buying a 02 C5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

I believe VTR replaced SX on the C5.

And I think the VTX/+ was the one aimed at corporate buyers.

Still both lower than an exclusive.
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

what do the come with. Climate control or cruise control (I would like that)
rmunns
My Cars: 2019 C5 Aircross 2litre diesel, auto.
2018 C4 Pic2 Spacetourer auto. Seems nice so far.
2019 C4 Cactus manual. Didn't like it, lots of niggling points. sold.
2011 C4 Picasso excl. - shaping up to be a disaster, bought June 2019. P/X'd
2009 Citroen C5 X7 exclusive, auto, LHD, 207500km (129000miles) now sold
Citroen Xsara Picasso excl. 2004 2.0 Hdi, RHD, 64000miles. (sold)
Citroen C3 Picasso excl. 2016. sold.
Two Xantias, one petrol, one diesel. sold.

In the past: Renault 16 (in about 1977, for a year). With front pass. seat out transported full bathroom suite from Cambridge to Derby!)
Renault 4TL (in 2011, for a year)

Post by rmunns »

In my opinion you could do a lot worse than a top model Xantia. While certainly ignorant about C5's, I do know Xantias and heartilly recommend.
And half the price of the car you were disappointed over.
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Reflecting on this it was more the manner of what happened which upset me.

It was clear my posting here did someone elses work for them.

I regard this forum and the most friendly and helpful forum I am involved with (some members amazingly so) and I have been involved with a few but I guess I was naive to think that everyone on here is this way inclined.

That said the garage owner obviously fancies himself as a wheeler dealer. As said on Saturday, he wasn't exactly pleasant and it was this and a lack of confidence (I know bugger all) which lead to a hesitation. He also told me to leave it and have a think over night as it would still be there in the morning and if I phoned he would keep it for me.

To go in early the next day to buy it and getting the girl to phone him to say we wanted the car ( he wasn't there) only to go back to find he soldit straight away to someone I'd clearly tipped off was most disappointing.

I can only assume the buyer was so keen to get it before I came back that he didn't pick up on any faults and the garage owner was happy with this.

I don't know but clearly is wasn't meant to be. That's all.

But what goes around, comes around and the garage which all my family get our fuel from, have just lost that. Bad attitudes are not conducive to retaining cutomers.

I aint naive, I know businesses are there to make money and he will sell to whoever but this was more than that. Hence why the upset.

As for my C5, it's more the constant engine management light and slight pause in the mornings that worries me given I am driving 110 miles a day to and from work. The fact that the garage can't see what it is despite reading the computer and getting the faults. I am not one for waiting until a fault strands me on the motorway.

I will however just have to live with it.
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

boristhespie wrote:what do the come with. Climate control or cruise control (I would like that)
My SX has dual zone climate control (usefull when you have a cold wife adn you are already too warm) and crusie control. Auto wipers (great) auto headlights (not so great).

I think the first gen LX has air con, the face lift gained single zone climate.
The VTR has dual zone climate.
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

mooseshaver wrote:Auto wipers (great) auto headlights (not so great).
I would put that the other way round. The auto wipers were so annoying to me that I eventually disabled them with the Lexia so that now they are simply intermittant. And much better for that!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I am having a lot of difficulty imagining that any member of the FCF would barge in and buy that car from under your nose Boris.

Not all who read the forums are members of course. The members in your area are very few anyway. Also, most are firmly committed Xantia men and women and have very little interest in C5s.

My '52 SX has dual zone auto climate control, auto wipers (that don't work in auto) and auto headlight that I like very much. No cruise control although I have seen a later series 1 SX '52 plate with cruise control - was an automatic so that may be the reason.

Looking at some of the adverts, there often doesn't appear to be any significant difference in VTR and VTR+ equipment specs although the seats may be better.
I think the Exclusive seems to have it all.

Maybe some of the toys are options.
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

myglaren wrote:I think the Exclusive seems to have it all.
I bought a C5 Exclusive for spares and the things it DOESN'T have that my Exclusive does are leather seats, auto dipping interior mirror and rear parking sensors.

So it seems that you can add options even to the Exclusive.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

bencowell

Post by bencowell »

In the Mark 1 C5 there are two Exclusives - An Exclusive and Exclusive SE. The SE has leather and sunroof as standard.

The Mark 1 VTR is originally replaced the SX in 2003 and included a kind of blue coloured seats, often had a mesh grille fitted as a no-cost option and was similar in spec to the SX but with manual air con. This was with a 1.8 petrol and 2.0 110 diesel. I don't remember seeing this but a 2.2 HDI and 2.0 petrol is included on Parkers.

The Mk1 VTR was later upgraded to dual zone climate control in late 03/early 04.

The Mk2 VTR is a middle of the range model with black interior. The VTX included metallic paint for free and the VTX+ added colour sat nav and cd changer. The VTX+ came only with 1.6 and 2.2 diesels.

Hope this makes some sense.
Currently driving a 2004 C5 VTR (old shape) and an Electric Kia Soul. Sorry but the electric one is my favourite!
Formerly Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6, 2 x Kia Optima, 2 x C5, Xsara and Saxo.
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Not all who read the forums are members of course. The members in your area are very few anyway. Also, most are firmly committed Xantia men and women and have very little interest in C5s.
You are right and when I talk about members I also mean someone just trawling for info. It's just that this guy was on the garage owners door waiting for him dead on 12pm (When apparently he comes in), the owner had never seen him before and he bought the car there and then.

I suspect that the garage owner told him we were coming into buy the car and had been their earlier to get it, so he's had better put his hands in his pockets then.

:lol: That's life.:lol:

There are a few VTR's I wondered what they were. Most are in England, not much doing up here at a decent price. Have on at 74,000 miles 04 for £3500 which is 750 more that the SX at 62,000 miles that I was up for. I may go for it but compared with down south it seems pricey. May have looksie saturday, it requires a long drive, what do you think price wise?[/quote]
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Hi Boris, I've been following your thread but without knowledge of those models, couldn't offer comment but I must admit I didn't like the signs of bodging you were relaying and IMO, such signs indicate there's more hidden problems/bodges that will unnecessarily cost more to put right. IMO, these were signs telling you to walk away. Even the greedy dealer knew you'd be trouble as you were clearly spotting the bodges and already asking for repairs before agreeing to buy.

Whoever stepped in did you a big favour and saved you from who-knows how much future grief.
boristhespie wrote:I don't know but clearly is wasn't meant to be. That's all.
You knew it all along but circumstances meant you didn't want to believe it? Either way, I bet the car you do buy you will exceed all your expectations - it's out there, waiting for you with your name it. You'll know it when you find it.
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Thanks getting over it. It's minefield garages.

Have to say finding Diesels to be substantially more expensive than petrols. Guess that's what people want.

Any thoughts on £3500 for a 04 vtr with 74k miles?

Also what the info on estates? Any particular things to think about?

Lastly

Check this baby out no buyers for 125 quid. It's only done

231,000 miles!!!!!!!!!

Make me feel reassured.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2002-CITROEN-C5-H ... 45ef5996a2
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

Estates? personally I think that they look better than the saloon .
They have a bit more space behind and the ability to manually jack the back up and down so that it easier to load (or hook the trailer on ) don't think that there is much difference.
However I think that an estate will be a tad more expensive than a saloon year for year.

Darlington to far for you ? E bay Item number: 370267965380 looks to be in your range

Cachaciero
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

bencowell wrote:In the Mark 1 C5 there are two Exclusives - An Exclusive and Exclusive SE. The SE has leather and sunroof as standard.
Mine's a Mk1 with leather seats but it doesn't have a sunroof.

But it IS an estate, could that be the reason?

boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Any rules for buying private?

Check car (obviously)

Check MOT Docs

Check Service Dos (what is there are gaps?)

DO a HPi check.

Anything else?