what ISP's

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Sid_the_Squid wrote:some digging on PHORM situation, heres an extract from the FAQ on phorm web site.
I think they are painting a rather rosier picture of their prospects than reality.

BT have pulled the plug, Talk Talk followed. Virgin are the only ISP still linked with it and even that is uncertain. But then Virgin can afford to stay with it since most of their customers are on cable and thus effectively trapped.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phorm
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

When we first moved to our current address we tried to get Virgin cable but it wasn't available here, even though the entire street up to one clump of houses away from us did have it available...(according to their online checker)

So we ended up going with Sky with a bundle of Sky+ subscription, phone line rental, and ADSL2+ on their "unlimited" plan. I believe this unlimited plan is only available on "unbundled" exchanges.

On this plan they claim no cap at all and no rate throttling for different types of traffic, nor at different times of the day or based how much you've downloaded in a given day, and in the couple of months we've been using them I haven't seen any time where I thought they were deliberately throttling any type of traffic.

(A lot of providers including the plans we looked at on Virgin cable had "hidden" throttling in the fine print for example if you download more than X MB in one day you will be throttled to a much slower speed for 24 hours)

Speed is great, it's about 16Mbit measured down, 900Kbit up national most of the day and never below about 11Mbit down even in peak hours.

International is typically 5-10Mbit down depending on country and site etc...

For £10 in a bundle or £15 on it's own I can't complain, and it sure beats the slower and capped internet I'm used to in New Zealand!

Currency converted to pounds I was paying £28/month - (plus a mandatory line rental of £20 even though I didn't really need a landline for calls) to get 4Mbit downstream with a 11GB/month cap....and that was considered good. Until very recently 25GB was the largest monthly cap you could get from any residential provider at any price...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

you wannaHAVEapoo??

Ahh sorry wannadoo....

Well AFAIK CPW and PCworld are not in bed together, its dixons, currys and PCworld that are the same underlying company.

For £20 a month orange is the last company i'd be with.
No offence but i pay a UK company and expect UK based services to be provided.

£17.56 a month is what i pay for a 12gig/unlimited service. Does exactly that. I know that sky have throttling services on their platforms so i would imagine like others its only coming into affect on the userbase that push's past a certain limit that is never published IME...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

You could be right about PC World no being associated with Carphone Warehouse Dave, I read it a couple of months back and took it as gospel, never checked.
Carphone Warehouse. Nothing here about it, nor on their own web pages.
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

Carphone warehouse have no links whatsoever to PC World. The only phone shop that DSGi have owned is The Link. This comes from working there for the past year and a half.

In terms of what ISP to go for, I have used Demon in the past who were pretty good. Had a few dropouts in the last couple of months but nothing previous to that, we were on a 60Gb per month tariff that was in the region of £20/month.

I also used DataComms Europe a few years back, they didn't lock you into a contract at the time, don't remember any problems with them, but thsi was about 4 years ago.

Currently I'm on IDnet, who seem pretty good, had a problem on a Sunday a few weeks ago, phoned them at about 6pm it was sorted by 6.30pm. Not quite so keen on the download limits they impose however, currently have a 5Gb per month limit.
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2001 Toyota MR2 1.8 VVTi - To be sold for spares/repair - dead gearbox :(
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

I would advise against Demon, I was with them for 2 years, before my connection inexplicably dropped to 300k (thats kilo bits) after lots of complaining to them via their very unhelpful Indian call centers, they kept calming no fault could be found, it must be my end, eventually they summoned a BT engineer to appear whilst I was at work, without notifying me at all :evil: That was the last straw, I left for O2 where my connection went up to 3600k without any changes at my end, never been happier with an ISP than O2.
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

It's reassuring to know I'm not alone in finding O2 to be a great ISP.
When I was looking for an alternative to Sky, I found a review site that pretty much had nothing but good comments when it came to O2, so much so that some were suggesting that O2 were paying employees to write them. Thankfully the comments were genuine and lived up to by O2 :)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Well I'll be!
I've been having a few connection issues recently that resolved themselves by rebooting the router.
It's a linksys WAG200G
I had a look in the logs, and there were none.
So off to linksys I trotted and found a newer firmware file which I've duly upgraded to.
Now my upstream is 1151 and my downstream is 12096!
My syslog server is recieving data too :)

DIY sphere tool
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Xac wrote:Now my upstream is 1151 and my downstream is 12096!
How far from your exchange are you?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

12mega bits... dam, I'm lucky if I can scrape 3!
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Paul-R wrote:
Xac wrote:Now my upstream is 1151 and my downstream is 12096!
How far from your exchange are you?
Can't remember exactly but it works out at 14Mbps being the theoretical fastest I should have.

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

You'll be on the Wolverton Exchange Xac, up along Creed Street adjacent to Glyn Square, so you're about a wire-mile away I reckon...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I was with Zen for several years and 4 house moves. Expensive but reliable and real service from their helpdesk in resolving BT ADSL issues.

For the past year I have had 20MB VM cable, and it (surprisingly) has been 100% reliable, other than the C****y modem and router they supplied needing rebooting every month or so.

I have my own domain with email forwarding set up somewhere in cyberspace, so I can move ISPs, and even countries without needing to change email addresses.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Sid_the_Squid wrote:12mega bits... dam, I'm lucky if I can scrape 3!
Three mega bits, I can't even get one! :(
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

My folks in law have just gone live with their first ever internet connection!!!

They should have gone live last week but when i checked on saturday they were getting no synch..

Logged fault with Newnet as knew that something was up at the exchange end not the CPE end.

Shock horror went over tonight to double check everything and the modem had synched up..... Something had been changed. Dont think it will belong before a BT CSE will be booked out though as they have a ring bell wired into their circuit which isn't filtered as its connected straight onto another drop cable... some funky wiring i aint seen for a long time is going on and with them being out in the sticks their exchange is literally like a big shed!!

Though they are getting 8.1meg down and just over 1meg up!! pretty good i think.

I set them up using an old Voyager 210 modem, then jumped that into a Cisco N class wifi router. Nice, secure and with a dam good range on it as well so they might even be able to sit at the side of their lake with their laptop as they become more confident with the tinterweb thing and progress with it all :)