How can I worsen my fuel consumption?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

peter,
no need for that mate i'm still a newbie here and I have listened and been back and double checked I have also asked a few more questions for which I am still awaiting answers about fuel pump lubrication.
fair enough there have been bad stories about pump failures all over the place My fathers pump has just presented with a leak in the last few days just running Straight new Veg oil, so it happens to anyone for what ever reason, i'm glad i had this conversation with you all tonight because doubt makes you hunger for even more knowledge in an effort to make things right.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Nigel

There is a lot of expert knowledge on the subject here but I have never followed the course of vegetable oil myself because I didn't want the hassle of any additional problems, especially on the 2.1 pumps which are like hens teeth compared with the 1.9s. I'm getting on in years now and am not so enthusiastic about taking things to peices as I used to be, I still do whatever repairs are necessary but much more slowly :? :D I,m sure if I had been a few years younger I would have gone down the same route as you.

Peter
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Peter,

ive just got hold of the BMW and Merc manual recommended ratios for adding petrol to ordinary #2 Diesel during all weathers.

100F (38C) or above add 10% rug/petrol or 20% kerosene
75F (25C) add 15% rug/petrol or 25% kerosene.
50F (10C) add 20% rug/petrol or 30% kerosene.
32F (0C) add 25% rug/petrol or 35% kerosene.
25F (-4C) add 30% rug/petrol or 40% kerosene.
0F (-17C) add 35% rug/petrol or 45% Kerosene.
-25F (-31C) add 405 rug/petrol or 50% Kerosene.

I am told that this is the information given in the service manuals for both BMW and mercs, so i would hate to be the one to tell them their bussiness and that their pumps might fail because they are not being lubricated properly and might be damaged, personally i think they would tell me to get knotted dont you?
and i'm only using 10% ratio at the moment and its nowhere near 38 degrees C outside.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
rmunns
My Cars: 2019 C5 Aircross 2litre diesel, auto.
2018 C4 Pic2 Spacetourer auto. Seems nice so far.
2019 C4 Cactus manual. Didn't like it, lots of niggling points. sold.
2011 C4 Picasso excl. - shaping up to be a disaster, bought June 2019. P/X'd
2009 Citroen C5 X7 exclusive, auto, LHD, 207500km (129000miles) now sold
Citroen Xsara Picasso excl. 2004 2.0 Hdi, RHD, 64000miles. (sold)
Citroen C3 Picasso excl. 2016. sold.
Two Xantias, one petrol, one diesel. sold.

In the past: Renault 16 (in about 1977, for a year). With front pass. seat out transported full bathroom suite from Cambridge to Derby!)
Renault 4TL (in 2011, for a year)

Post by rmunns »

Seems, as usual, the original intention of the post has got somewhat diluted.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

What was that then? :D

Nigel

Do those dilution figures apply to common rail engines? due to the much higher pressures involved and the fact that diesel is less 'oily' than it used to be, modern engines are much more critical to fuel specifications. The old engines would run on almost anything that burnt, including quite a lot of water on the old Perkins engines :shock: The modern injection systems seem to fail at the drop of a hat even with the correct fuel - that's why I only run '90s cars. :D

Peter
falling-out-with-my-car

firstly appolagies to rmunns of France,

secondly Peter, my motor is an Xantia 1.9 td 1998 only difference between mine and earlier models is the exhaust re-burn system.
fortunately it is not an HDi.

what I cant get over is the ignition is far better from a cold start much less cranking is required.

if I could get road kerosene I would use that instead, but as it stands kerosene is illegal for road use in the UK.
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:firstly appolagies to rmunns of France,

secondly Peter, my motor is an Xantia 1.9 td 1998 only difference between mine and earlier models is the exhaust re-burn system.
fortunately it is not an HDi.

what I cant get over is the ignition is far better from a cold start much less cranking is required.

if I could get road kerosene I would use that instead, but as it stands kerosene is illegal for road use in the UK.
There are a number of differences between yours and earlier models, the pump is semi electronic aswell with some functions controlled by ECU.

It will start better, because the oil is thinner and is more easily atomised. But, and its a big but, you wont get problems over 10c and if you do, then you have something else amiss.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;