C5 particle filter additive ???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

john alexander wrote: AND IF IT NEEDS A FILTER £600.
Here are some cheaper ones:-
http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/diesel-part ... ke=CITROEN
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Steve wrote
"The filters are around £145"

my local pug dealers parts manager told me that is what they charge for afillter, but he thinks those are factory re/con units at that price as when they come in the metal parts of the body have surface rust on them

regards malcolm
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

citronut wrote:Steve wrote
"The filters are around £145"

my local pug dealers parts manager told me that is what they charge for afillter, but he thinks those are factory re/con units at that price as when they come in the metal parts of the body have surface rust on them

regards malcolm
Hmmm! not good news then. I did research this a couple of years ago when I thought that my C5 might need them. Fortunately not, it seems.
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

Save the environment! knock the filter out of the pipe or drill it out and then either fill the additive tank with diesel of better still get the car configured so that the FAP system is not present.This should give you some improvement in performance / consumption and the carbon remains trapped as soot rather than returning to the environment as gas.
Re-cond filters from Citroen will have been washed in a chemical bath but will only have a life of about 75% of a new one, it being impossible to get all the cerine out even with a chemical bath it is cerine rather than carbon blocking the filter, the carbon should have been burned out.

cachaciero
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

Latest update . Dealer no2 says that the low level warning also comes on when the filter needs changed . I thought that was a separate warning . still its all good news.
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

Post by Monkeyfeet »

re: knocking the filter out. I'd love to do that, fully agree with the above post. Has anybody successfully done this? ie no warning messages afterwards. I'm sure I remember it being tried but having probs with reprogramming the ecu's
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Monkeyfeet wrote:re: knocking the filter out. I'd love to do that, fully agree with the above post. Has anybody successfully done this? ie no warning messages afterwards. I'm sure I remember it being tried but having probs with reprogramming the ecu's
The flow sensors will indicate a fault as there will be insufficient resistance in the filter.
You would need to carefully drill out some of the ceramic honeycomb to simulate a clean filter.
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Don't suppose you know if the sensors are actually flow measuring - or are there two pressure sensors (upstream and downstream of the filter)?
Other possibility could be a differential pressure sensor across the filter?
Next thing of course is how to fool them......
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

AFAIK upstream and downstream sensors that will also detect a blocked cat.
The ECU has a map it checks for correct/incorrect flow characteristics.
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

This topic has gone around before, there is at least one person on this forum who claims to have done this with no problems, as regards the system being able to detect lack of filter there was some doubt expressed as to whether it would, I think it was wheeler who actually checked the pressure across a new filter and found the pressure diff to be very low. It is worth reading the following :-

http://www.eurovan2.com/forum/eurovan2- ... val-2.html

As far as I can ascertain the engine ECU is not concerned about the pressure drop across the filter the diff pressure is only monitored by the FAP ECU. On the 2.2 at least you can tell the system that a FAP is not fitted this will inhibit the automatic regeneration cycle.

cachaciero
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

cachaciero wrote:This topic has gone around before, there is at least one person on this forum who claims to have done this with no problems, as regards the system being able to detect lack of filter there was some doubt expressed as to whether it would, I think it was wheeler who actually checked the pressure across a new filter and found the pressure diff to be very low.
The sensor does indeed measure the difference in pressure as opposed to flow, I measured a fairly new filter & the pressure difference was 5mb at idle.
cachaciero wrote:As far as I can ascertain the engine ECU is not concerned about the pressure drop across the filter the diff pressure is only monitored by the FAP ECU. On the 2.2 at least you can tell the system that a FAP is not fitted this will inhibit the automatic regeneration cycle.
Regeneration etc is managed almost entirley by the injection ECU, the differential pressure sensor & cat temp sensor are wired directly to it. The FAP ecu only has a 16 pin connector & deals with injecting the additive & monitoring the additive level, the only direct inputs it really has is the fuel cap sensor & additive level sensor, all its other info comes via the multiplex network.
In theory unproraming the FAP system after removing the filter should not bring up any warnings, although the differential pressure sensor is still there & the injection ECU can still see data from it , it should not do anything about it as it only needs this info for the FAP system which it now wouldnt have.
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

Ah! well, that made me go away and read some more :-) during which I found out some other things I hadn't appreciated like the BSI being in the middle of the comms chain between injection ECU and FAP ecu, and as wheeler says the pressure differential is used for more than just warning of a clogged filter the injection ECU actually monitors the dif pressure to decide when to do a regeneration cycle. All makes sense, not much point in doing a regeneration cycle if the filter is not clogged.
The data I have says that the pressure drop across a clogged filter is > 900mB.
Further given that one of the main reasons for the catalytic converter appears to be to raise exhaust gas temp even higher for the purposes of regeneration if regeneration was no longer required because of FAP removal why not get rid of the catalytic converter at the same time?

cachaciero
rmunns
My Cars: 2019 C5 Aircross 2litre diesel, auto.
2018 C4 Pic2 Spacetourer auto. Seems nice so far.
2019 C4 Cactus manual. Didn't like it, lots of niggling points. sold.
2011 C4 Picasso excl. - shaping up to be a disaster, bought June 2019. P/X'd
2009 Citroen C5 X7 exclusive, auto, LHD, 207500km (129000miles) now sold
Citroen Xsara Picasso excl. 2004 2.0 Hdi, RHD, 64000miles. (sold)
Citroen C3 Picasso excl. 2016. sold.
Two Xantias, one petrol, one diesel. sold.

In the past: Renault 16 (in about 1977, for a year). With front pass. seat out transported full bathroom suite from Cambridge to Derby!)
Renault 4TL (in 2011, for a year)

Post by rmunns »

Found this, maybe it is of some use?

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/ ... 1&m=425975
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

Hi everyone , happy result . I phoned the dealer who previously serviced the car before I got it and they knew what they were talking about . The end result being total refill of eyloys !!! , reset system and forced regeneration for £150 , and they washed the car. Now thats out the way the power steering pump has started creaking and groaning , I,ve had a look in the top of the tank , should I be able to see fluid . The BOL is as clear as mud on this . Regards John.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Yes the fluid should be visible. If there is none or it is low then it is likely there is a leak somewhere, or perhaps the return pipe from the rear gaiter is blocked and it has all accumulated in the gaiter.

Running it low wouldn't be too good for the pump.

Did you open the reservoir? It is supposed to be pressurised!