Bang , Clonk... Big problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Neilsouth

Bang , Clonk... Big problem

Post by Neilsouth »

For awhile now when driving down the motorway if i accelerate at a high speed it would pull to the right very quickly. However last week i came out from park and it was making a clonk sound , which got alot worse to the point it was clonking loudly when i turned the wheel to the left.

I had to be towed home

I changed the driveshaft as the rac mechanic mentioned it was possibly related to that , pulled out the drive turned to the left and Clonk. Dad said he could see the left wheel jump when it made this noise. Went to a professional mechanic who said that is your wishbone!. Took the wheel off and noticed that the disc was slightly twisted at the hub , we had checked the wishbone and found the joint's were very badly worn.. It was so bad this problem pointed to that.

Replaced the wishbone , went out for a drive and again clonk/bang and still the wheel jumps when it happens. It also pulls to one side on acceleration very quickly.

Could it possibly be something related to the diff in the gearbox?

HELP , i sell my mr2 due to problems and get a car that's having a far worse problem
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Yes, if the driveshafts are both OK then you may have a damaged set of spider (or, side) gears. If the car is a BX or Xantia and a manual, you can use the later BE3 internal gears and diff housing - just swap over your ring gear.

That said, two other points - delay may well result in a perforated gearbox casing, and repair (if found to be the spider gears) is best effected by complete removal and stripdown of the 'box - small metallic bits will be spread through it.
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

What car is this ?
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Re: Bang , Clonk... Big problem

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Neilsouth wrote:
HELP , i sell my mr2 due to problems and get a car that's having a far worse problem
So we know you had an MR2, but what model of Citroen do you have?
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Almost sounds like a nearside caliper or even a top engine mount failure.
I'd say it'd be very rare to find a duff diff but that's just my personal
experience and maybe I've been very fortunate.

Andrew

Neilsouth

Post by Neilsouth »

Sorry guys , i forgot to mention Citroen Xsara 1.4

I posted in a rush

Thankyou for all the help

- I've been underneath and there is excessive movement in the center engine mount the one that the right hand driveshaft goes through. Wondering if the movement is affecting the position of the right hand driveshaft. As the inboard part of the right hand driveshaft is a fixed part , has no flexable joints on it.
mark21td
My Cars:

Post by mark21td »

If the Citroen Xsara 1.4 uses the same gearbox as the peugoet 205/306/106/ cit AX (all 1.4 or under) then they have a very week diff.

Jack up the frunt of the car and feal for play by rotating one driveshaft while holding the other one still, if you have more than a small amount of play then the diff may be at fault.
99 406 LX HDI 90 estate
99 C250TD sport estate
01 306 HDI 90 meridian estate
Brew my own biodiesel

http://www.shorewasteoil.xtreemhost.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Neilsouth wrote
"there is excessive movement in the center engine mount"

were is the movment if it's just the large bush this should not affect the driveshaft, but if the bush houseing is moveing about then maybe that is the fault,

what is the lower swivel joint like, it would have to be very bad to cause this though,

"Took the wheel off and noticed that the disc was slightly twisted at the hub"

what do you mean disc was slightly twisted at the hub,

regards malcolm
Neilsouth

Post by Neilsouth »

citronut wrote: what do you mean disc was slightly twisted at the hub,
The holes in the disc didn't line up with the holes in the hub so it appeared as if it was twisted / out of alignment
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Thats normal , the disc is loose relative to the hub. It is clamped between the hub and the wheel when the wheel is reattached.
On the right hand drive shaft there is a centre bearing attached to the back of the engine , it sounds like that could be loose.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Neilsouth wrote
"The holes in the disc didn't line up with the holes in the hub"

aaaah now thats becaues the locatting screws are missing/sheard off,

the only problem you will have there is when trying to change you wheel in the dark

regards malcolm
Neilsouth

Post by Neilsouth »

Going to take the right hand driveshaft out on sunday due to weather as left side seems to be fine , we also tested the diff which was ok..

Any diagrams of how to take the right hand driveshaft out? ( drivers side ) , how do you take it out.

Thankyou
Neilsouth

Post by Neilsouth »

Looking as if ours is the right hand driveshaft , but can't add anymore to that at this time. Still working on it , will keep you upto date!

Just need those diagrams or advice on how to get the damn thing out from gearbox ( drivers side driveshaft )
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

undo the hub nut, disconect the track rod end, hand brake cable and lower swivle joint,

pull the suspension leg outwards to allow the drive shaft to be pulled clear of the hub,

place a tray under the diff big enough to collect about 1lt of gear oil,

now undo and remove the two 11mm nuts from the hockey stick bolts, which hold the O/S driveshaft intermediate bearing into its houseing,

now drift the shaft out through the int/bearing houseing, by driftting against the colar ( this is not the actual bearing but a colar which is against it ) on the driveshaft which you can see at the diff side of the int/bearing houseing

regards malcolm
Neilsouth

Post by Neilsouth »

Thanks for the advice , got the driveshaft out... We've swapped the cv joints over as that's all we can try on that side. After we put it back together , have you any idea how to top the gearbox oil up? as we cant find the filler point .

Many thanks for the earlier advice