Should it stay or should it go?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

THELABMAN
My Cars:

Post by THELABMAN »

I owned a 405 petrol 1.6GL many years ago and it was one of the most uncomfortable cars to drive I've ever been in.

The seat squab was to short and gave no support and the back was no better stopping support below shoulder height, I used to literaly fall out of it in agony after a 20 mile journey home from work, give me my Xantia anyday for comfort it's the clsoest I've to come to comfortable driving since I got rid of my 3 litre Granada Ghia Automatic.
Citroen C5 2.0 HDI SX Hatchback - 2002 (52)
Xantia Sensation 1.9TD (T) Mallard Green (Gone to the breakers)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If it was a '95 onward - they were all like that. I could put up with the shortness but not the hardness. The STDT has lovely comfortable seats.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

I've gotta add some support for my xantia estate for a comfortable drive I dont think many modern cars would beat it esspecially as tyre pressures seem to be rising on the modern cars now at around 45psi all round.

all this talk of xantias being under powered with a 1.9 diesel engine is confusing to me, as there are good well set up engines and poorly set up engines the same applys to turbo's some kick in early and some a little later all effecting performance to a degree.
I have no complaints about how my xantia performs it is still powerful enough to feel the seat pushing you forward when you accelerate rapidly.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Nigel

I am only saying that they are underpowered in comparison with the 405, if you have driven one you will know what I mean. Its a similar comparison with the BX, that only had the 1800 engine but it was a pocket rocket compared with the Xantia purely because it was so light, in fact my wife now has a ZX which replaced a BX TZD, she was a boy racer in that and didn't much like the leisurly acceleration, she has got used to it now but it certainly doesn't have the keenness that the BX did. Compared with yesteryear the performance of the Xantia is excellent, especially for a diesel but the increase in weight, mainly because of all the built in safty factors has taken its toll on the performance.

Peter
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Well £645 later I brought my xantia Home today and almost forgot how enjoyable a drive she was.

I am very happy with all the work done by Martin and esspecially the short time it took him to do all the jobs which would have certainly taken me probably a month or more.

the suspension is much better now the height corrector has been replaced after seizing just before Christmas and snapping the adjuster.
the rear N/s radius arm bearing has also been replaced and I reckon the old one was effecting the ride a bit to.

Hopefully she will be nice to me for a while because my pockets are nearly empty. :lol:

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

For a long menu of fiddly jobs, that sounds pretty decent. I spent 90+ minutes just resetting the front ride height.
falling-out-with-my-car

addo, just gotta persue this new drivers door now, trouble is it snowed again last night all night so not much chance of getting out to the main roads any time soon. its pretty deep and drifting to. might have to raise the suspension I reckon.

regards Nigel.