cost of matrix replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ozzie Kuma
My Cars:

Re: cost of matrix replacement

Post by Ozzie Kuma »

thanks for that citronut,.. just what I wanted to hear after the 123 hours, ripped fingers, stiff neck, broken back I have spent on this damn thing. My other beast is 3 years older than this & has not leaked a drop for the matrix !!! Hope I am lucky again. Still we Ozzies don't get the extremes of Pommie weather, probably helps it to last longer.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

98 Xantia V6 MK2
95 Xantia VSX
Harry1975

Post by Harry1975 »

im doing mine next week, plus im doing head gasket took the head off yesterday ,and yep the gasket totaly worn out, only the metal rings and outer edges left, i was surpised it had not gone sooner, engine ran fine, just a load of steam .
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Having looked at all this ,is there anything to add for the V6? Not putting my hand up yet mind :oops:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

You can drive with a lot of it removed:

I've even got the whole darned HVAC box out now, and that metal hoop that braces off the fuse bloc. Tempted to plug the radio back in for grins. Wipers are back on for usability.

Only "bugger, bugger, bugger" moments have been finding the Ford style AC inline connector (I don't have the tool and it was Sunday evening) plus losing a 10mm deepwall socket into the subframe's darkest recesses, along with a flanged nut, and two washers. All except one fibrous washer were found...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

You could start a new trend, driving around like that Adam :-D :-D :-D

Quite a respectable 'kilometerage' you've clocked up there...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

There is a nest of black ants in the car. They timeshare (depending on season/weather) between that box section the dash studs pass through (in picture) and under the roof rails.

Mr Pyrethrin will be speaking to them soon.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re:

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote:There is a nest of black ants in the car. They timeshare (depending on season/weather) between that box section the dash studs pass through (in picture) and under the roof rails.

Mr Pyrethrin will be speaking to them soon.
:rofl:

At least they're not green ants :twisted: We had green ants the size of of cats in Darwin..

Not as bad as the tree frogs that used to live in the downpipes on our house .They used the pipes as amplifiers... Gosh it was a noisy place at night...

When we came back to the UK we were deafened by the night-time silence and had trouble sleeping, especially Robyn... I'm pretty sure as she was born into the chorus of tree frogs, crickets and cicadas she missed it even more than we did...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Harry1975 wrote:im doing mine next week, plus im doing head gasket took the head off yesterday ,and yep the gasket totaly worn out, only the metal rings and outer edges left, i was surpised it had not gone sooner, engine ran fine, just a load of steam .
bit extreme removing the head just to get at the heater pipe connector, well maybe not :shock: :twisted: :lol: :wink: ,

regards malcolm
citronut
My Cars:

Re:

Post by citronut »

addo wrote:You can drive with a lot of it removed:

I've even got the whole darned HVAC box out now, and that metal hoop that braces off the fuse bloc. Tempted to plug the radio back in for grins. Wipers are back on for usability.

Only "bugger, bugger, bugger" moments have been finding the Ford style AC inline connector (I don't have the tool and it was Sunday evening) plus losing a 10mm deepwall socket into the subframe's darkest recesses, along with a flanged nut, and two washers. All except one fibrous washer were found...
id just by a better quality of matrix :shock: :twisted: :wink: rather than leaving all that off for the next time you have to fit another one #-o :wink:

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

citronut wrote:well maybe not :shock: :twisted: :lol: :wink: ,
Not at all Malcolm, the better access to the elbow afforded by removing the head will make it very easy to separate without damage :-D :-D

And driving around with no dash in does make the job easy next time... :lol:
Jim

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Through fixings reached from scuttle side. Wiper mechanism removed for clarity.

Yes, I have not yet cleaned that intake grille.
VertVega
My Cars:

Re:

Post by VertVega »

addo wrote:You can drive with a lot of it removed: ...
Above there is one of the best pic of a Xantia I've seen Image

Edit: ... and this pic below with navigator is even better :-D
Last edited by VertVega on 09 May 2012, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Soundproofing has lost some of its "skin" wrestling with the HVAC box.

ashy90

Post by ashy90 »

LOL. Reminds me of when my dad drove a Fiesta with no front carpet (cut it instead of removing seats etc. when it needed welding in the floor.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

There is no front carpet either.

I have examined the old matrix and yes - it definitely leaked from the junction of plastic header tanks and extension tubes. The O-rings were hard and cracked.

With the Nissens matrix, I removed this extension piece, cleaned the assembly oil from O-rings and fittings, then reasembled with ThreeBond 1211 plus the O-rings! The idea was to fill that void between the O-ring and plastic moulding's internal shoulder, adding a measure of extra protection.

In future, I would trim the extension's header plate and plastic weld the tubes to the header tank. It's only the complications of shape that make injection moulding the whole shebang in one piece, unworthwhile for manufacturers.