ZX galvanised?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Krede wrote:ALL!! 90's cars rust. I've owned a ZX, as have a couple of my friends and family....IMHO a ZX is by no means worse than say a Golf3,polo, Mazda, Toyota etc... and its WAY! better that ANY Vauxhall or Ford of similar vintage.
That being said , I have been amazed how far gone an otherwise "solid" looking zx can be once you get it up and have a peek underneath!... the trick as always is to have it rust treated before it goes on the road.

Hmmmm... I DO struggle to find a bad Xantia!!

The F and V words are just not worth mentioning either.. I KNOW a ZX is streets ahead of them !

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

BX's didnt used to rust compaired to other cars of the eara, even the metal bonnet one's, but they are starting to now they are getting a bit elderly

regards malcolm
deian

Post by deian »

Sometimes people clean their car too much, personally I would never 'over'clean a car, or use a pressure washer in the arches or around the sills at close range (some people do this to dislodge dirt where they can't reach), this may be the cause of all the rusting, forcing water into nooks and cranies where seals are weaker than in visible areas, i'm also pretty sure pressure washers became mainstream in the 90's. Obviously cars nowadays are built to better standards using better materials.

But late 80's/early 90's cars did rust, but will late 90's early 00 cars rust when we are in the late 00's and early 10's? Time will tell.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Show me an Early 90's Xantia thats rusted?? I Will be surprised...

My 1994 L reg Xantia - with 216k on her is still very solid! As I said, Im yet to see a Rusty Xantia!

So NO NOT all 90's cars rust!

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

The ZX is the best car I've owned in terms of rust. Considering it's 16 years old with 216,000 miles on the clock I can't really complain. When I was commuting 60 miles a day to work it never rusted but now I'm only doing 3000 miles a year the rust is starting to be a problem.

I hate washing the car so I can safely say that the car has never been over washed or pressure washed. I just wished I'd washed and waxed it a bit more often as the clearcoat is now turning white and coming off. At least there's no rust associated with that yet. The car is kept outside at all times with no shelter from the sun either.

I remember having a number of cars in the 80's, both British and European. They were all petrol and they were all knackered by about 90,000 miles/10 years. Problems such as smokey engines, poor MPG, flat spots, stalling etc seemed to be the norm, along with rust in abundance. The ZX changed all that for me. It's a shame that the 1.9D engine has been discontinued. I'm going to keep my ZX until it falls apart and then I'm going to look for something similar for my next car.

Paul
Krede
My Cars:

Post by Krede »

Show me an Early 90's Xantia thats rusted?? I Will be surprised...
Come to Denmark then! .. I'll show you a few. I can see two from my window (not counting my own.. which is fine! :) )

Xantias sold well her, so now there are Lots of them around at very low prices... which means that many are simply made to serve wit little or no maintenance spend on them, with obvious results.

But I will agree that "dodgy" trim and faded paint (especially in the rear hatch) are MUCH bigger issues that rust... at least for now.. but the first ones are getting very old now... as are the ZX'es
Xantia 2.0 Hdi , Talbot Matra Murena 2.2(fuel injected ;) )
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

well as Paul says i have never had to weld up a XANTIA yet for MOT or any other reason,

but i have welded severl ZX's that have gone in a bad way, mostly inner wings and front outrigers at the mow,

and BX's i have as yet only had to weld small patches mainly at the very rear end of the outter sill, (the singal skin section) and sometimes just inside the rear door shuts at the inside front of the rear arch,

regards malcolm