High Xantia mileage?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

lexi wrote:
The oil has jumped about 6 or seven standards (maybe more recently) since I started driving. Didn`t seem that long ago that SG was top petrol oil and CD for diesel. I think it was the standards before that when you had cars that clapped out at average 60k. Lots of shorter journeys too.......not as many motorways and not as much leisure time meant a car could be rotted by 60 k anyways :shock:
I used 'CC' and 'CD' rated oil in my CX25 DTR Turbo Safari, about £4.00 a gallon in Trago Mills, it had done 262k when I sold it and was still going well, of that mileage I did over 150k. That was the first really refined, relativly clean burning diesel. I think the improvement in power to weight ratio also has a bearing as the engines run at much lower revs now. I remember the scrapyards being full of cars with 60 or 70k on the clock in the '60s and '70s

Peter
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

Peter.N. wrote:I'm watching Paul :D I have heard of this phenomena before and I am sure its right, the problem is not that the engines wear out, its the unreliability and cost of the bits fixed to them that often causes their demise. The 2.1s are good for at least 300k and many reach it but unfortunately quite a number of HDi,s dont because something to expensive goes wrong with them. I am afraid that the whole concept of a car just stopping because it has develeloped on electronic glitch and I can't repair it is just not acceptable to me.

Peter
Your right Peter, had I not managed to fix my Xantia of its HDI naughtiness it too would have been consigned to the scrap yard! Its only got 103,000 on the clock.
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone