buying a 02 C5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Damn, sorry to hear that Boris .
Still, there will always be others.

Looking on Autotrader though, they seem to be predominantly LXs or rather pricey.
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

thanks i appreciate your always friendly help . sorry for the feeling sorry for myself just circumstances and the way it has happened. nex time i will pm you if that is ok? just having a really s**t time of it this year. getting fed up what with most of my earnings going towards getting me to a temporary job that my colleague is getting 8 grand more to do and car that is taking a hammering . boo hoo lol
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

It is a sickener and you are bound to feel let down.

PM by all means but you will get a better response from a post, the others here are far more knowledgeable than I, who don't even do my own maintenance any more, just do it for the kids, which makes no sense at all. All I have to offer is comparisons with my own C5
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Wow, post when feeling down not good idea. :lol:
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Don't worry about it. Happens to everyone and it is good to have a release.

Better luck with the next one.
Does it have to be a C5 - there are some cracking Xantias around, less expensive and arguably fewer problems too.
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

C5 is what I know I guess. Especially good for going to France, really comfy even if not so good on windy roads up here.

Looking for something with half mileage I have. Been having a look about and there some but just not up here. if I had family south then I would have them go into a dealer and check them out but I don't have any family near the places these are.

But yeah C5 I like it despite the problems I have had which have been minor compared to my laguna (piston heads smashed due to timing belt snap and turbo going, both 1500 quid)

getting a bit worried we will end up with no car.
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

I want a 110bhp but what are the 2.2s like are they more troublesome?
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Sorry you missed out on the car - life throws these things at you now and then. As a friend once said to me in the past "every cloud has a silver lining" - perhaps your next C5's just round the corner

Good luck - Martin
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

boristhespie wrote:I want a 110bhp but what are the 2.2s like are they more troublesome?
The most common fault is the injectors weld themselves to the cylinder head. Injector problems often need a new head to cure them.
They do seem to be a bit more delicate than the 2.0 110's
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

myglaren wrote:
boristhespie wrote:I want a 110bhp but what are the 2.2s like are they more troublesome?
The most common fault is the injectors weld themselves to the cylinder head. Injector problems often need a new head to cure them.
And there are the multitude of particle filter related issues.....
Currently driving a 2004 C5 VTR (old shape) and an Electric Kia Soul. Sorry but the electric one is my favourite!
Formerly Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6, 2 x Kia Optima, 2 x C5, Xsara and Saxo.
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

bencowell wrote:
myglaren wrote:
And there are the multitude of particle filter related issues.....
IMHO there are NOT a multitude of particulate filter problems just a host of misdiagnosed particulate problems. I dread to think how many FAP's have been changed because the standard engine ECU problem message is "Anti Pollution Fault".

2.2 Nice engine goes well fuel consumption is higher than I expected. 30 ish town and country 40 long haul motorway.

4 speed auto box has a strange change regime at times but I have never been able to better fuel consumption driving it "manually". The manual gearbox is one tax bracket lower.

FAP system will add about £1K to maintenance costs over 100K miles will likely require new filter and EOLYS at about 75K But apart from the cost of routine maintenance I would say the system is reliable, however believe that the FAP can be dispensed with, which should bring some improvement in economy.

Rear suspension bearings fail @ circa 80K.

Failure of vacuum connections to swirl valve and turbo seem to be quite common but easily fixed. Swirl actuator had failed on mine at circa 90K would suspect that this item was on it's way out on any car with more than 60K, easily fixed but can give intermittent engine LIMP mode failures.

Front suspension bushes.

If I had to choose between a 2001/2004 mk 1 2.2 SX trim and 2005 facelift 2.0L VTR I reckon it would be worth paying an extra 2K for the later car. Most of the weak points on the mk1 appear to have been addressed in the Mk2.
If you want the economy and 110BHP is enough for you then look at the Mk2 1.6 Hdi.

Alternatively look at a Peugot 407 SW this like the C5 3 has a lot in common with the C6, the only thing it doesn't have is hydraulic suspension but then neither does the C5 3 except at the highest spec level.

Cachaciero
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

nice car Peugot 407 SW but significantly more expensive.

Sorry for the wingey end to this thread everyone.

Just taken aback at my naivety.

I remember reading this on the BBC website this week.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/scie ... essed.html

Community is where it's at.

What does VTR mean?
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Hi Boris,

I wouldn't worry too much about the mileage. A good HDi that's serviced can take it - just look at the number of C5 taxis around. Mine's done 143K pulls very strongly doesn't use any oil or water and in 18 months has only needed 2 front tyres and a battery. It's never broken down and everything works. It passed it's MOT last weekend with no advisories and a fast pass on emissions.

I put it in the local paper this weekend and didn't have a single call. It's a fickle market.

Steve.
not applicable
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

VTR? havn't got a clue :-) don't know what SX or VSX means either :-)

But the VTR spec is a bit higher than SX and lower than exclusive, was as I understand it a trim level aimed at the company car market which I guess is why you will find that there seem to be more mk 2's in VTR trim than other levels. (often with telephone number mileage!)

cachaciero
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

VTS and VTR were used on the Saxo to indicate (I think) a general sporty attitude.

The VTS was the proper job with lowered suspension and body kit while the VTR was just the body kit.

Or is that too much of a simplification?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​