V6 starting probs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Stempy wrote:The two relays are in the engine fuse box, they are brown, the aircon one is to the passenger side of the fuses.
A MK1 is very different in this area. The starter inhibit relay is a violet one in the engine fuse box next (if you don't have headlamp washers) to an empty relay base.

Lexi, I've not forgotten to post details of the mod, I've only just this minute finished for the day. All will be revealed in my blog...

I reckon that there is a good chance the starter will be OK if you do the mod Lexi. Worth a try before spanking out on a starter.

Rare Stempy? They're used on all V6s so how can they be rare? :lol:

Count up all the V6 owners on here and one could be forgiven for thinking they're extremely commonplace!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Well I guess from a suppliers point of view they could be rare when compared to a Mondeo.

Sounds like the inhibit relay is in the same place, just a different colour. Its a 25A change over with a couple of diodes on my Mk2.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Good stuff guys. Funny enough I aint seen another V6 Xantia out and about for yonks. Even standard models are drying up. Best get these spares while ya can because scrappy is gonna be shaking his head shortly when you go in.........Then Paul will be a wealthy man with them spares he got stashed :lol:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

myglaren wrote:PRV is Peugeot-Renault-Volvo.
PSA is Peugeot Société Anonyme.

As Malcolm says, the angle of the cylinder banks differentiates them.
Scuse me? Malcolm?? :lol:

Not seen Citronut post here just yet :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Been a long day Steve? :wink:

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

No, I was just playing the joker Stempy. They are seriusly rare by F**d standards!

Right, here's the mod.

First up, a circuit of the standard starter circuit. 1005 is the violet start inhibit relay...

Standard V6 Starter Circuit

This is the Modified circuitshowing the additional relay.

I took the live feed for it from the unused (in my case) Engine Bay fusebox F6 which feeds the headlamp washer timer relay which if fitted sits next door to the start inhibit relay (violet) in the engine bay fuse box.

I carefully removed both the unused washer relay base and the start inhibit relay base from the fuse box by releasing their holding tangs and rotating them a few degrees in their bayonets to release them.

I then carefully prised off the red underside insert on the relay bases to allow the wires, complete with the spades, to be removed from the bases.

I left the wires to pin 5 (supply from F6) and Pin 2 (earth) in place on the washer relay base but removed the wire from pin 4, insulated it and hid it away. The wire to pin 3 I cut to about an inch and a half long. The wire originally to pin 1 I cut about an inch and a half long and removed it from the base to give me a tail with a relay spade connector on the end.

From the start inhibit relay base I removed the wire going to pin 5 and moved it to pin 1 on the washer relay base. I inserted the tail I removed from pin 1 of the washer relay base into pin 5 of the start inhibit relay base and then jointed the ends of the wires from pin 5 of the start inhibit relay base and pin 3 of the washer relay base with a butt crimp.

Refit the red relay base inserts.

Insert a black 25A relay in the washer relay base and job done! Enjoy a reliable starter!

Another mod I did was to do away with the two-pin connector by the aircon pump that carries the starter solenoid feed. It's a single white wire in black curly trunking. I replaced the connector with a butt crimp as the connector is barely up to the job.

If you do have headlamp washers, you'll have to mount another relay base somewhere else but you can still "borrow" a supply from F6 as you won't ever be washing headlamps and starting at the same time!

I hope that makes sense....

Just to complete the diagrams. This is the circuit of the headlamp washers showing F6 and the washer timer relay 5400 to indicate the wires you're borrowing for the mod.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

citroenxm wrote:
myglaren wrote:PRV is Peugeot-Renault-Volvo.
PSA is Peugeot Société Anonyme.

As Malcolm says, the angle of the cylinder banks differentiates them.
Scuse me? Malcolm?? :lol:

Not seen Citronut post here just yet :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Been a long day Steve? :wink:

Paul
It's called Admin Fatigue Paul. It comes about from the extremely heavy moderation Steve and I constantly have to do on this forum :lol: :lol: :lol:

The ES9J4 V6 has PR V6 on many castings rather than PRV as it was never used in Volvos.

The PRV V6 was also known as the "Douvrin" after the town where they were made.
Jim

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Jim,

Yes, I was aware Volvo Pulled out, but wasn't sure if it WAS during PRV times, or not untill PSA times...

Anyway, thanks for the clarification.. :lol:

Yes I reailise the work you both have to do... :wink:

Regards
Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Sorry Paul, only just caught up with this, got logged out earlier and 'lost the thread' as it were.

Yes, very heavy day. On a month's holiday :) - never got round to taking any this year, as usual, have to take them all now or lose them, so very busy indeed :P :twisted:
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

lexi wrote: The solenoid: It can be repaired? or just cleaned? if no luck then it is a whole new starter motor?

I suppose even though starter is a puny lil thing it will be ££££££..as soon as you mention V6 :roll:
I bought a replacement (pattern) solenoid from Wood Auto if you scroll down that page and click through the solenoid link, you will see that it is marked as currently out stock (and it has been for a few months).
It has a spade connector rather than a stud, but has worked faultlessly on my Mk1 for 2 years.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Many thanks guys .........I will digest all and take action.

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

A local auto-electrician might be able to recondition it for you.
There used to be a guy around here but he retired a few years ago now, was very good, quick turnaround and reasonably priced.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Just looking today. This relay that PO has put in? I`m assuming it is for a towing add on? How do we check that H/light washer relay aint in use and we can actually use it? Just to add that the green coloured relay is all wired up .

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

This bit here Jim.

took the live feed for it from the unused (in my case) Engine Bay fusebox F6 which feeds the headlamp washer timer relay

left the wires to pin 5 (supply from F6) and Pin 2 (earth) in place on the washer relay base

These are the same wires you speak of? It`s not a new wire that you have taken from the fusebox and put into live feed of our new black relay in addition to one already there on live feed of washer relay?.

What I ask is are we merely juggling these wires around cos we have a feed to new relay on the existing pin or do we lead a new one in from fusebox?

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The green relay base there, is normall for your logfights. I think the purple is for Hydractive.

I suspect the relay added, is for the headlights - looking at the gauge of wires it has.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Lexi,

Sorry for the delay in responding. I'm dealing with Forum technical issues this evening.

Yours, having the headlamp washers, cannot be done as I did mine as I have the "poverty spec" V6 without so could use the spare relay base occupied by the headlamp washer relay (the pink one).

Given the other added complications in your fusebox, there is no option but to add an additional relay base and wire up according to my diagrams.
Jim