Windscreen / headlamp washer bottle & pumps ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MJM
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by MJM »

I had the bumper off my S2 Exclusive a while ago (looking to get the same problem sorted). It isn't too bad a job assuming the bolts arn't rusted in :D
There's the three 10mm ones underneath, a 10mm one each end going sideways into the bumper. Up near the nearside foglight there's a big(17mm?) bolthead. There is a large plastic spigot in the same relative place on the offside (you can't see it).
With all those bolts off the bumper just pulls off the spigot: it needs a bit of a tug, though :D
There is a multipin connector behind the nearside wing guard
It needs some rags/blankets or whatever on the ground if you are working alone because the bumper comes loose with a bit of a rush. :shock:
I think I knocked a float off the low washer sensor or something because the low level light comes on whenever I use the washers! :D
MJM
1999 Dante red Xantia Exclusive 2,0 petrol. No smelly diesel for me. Now re-homed
2007 Wicked Red C5 Exclusive. Now a smelly diesel automatic for me.
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

OK I'm prepared to stand corrected with regards to the headlight washer mtr. I couldn't see one, and perhaps it was just coincidence that they now work ok.. I am right about not needing to remove anything to do the windscreen washer mtr. tho'.
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Hi All

Typically Citroen headlight washers need to be checked with the headlights on. They are usually isolated with lights off.

John
Xmexclusive
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Yup , tried that !! No joy !
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Just sorted this problem , it was the headlamp washer pump relay. When I bridged the contacts on the relay socket that feed power to the pump , the pump and washers worked. Before binning the relay I had a close look at the soldered joints under a magnifying glass and discovered 4 of the 5 joints on the legs that connect the circuit board to the socket in the car. Re-soldered them and it all works as normal :)
Another thing that made me smile was the spray jets raise up so that the spray is directed at the headlights more closely when the washer is operated , then drop back so they don't intrude into the headlamp beam :) Very Teutonic !!
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !