Removing xantia exhaust front pipe flange nuts

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

top is slightly recessed
well remebered Gareth, yep they are all like that, not sure why as it doesn't help grip that bolt head at all.

small pair of moles
conjured up a fun image that :D
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

@Xantiaman583: Hello, glad to meet you, thanks for the account. Rounded nuts... that's be a nightmare dream I had the night before I dismantled it. You were lucky in the end! Pity about the roll bar getting in the way. I was relieved with the access given on the xantia, once I got to know it (yesterday).

@Citronut and @ CitrJim: All springs, bolts, cups and nuts cleaned up. I'll put it back on today, and try the 'spanner over bolthead, reaching from underneath' method to hold the bolt , just for fun like. :lol: ..and to make sure I can do it without a helper , should I break down on a solo run whilst passing through the 'Back of Beyond'.

I have the recessed bolts on the top part of the flange,of course. All I could think of was that they liked the look of it that way..looks stronger, more refined.:wink: It is what finally stopped me getting a spanner on the driverside bolt, when approaching from above.

:?: When I dismantled the exhaust, I was surprised to find no sealing ring: I'll look again. I guess, do not use any exhaust assembly paste at this joint, just the seal?
Last edited by John Plum on 16 Oct 2009, 07:22, edited 1 time in total.
John Plum
Xantia II Estate,1999, 2.0 HDI LX, 17000 miles, manual
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi John,

Don't use any assembly paste anywhere and don't do the clamps up too tightly; just enough so that the joints don't leak. Re-tighten them with the exhaust very hot as they expand and loose their grip otherwise.

The "Brillo pad" on the manifold must be there and in good nick. Over the years they compress, get very smooth and end up looking like part of the manifold so it is easy to think it's gone AWOL. They can be hard to get off too. A small sharp cold chisel usually does the trick.

If it is there and undamaged (but smooth) it should be OK for another session.

Use jacks and blocks of wood to align the system and hold it in the right position whilst you tension the clamps. It can be done solo but much easier with a helper...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the easyest way to check if the brilo pad sealing ring is still in place if you cant see it, is run your finger tips around the malifold flandge,

if it is there you will get bits of rusty carbon coated wire stuck in your finger tips, then you will know its there

regards malcolm
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

Found the seal. It's fairly shiny, i can tell it used to be guaze. Well-compressed. I'll use it. Pipe's on now.
Thanks for the kind help.
I realise what you mean when you say you can reach them from underneath, now. I was working too far back, from where access to the nuts with a socket is possible: By peering up towards the rear, and reaching, from just beyond the sump you get good access to the tops of the bolts. My initial checks were hampered by working outside...takes a little longer to get familiar.
John Plum
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Good work John :D

As much as I hate this work, I'd still rather do it myself than put any faith in the exhaust fitting places :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

John wrote
".takes a little longer to get familiar."

especialy in this cold weather,

isn't there laws againt that, its just a good job your not working at the tail pipe area, or i would be getting a bit worried about you John,

TEA HE

regards malcolm
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The top bolt head is quite weasily "stopped" by a deep offset ring spanner. Once you've seated it, one only needs to apply finger pressure to hold it on; the spanner will wedge against another exhaust part quite happily.

Not sure from what Xantiaman says, whether this approach would work on a turbo motor.
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

HI Addo from Down Under: I didn't try a deep set ring working from underneath, only from under the bonnet- where i couldn't get with it to the bolt - turbo model. I reckon you might well from underneath.

I saw the aussiefrogs forum, some decent work going on down under. :)

I was lucky with the weather, not too much rain, some bright sunshine to keep me happy, and it' s not nearly as cold as it'll be in a two weeks. The exhaust purrs nicely.
John Plum