New tyres needed?? For citroen Xantia running Energys.......

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stevetheskaterboy
My Cars:

Post by stevetheskaterboy »

I think im lucky lol, my dads a long distance driver (60,000 - 100,000 a year, no joke) mum works for a big firm so drives a lot too, uncles a taxi driver, partner just loves driving!

helps with pointing me in the right direction, Irony is my dad has a huge love for one brand but its very cheap, and he has driven 20,000 on one set and they grip brilliantly, come to think of it they must have been on while i was driving......not mentioning the name though cos they are bargin bucket lol
2009 Citroen C1 VTR
stevetheskaterboy
My Cars:

To answer your question, Star performer was originally set up by continental as a budget brand, they sold it a few years ago when the market started to look a little shakey, now its run by its previous managers.

Closer info seems to be that they design and manufacture their own tyres now, their reviews seem to be favourable, when continential owned them their reviews were appaling!

They are financially backed by nankang but work inderpendantly
2009 Citroen C1 VTR
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Jim, continentals are among my favourite tyres, lots of grip but they do wear well to. They grip no matter what the weather is going.

Come on Steve spill, whats these tyres your dad likes? Might be worth trying if they are that good!

Wow, thats a huge ammount of miles your dad does each your. Is he a professional driver or just has to travel for his job?. I think i do about 18K - 20K a year, spread between the cars, sounds nothing now :lol:

Chris.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
stevetheskaterboy
My Cars:

He works as a consiege/personal protection (pardon the spelling lmao)

He swears by three types of tyre in order from the best down

1) Trayal
2) Dunlop sport
3) Sava

He said sometimes with bargin tyres they do suffer but sometimes all it takes is a adjustment of driving style to make them perform well.

I cant comment cos hes the mental mileage guy lmao
2009 Citroen C1 VTR
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Citroenmad wrote:Jim, continentals are among my favourite tyres, lots of grip but they do wear well to. They grip no matter what the weather is going.

Come on Steve spill, whats these tyres your dad likes? Might be worth trying if they are that good!

Wow, thats a huge ammount of miles your dad does each your. Is he a professional driver or just has to travel for his job?. I think i do about 18K - 20K a year, spread between the cars, sounds nothing now :lol:

Chris.
Had continentals on Cassy a year or so ago as I used to have them on my first Xantia along with Kumhos without problems, actually, tell a lie, the back did snap out twice unexpectedly on conti's.
Was very disappointed with them to be honest, extremely noisy when doing more than 10mph around roundabouts, and there are quite a few of them in milton keynes!
Thankfully they only lasted 3 months, and then I went to Michelin Energys and have never looked back.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

An interesting job! Sounds good.

Wow, i can see why you didnt say now :lol:

Ive used dunops but Ive not had any experience with the others, though i have heard of them.

Really though, it depends on a lot of things. Driving styles, where you drive, choice, experience and experiencing different tyres all come into it.

I mean the Taxis round here use remoulds, they seem to get the car from A to B so obviously suits them. Though i would rather remove my tyres and run on the rims than use remoulds!
Actually my neighbour did only have 3 tyres on her Citroen C4 at one point, i kid you not, i saw her driving it. As i walked past it when she parked the front ns tyre was not even there at all, the wheel arch liner was hanging out, the wheel arch itself was bent, black scrubbs around the arch and a missing mudflap, it was parked against the curb, leaning right over only sat on the wheel rim! I almost took a picture but thought it was a bit cheeky, infact i had thought about reporting her to the police. However the next morning off she went again! It returned a few days later with a new alloy and tyre ....

I bet the tyre fitter was in fits "erm, ive got a puncture, can you fix it?" "you dont even have a tyre to fix!" :lol:

See, so some people dont even care if they have tyres or not, all depends on your prefference i guess :roll:

Seems we all have different opinions of a good and bad tyre. WIll also be different on each model of car too. Ive not had a Xantia yet, so can not say what suits those.

Chris.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
stevetheskaterboy
My Cars:

There are some truly mad people out there!

Round here the taxi drivers all use premium tyres and nothing else.... god knows why, theres a few driving around on eagle F1's!
2009 Citroen C1 VTR
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

There certainly is!

Any more thoughts on what you might get? Tyre wise.

Chris.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
stevetheskaterboy
My Cars:

Think by reviews alone. Ill take Michelin Alpin winters and keep the Energys on until its time to replace by law lmao, good plan?
2009 Citroen C1 VTR
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Yep good plan i think.

Energys are not the worst tyre available, and its also true that a slight change in driving style will see them grip better, maybe! Your going to get understeer no matter what the tyre, just depends on conditions and speed :lol:

Anyway, they are decent, will last a while and are brand new, so best to keep them. Id have another set of those, just hate these newer ones, not one of Michelins better designs.

Michelin Alpins look better, Synchrones are too 4x4 like, i think we had those on out LR-FL acutllay.

You must do a fair bit of driving abroad in the winter to account for winter wheels? Those heated seats will certainly come in handy 8)

Chris.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
stevetheskaterboy
My Cars:

Ill do about 2000 miles while im away so better safe than sorry, btw can anybody confirm if the wheels on the S1 xantia are the same fitment as the s2?
2009 Citroen C1 VTR
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

yes, better to buy new tyres than a new car!

Yes they sure are the same fitment.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
stevetheskaterboy
My Cars:

Good good, cos the steels I brought today are from a S1 96 xantia, and according to online places, they are not the same stud offset, so i then started to panic lmao
2009 Citroen C1 VTR
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Im 100% sure they are the same, nothing like that was changed between S1 and 2. Just think of Activas, they use the exact same wheels for S1 and 2 cars.

They are 15" arnt they? some 96 cars had 14" wheels.

I hope you have some nice Citroen trims, as to not let your Xantia down in the looks department!
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
stevetheskaterboy
My Cars:

Yep they are 185/65/15 the same as my alloys I'm pleased to say, can't find any citroen caps as of yet so may strip the rims down and paint them silver, be different and won't hav to worry about corrosion lol
2009 Citroen C1 VTR