getting to the fuel gauge sender unit

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deian

Post by deian »

So you're saying the crimped ones can be opened with a special tool and reused? I was under the impression they were one use only under the assumption that they were used on hoses/pipes that never really need to be opened ever.

The gauge might be work and maybe it was quite empty when i got it, i got from hyde nr manchester to queensferry with the light on, and then i put a tenner in at queensferry and that got me home, i put in £20 in it yesterday and it went up to quarter, and now it's back down and the light really likes coming on. It could be ok, but i would like to de-gunk the gauze and check the setup on the fuel gauge sender, at least that side is done then.

I think worm drives are jubilee clips or as some people also call them victoria clips(?), and yes I also agree the jubilee clips are not so good for sealing small pipes, they don't retain their round shape over the pipe and become oval (hence the bad seal). Must see this crimping tool.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I checked the link (earlier post) to the tool and that's the one alright - bit dearer than I paid for mine off fleabay BUT it's not showing it with a clic-clip - it's showing it in use with those other ear-type crush clips which are best suited to high pressure fuel lines (so I've been told).

I bought the pliers to deal with these as they seemed numerous in the xantia engine bay
Click to enlarge
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Ah well, Ok, the really tiny ones YES the worm is too big BUT these as a "Citroen use once" clip ARE closeable with pliers and side snips IE: On the LHM Tank...

A bit of swings and round a bouts really...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
deian

Post by deian »

hi guys, tried to get the lid off today, can't for the life of me get it open, just to be clear, it's the black ring that goes anti-clockwise??

tried using a big screwdriver against the plastics lips but the lips break off, i gave up as it will get dark soon, and i need to get it back on again so i can get to work in the morning...

how hard is it to it get it back on tight, that my main concern.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Dei doesn't need to be on Gorilla tight

try a mallet and a blunt chisel.. it will unscrew anticlock, just a lot of surface area to cause friction.. be carefully brutal :D

My WVO xant has got so bad, it runs out at just under a 1/4.,..once upon a time I had a 10L yellow light, never see that anymore :)

will be taking mine to bits in the next few days

J
thorter
My Cars:

Post by thorter »

The best way is to make up a simple tool. This one was made of 19mm ply (150mm wide), and unscrews and retightens the ring nut without damage. Make a cardboard template first, then cut out with a jigsaw.

Fred

deian

Post by deian »

genius idea... i like that! will try it
deian

Post by deian »

I tried it, using what i predict to be 9mm ply, i didn't work legs was going to snap, i will go look for a thicker slice, or a metal sheet.

My goodness it's tight!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Dei, try warming it first with a hair drier to soften it up a bit...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
G4EIY
My Cars:

Post by G4EIY »

I am assuming the BX sender is similar, if so then this is the tool I made, note the angle on the end, this will allow the tool to tilt upward.

Engage the tool in a slot in the ring and tap with a hammer, then remove the tool and place in another slot 180 degrees from the previous, and tap again.

Repeat till the ring begins to rotate anti clockwise. It may help to inject a thin oil into the threads and leave a while to soak.

This thread may help to resolve the problem when the sender is removed.

Good luck

http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... highlight=
Brian - 86 Visa 17D Sorn(192K)/ 86 BX 17RD (220K) Scrapped/ 92 BX 17TZD Turbo Diesel (191K)
96 306 XRDT (174K)
thorter
My Cars:

Post by thorter »

It is definitely tight, and 9mm ply is no good. It needs 19mm ply which is 8 times the stiffness of 9mm. I also doubt if chipboard or similar would be the slightest use, even if 19mm.

Fred