suspension Q's

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deian

Post by deian »

Well i've opened it up and it is quite obvious there is one electrovavle driver burned and got dry joint cos of heat. There is something on the otherside that looks similar that i will also replace.

I will post the pictures soon too, I also made a note of the numbers on the replaceable components for future reference.

I understand what your saying richard, but it's broken anyway and it will still be broken whether i make it worse or not, the suspension will still work in hard mode right (mechanically able but not electronically). I will risk replacing the parts and i will send it over to you (or jim if u are unable to at the time), where are u richard?

I find it quite cool that the french decided to build this whole ecu just to make the car able to be soft and hard on the ride, one ecu to control two electrovalves.

I will post my pictures soon. Oh and Richard, it is a H4 ecu too, which means the hydractive 2 as you quite rightly said. I still need to find that technical document too, I couldn't get into the club-xm forum to get the diode types for the electrovalves, has anyone got any diode type/code for me so i can order it with the valve drivers?

what about any components for doing the LED mod? I suppose I will need a few components to do that too. I'm sure mandrake did it, I will go hunt him down and pick his brains.

Thanks for all your help so far richard. (and everyone else)

Maplin tonight.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

deian wrote:where are u richard?
Between Slough and Uxbridge, just west of the M25
deian wrote:I will post my pictures soon. Oh and Richard, it is a H4 ecu too, which means the hydractive 2 as you quite rightly said.
XM and Xantia Hydractive ECU's are exactly the same, its the programming on the car that's different.
deian wrote:I still need to find that technical document too, I couldn't get into the club-xm forum to get the diode types for the electrovalves, has anyone got any diode type/code for me so I can order it with the valve drivers?
For VN05N's you could try Ebay as the last time I inquired at Maplins they no longer stocked them, IIRC I got mine from a company in Scotland via Ebay. For the diodes I used 1N4007 (Maplins part number QL79L).
deian wrote:what about any components for doing the LED mod? I suppose I will need a few components to do that too. I'm sure mandrake did it, I will go hunt him down and pick his brains.
For the LED mod there's some info here

Here's the link to Simons pictures.

Loads of useful/piccies info from Activa Club France here
deian wrote:Thanks for all your help so far richard. (and everyone else)
Not a problem, I know how you feel with this, been there :roll:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
deian

Post by deian »

Here are pics of my ECU:

(right top back)
see top e.valve driver with dry joints (don't even seem soldered anymore)

(main board) see where the 'wings' are, middle left (bottom) on left tab seems burned/corroded (see pic below), as is the top right e.valve driver (see above pic)

(front of top left wing as per above photo, taken 90o ccw), see corrosion on the 'malaysia' chip, what does this one do?

Here are the details of the chips for any future reference:

(lines are denoted by a dash, the ecu is from a xantia 1.9td vsx 1995 manual black, manual bosch diesel pump, no keypad)

HYDRACTIVE II - H4 ECU

NUMBERS:
VALE0 - MADE IN FRANCE - 73810802 - 9610493180 - 12V 27.94 - H4 S2G2G - 0

Sockets Facing: Up as per middle photo:

LEFT side tab

TOP: L4705CV - 8AC418 - ST SING (SEEMS OK)
MIDDLE: STA418 - MALAYSIA - BUZ11 (CORRODED)
BOTTOM: BLANK

RIGHT side tab

TOP: VN05N - 8AB418 - ST SING (BURNED, DRY ON THE BACK SIDE)
MIDDLE: BLANK
BOTTOM: SAME AS TOP (SEEMS OK)

PROCESSOR: TEXAS INSTRUMENTS - 4????JW - TMS????O056 - R356???NA - 75076016 2.G
OTHERBIG CHIP: TEXAS INSTRUMENTS - 4091E3W - R31004FNA - 75076026 2.G

Feels free to fill in the blanks for the TI processor, it may help some geek somewhere to reverse engineer something, not that it matters because it would be silly to think of replacing that!

So, how does my H4 Ecu look? (different from the one posted by Richard earlier on in the thread, was that one from an XM by any chance?).
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The corroded Malaysian Dei, is a BUZ11 mosfet (datasheet) A type of power transistor. It'll be used I expect as a voltage stabiliser as the device below it (LN4705) is a 5V (7805-type) voltage regulator.

If one of the VN05s has bid a fond farewell then it's possible it's taken the BUZ11 with it although these things can run terribly hot and not suffer.

It'll be worth checking there are no shorts on your electrovalve wiring or the electrovalves themselves although a VN05 will current limit to protect itself normally.

Replace them and see how it goes, you have nothing to loose...

Be interested to see the results :D

Don't worry about the lumps of smooth brown goo around the electrolytics. They've not leaked, it's just a protective coating. A coating we used to call "tropicalising" in the old days. It keeps any moisture out.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
deian

Post by deian »

Would it be a logical assumption to think that the diodes on the electro valves would cause the electronics to malfunction and not vice versa?

I'll go hunting for the four transistors on the wings now. If maplin don't have them maybe RS would.

Thx
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The diodes normally go open-circuit Dei and it is unusual for it to immediately kill a VN05 but eventually over time it is very possible it will become the victim of back-emf generated by the electrovalves due to the non-functional diodes.

EDIT: Farnell might be a better bet than Maplin or RS...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
deian

Post by deian »

RS have the e.valve transistors, and the buz11 one (comes back as something else, but the code must have changed), as for the L4705CV thats harder to find, i'll look at Farnell now.

I thought the back emf would eventually cause havoc in the ecu, so i will do the diode fix on the electrovalve cable before plugging in the ecu after getting the faults cleared.

Thanks for ur help guys. Much appreciated.