More Xantia 2.1td advice required please

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Tim, that's absolutely fantastic :D :D :D Your post has really brought happiness this evening :D This is absolutely in the spirit of the forum and upheld in the finest manner :D

Mike and Nephew: Well done :D Excellent and you both should be in the New year's honours list for this. I know the two jobs you have done on a 2.1TD are not the easiest so fantastic. Take a pat on the back, both of you!

Tim, adding to a tool collection for work carried out is a tradition with Mike. Long ago (it seems) now I did a job on Mike's Xantia and he repaid me by buying me a really good balljoint splitter. It must have been a good one because it has seen much use and abuse over the years :lol: Mike also treated me to a magnet on a stick; another often used tool.

A forum contribution would be fantastic! How to contribute is all detailed here. It just pays for hosting. My time comes completely free!!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Nice to see that it all worked out well in the end. and a very nice thank you to Mike and nephew. It is really gratifying when it all comes together.

Regarding the forum financial support, have a look in this thread.
Ellevie is the forum treasurer and handles all the baffling stuff, there is an email link there for him if you want to join the contributors.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Once again I must praise the good people of this forum and it's founder without which we would never have had the confidence to attempt to rectify Tim's poorly Xantia - let alone succeed.

Thanks also to Tim and his family for keeping us nicely refreshed with much welcomed cups of tea during the extended period and the gifted tools will be very much appreciated!

It was most gratifying when she started up first spin of the starter (even though I forgot to wait for the glow plug light to extinguish) without the tell-tale tractoring and smoke of a misaligned cambelt. Particularly welcoming was the opportunity to work on a 2.1TD which presented it's own unique problems and challenges for me - the tensioner lower spring access and getting the lower engine mount to re-align. Despite the bouts of profanity's, we had fun learning :oops:

Thanks again to everyone that contributed.
mark21td
My Cars:

Post by mark21td »

Come on lads is there someone close to timbo that can sort this out for him, it's not that much work thats needed, 6hrs max.
Would do it myself but I'm to far away.

It's good to see that great things can be done with a little (well quite a lot by the sounds of it) help from forum members.

Well done MikeT and his helper :D
99 406 LX HDI 90 estate
99 C250TD sport estate
01 306 HDI 90 meridian estate
Brew my own biodiesel

http://www.shorewasteoil.xtreemhost.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

mark21td wrote:...it's not that much work thats needed, 6hrs max.
Out of curiosity, is this the official book time or an average time for the experienced DIY'er?
mark21td
My Cars:

Post by mark21td »

MikeT wrote:
mark21td wrote:...it's not that much work thats needed, 6hrs max.
Out of curiosity, is this the official book time or an average time for the experienced DIY'er?
It was my estemated time after doing the cambelt on a 406 2.1 alowing a good bit exstra (I've plenty of 1.9's but only the one 2.1), although I didn't take changing the aux belt tentioner into account.

It sounds like you ran into a few problems on the way.

Sorry if I got you into a biger job than you espected.

But I'm sure Timbo is now a happy man.
99 406 LX HDI 90 estate
99 C250TD sport estate
01 306 HDI 90 meridian estate
Brew my own biodiesel

http://www.shorewasteoil.xtreemhost.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

No, I assure you I'm not suggesting you put me under any pressure or more work than I was expecting :lol: I was just curious.

In fact, under the right conditions I wouldn't mind doing it all again just to compare.