Driving Xantia in snow

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Just got back from a meal out with Danielle's brother and his girlfriend to Red Hot (there's a misnomer, Danielle's chicken curry was pink inside, and the chef came out and claimed it was because they used leg meat, yeah right, and £72 for 4 of us with a drink each was a rip off).
We went round to the the Beefeater by the Xscape centre for a drink before taking them back to their hotel.
Leaving the car park there was a Jag wheel spinning like crazy trying to get onto the main road.
He kept reversing and then flooring it to try and get a run up.
Of course, being rear wheel drive, he was really strugging, the front of his car was out in the road (so cars on it were having to dodge him) while the rear wheels span and span.
Eventually he managed to get going so we could move up.
Juliet pulled out with no trouble at all :D
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

I hate all this nanny state health and saftey garbage people worrying about others going on the ice on a pond for gods sake we used to be able to skate on our local pond when it froze over I watched my dad donn his clip on skates for the first time in about forty years and skate around the pond, no one cared how dangerous it was the ice was about 3 inches thick .

if you go on an icy pond now people say ooo you cant do that its to dangerous. serve them right if the ice was to thin they should have checked more carefully before putting their weight on it. you can actualoy hear it cracking if it isnt thick enough it makes pinging noises.

life is all about mishaps and having fun to, all this nanny crap spoils the fun for everyone, accidents happen thats life, but it shouldn't spoil it for everyone else.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I wouldn't describe falling through ice to your death as a "mishap"
Tragedy would be a better word for it.t

DIY sphere tool
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

ok then Xac,

tradegys happen.

but it seems only when the brain isnt used which still spoils it for everyone
who uses theirs.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
lurchy666
My Cars: citroen c5 hdi 2.2 auto estate

Post by lurchy666 »

ok just thought i'd add the pics of my car after the little mishap on the ice, it has done the slam panel, rad, a/c rad, rad fan and cowl, passenger headlight, grill, bonnet, and bumper,

c5 2.2 auto hdi estate 52 reg
falling-out-with-my-car

lurchy,

just had a quick look at Beevers auto Panels and the news is.

slam panel £33.41
headlight £84.06
Grill £ 26.19
Bonnet £112.70
Bumper £93.15

rad and ac rad add another £100 each roughly not available from them.

panels are all primered and delivery is usually cheap at around a tenner for next day delivery.

my mate had someone reverse over his front end with a tow bar on a 4x4 did pretty much the same damage as yours. the body shop said it was an uneconimical repair but I found Beevers Auto panels online and they recosted and repaired his car saving 600 quid on parts. they decided to order all future panels from them as thery were so reasonable.

hope this helps some.

regards Nigel.
lurchy666

Post by lurchy666 »

cheers nigel that little list costs 350 with out the rad and a/c rad so to me it aint worth doing, as i said before my uncle has a volvo with lpg for 300 so i might go for that, but thanks a lot for the prices
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

lurchy666 wrote:cheers nigel that little list costs 350 with out the rad and a/c rad so to me it aint worth doing, as i said before my uncle has a volvo with lpg for 300 so i might go for that, but thanks a lot for the prices
Im sure you could get hold of that little lot for £100 or so from the scrappy, I picked up a fully working headlamp for a tenner.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Scrapyards are our friends :)

DIY sphere tool
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

What about Paul (citroenxm) for the panels, you out there Paul?
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Xac wrote:Scrapyards are our friends :)
....Well most of the time.

andmcit wasn't best pleased when I showed him this photo. For those not in the know, he was after a bonnet and a couple other panels.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

the wing mirror is still good, its still good
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

red_dwarfers wrote:andmcit wasn't best pleased when I showed him this photo. For those not in the know, he was after a bonnet and a couple other panels.
I thought he was after a S1 bonnet? The one in the photo looks like its an S2.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

The scrapyard Jim and I go to takes a very dim view on bonnet walkers.

DIY sphere tool
lurchy666

Post by lurchy666 »

rang a few scrappys around here and visted the local ones ( even found one with 7 xantia's in at narborough near kings lynn norfolk my mate told me about them)

found one diesel xantia in a scrap yard near me (out of 5 scrap yards near me he's the only one with a xantia in) but it had a totally smashed front end and a omega sitting on top of it and when i gave him the list of bits i needed he just laughed at me and said it'd be better to get a whole car off fleabay and scrap what i didn't want (i did consider it but xantias seem to be making a bit of money on fleabay at min),

i have got to call the scrappy near narborough but i have been told by mates that everything is expensive there, last time a mate went there for a headlight for a mk1 c0rsa it was 35 quid and my mate had to take it off, god knows what he'd want for a fron tend of a xantia

also i've got to consider i need to do the clutch on it as well cause it is slipping when ever you put any sort of load on the back end of the car, it'd be fine if i just want to use car on its own but if i keep car i got a 1300 kg twin axle caravan to tow some time in july which i know is to heavy for the xantia anyway,

worst thing is cause my dad was driving on his fully comp insurance for another car he was only covered 3rd party to drive my car, so the insurance wouldn't want to know, i was considering putting it out on road and say it got hit during night with some one sliding into car as my road is like a skating rink, (a bit naughty i know, )