Xantia S1 headlamp identification

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The early lights didnt have the philips slot, they were hex key only. Another change that happened was that the covers on the back of the light were changed in design which meant the whole headlight housing changed in design. Originally, the covers had an integral plastic clip but the later lights (e.g. on my '97) had a separate clip made from bent steel wire.

The headlight adjusters are prone to getting a little dirty and difficult to move, oiling them will made the world of difference and mean you can get your lights to point where you want with much less hassle.
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Thanks Kowalski, amazing how all this information's coming to light! Yes, mine have the wired type rear covers. Are there any cars out there with the old type headlight I wonder? Did the later lens fit the early housing?

I'll try WD40 on the adjusters. Wouldn't even a light oil, mixing with dust & dirt, tend to gum things up?

Cheers - Martin :)
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Xantidote wrote:Thanks Kowalski, amazing how all this information's coming to light! Yes, mine have the wired type rear covers. Are there any cars out there with the old type headlight I wonder? Did the later lens fit the early housing?

I'll try WD40 on the adjusters. Wouldn't even a light oil, mixing with dust & dirt, tend to gum things up?

Cheers - Martin :)
The various pre-facelift headlight lenses seem to be interchangable, it was the first Xantias that got the early headlight lenses, my '94 was a late '94 so it had the later lenses.

My headlight adjusters were pretty stiff and full of muck so they needed some excercise to get them adjusting smoothly, I used silicone oil to lube them because it doesn't seem to attract dirt the same way mineral oils do. If your adjusters are already mucky and stiff, a bath in WD40 will get them mobile enough to adjust, you'll be better off in short term but no worse off in the long term.