??Tyre Question??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Guru Meditation

??Tyre Question??

Post by Guru Meditation »

Hi all,
I will be needing new tyres for my 93 zx td aura soon and have decided to try for some Continental PremiumContacts. The tyre size listed for my car is 175/65x14 and the PremiumContacts in this size are £50 each. The 185/60x14 Premium contacts are £40 each. My question is what should I do? Will fitting the 185 tyres have any adverse effects on the handling, fuel consumption etc? I realise that the volcane has the same wheels as my car but with 185/60s instead of 175/65s but what would you do, stick with 175s and pay £40 more for four tyres or put on the 185s?
See you
Guru Meditation.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Wider and with a slightly smaller diameter, they'll use a tiny amount more fuel. The ride will be very slightly harder but you may not notice. If I had room under the arches, I would go for the 185s
reffro
My Cars:

Post by reffro »

You could make the change, but you need to bear in mind the circumference of the 185's is 3% less than the 175's. So you are going to get a speedo that over-reads plus increased fuel consumption, by choosing the 185's. You should have more grip with a wider contact patch on the road, but that also increases the rolling drag of the tyres further hurting fuel economy. At the end of the day what you save on the cost of the tyres you'll lose in fuel economy over the life of the tyres, and have a over-reading speedo, I'd swallow the £40 and go with the 175's. Just my opinion....
I stand corrected in light of the reply below, it is about 0.8% difference, but I still think you should go with what was specified originally. Like I say its only my opinion.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

According to the tyre profile calculator on the Nordic Audi website, 185/607/14's have only an 0.8% shorter circumferance than 175/65/14's (http://www.nordicaudi.com/), FAQ/Däck och Fälg ABS/Däckberäkningar.
So you're not going to get any noticable inaccuracy on the speedo anmd who knows the difference in rolling resistance? some modern low profile tyres have less resistance than the equivalent higher profile.
//NiSk
sv4195
My Cars:

Post by sv4195 »

There is a tyre calculator in English at http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html
shezads

Post by shezads »

Hi,
I agree with NiSk. I have a Volcane td which has the 185 60's. I would go for these - as overall you will improve the handling. The difference in fuel consumption will hardly be noticed.
I've had premium contacts on the front of my car. These are good in the dry, but not in the wet.
I have just ordered 4 Bridgestones re720's @ £36 each from http://www.mytyres.net/start.html. I have found them to be the cheapest.
The Bridgestones are a higher performance tyre - with very good grip in both wet and dry. Does wear quicker than other tyres such as michelins, although Bridgestone provides better handling, steering feel etc - due to softer compund. Well worth the compromise imo.
Hope this helps.