time in France. Not sure if it will open here?
C'est pas possible!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

boristhespie wrote:YEah a lot of cash spent for one off props.

The version I got was HD not sure what flavour 720p, 1080i or 1080p?

But nice to watch something abit different and I see her likeness in Arthur and the Minmoys which I caught in france a few years back and she's again voicing the princess in Arthur and the Minimoys: Baltazaars Revenge (I think it is called) out at Christmas time in France. Not sure if it will open here?
I was surprised at the likeness in "Arthur & Minimoys" but presumed it was just a coincidence and that she was doing the voice-over dubbing for an American production. Only seen clips though, not the whole thing or the original.
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

ALL the quotes I am getting ar upwards of £1000.

Can't afford that. Eh...train + buses + late nights for me and two cars to the scrappy methinks. (Joke)

NOTE: Finally received my thermostat today. A tad late for helping me car ordered it from Eurocarparts a couple of weeks ago.

They tried to deliver but being at work from 9-5, I was never in and they wouldn't leave it in safe place I have or give it to neighbour who was in.

Anyway I had to reorder so got my mum to order it so that it would be delivered there and they got suspicious and canceled on her.

So I phoned and put her on, they reordered it with next day delivery on Wednesday morning and it arrived today, Monday morning.

Oh and I paid extra for a new seal and it came without one but charging me for it.

So no they are going to send another "out by POST" and I should have it by Thursday.

Why they never sent it by post the first time I don't know.

After they sent the wrong fuel filter and housing the first time I ordered something from them and I had to get dealer to do it cost, I can't say I am that impressed.

Maybe others here have better luck. :D
Last edited by boristhespie on 16 Feb 2010, 17:44, edited 1 time in total.
C'est pas possible!
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Okay.

I ahev really struggled to get prices. The local Bosch garage will be way tooooo expensve. They are non commital and it starts from over 1000 before skim etc. (They said the parts for head gasket the cambelt and pump came to over 550 quid, is that right? Plus 15 hours labour for the work)

I tried phoning other Bosch garages and have got around 1000 upwards too. Guess they all use the same system for pricing. I did get one however who quoted 550 for head gasket but they are very far away and out of the bus routes etc.

So am trying my towns little garages. Problem is without testimony from customers how can I be sure I am getting a good garage that will be hassle free adn where costs wnt escalate.?

Any tips?
C'est pas possible!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Depends on what parts they are going to fit... Minimum (prices from GSF, + VAT!):

Head gasket: 27.30
Head bolts: 17.50
Cambelt kit: 54.50 (they don't list the cambelt separately surprisingly, but I'm sure you could get one for about £20 - but it's probably worth doing the tensioner at the same time.
Water pump: 35 (not listed specifically, but I suspect this is the cost - you'd be daft not to replace the pump! )
Coolant: £30 or so?
Rocker cover gasket: not listed, but say £20
Probably also need thermostat housing gasket and inlet / exhaust manifold gaskets - maybe another £50 from Citroen.

So that's £235 + VAT give or take. If you need a new crank pulley, add another £100, aux belt if it's suspect £10.

£550 seems a bit OTT :evil:

The camblet is probably about 4 hours labour, so add another 4 hours to get the head off, 4 hours to get it back on, and you get to 12 hours - 15 hours is probably not too far off the mark. 15 hours at £40 = £600 labour. Assuming you can get it off without having to drop the subframe to get at the turbo....

Add in head skim at 50, and you're looking at 600 + 235 + 50 = 885. plus VAT = £1040. £1500 seems a bit steep, but I doubt it will be much less than £1k :cry:

How much did you pay for the car? Might be worth sticking it on e-bay spares or repairs and spending the £1k on something else....
Richard W
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Can't afford to get rid like that really. Spent too much to take a hit and need a car. So will have to get repaired.
C'est pas possible!