11k Xantia 1.9td auto on ebay

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Another downside to owning a car like this is that you can end up scared to use it for fear of racking up the mileage and any scuffs it might suffer in the process of being used.

I speak from first hand knowledge of how I feel about my Activa. I only take it out in the dry, only to places I know it'll be safe from parking dinks and worse and that my passengers will behave themselves in it. Not long back I picked up my daughters and their friends and ended up really shouting at them for daring to eat a cake in the car :oops: Boy, did I feel bad and guilty afterward but it goes to show how obsessive you can get about owning and using a rare and tidy car.

My V6 is the perfect car for me. Battle-scarred and dog-eared so if it picks up a few more scars during it's travels, I don't really worry. It just adds to it's patina.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I see your points Andrew and Jim, though for most an LX spec would suffice. It comes with air con, remote locking and electric front windows plus more. I never sit in the back so never use the rear windows, if it has air con there is no need anyway and Exclusives seem impossibly hard to find.

Im looking for a HDi exclusive, though im not very patient! They are not things which come up very often though. Ive found one, looks to be ok but its 230 miles away. This might be a long weekend!

Depends how its been stored largely and how much use its actually had. I mean if its been used weekly to go and fetch a pension, for example, it will be far worse than if its just sat in a garage for most of its time. Had it been used weekly and never got to running temperature it would not be the best example, a higher mileage one will almost certainly be less trouble. Though there is no way of knowing how its been used.

Yes if used it will just be another Xantia, though is a Xantia 1.9TD auto really something to hide away for future years? I doubt it, so it needs using. Though it will appeal to someone who wants an immaculate Xantia and who is going to use it.

I often wonder if these small mileage cars will be around long enough to see a decent mileage, 100K plus for example, probably not. A car should be used in my opinion.

One worrying thing is the seller has only one previous feedback, ive asked a few questions about the car: has it been serviced yearly - possibly not im thinking, has the cambelt been done etc. Though there has been no reply.

Chris.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Citroenmad wrote: Though it will appeal to someone who wants an immaculate Xantia and who is going to use it.
And in that case, being an LX is irrelevant. If someone buys it to hide it away as a future classic, which it could well end up being, then the trim level really does not matter. When it's 20 or 30 years old and still immaculate it will not matter in the slightest it is "only" an LX; a quick look through the classic magazines will amply demonstrate.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...