Exhaust fumes entering cabin while stationary

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Most likely the injectors leaking - with the engine cover removed and the engine running you will likely be able to see and hear exhaust gases escaping from where the injectors fit to the head. The copper washers burn away in time, new ones cost very little.
andydykes
My Cars:

Post by andydykes »

Well, just been under the C5 bonnet with a torch. Oil in all the bolt slots for the rocker cover by the bulkhead. I cleaned up and tightened the bolts a little but still smoke coming out in the torch light so I assume the gasket in knackered!

The amount of fumes / oil whatever on the inside of the bonnet turned my hair back to black. Looked much better for a few mins :)
Current Car C5 1.8LX
Pre Loved Citroen's
Picasso Diesel, Xantia Diesel, Xsara Petrol, BX1.9 GTI Petrol, BX Diesel, GSA, GS
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if there was that much oil everywhere it will carry on smoking for some time, till all the oil has burnned off/away

regards malcolm
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

I've been meaning to post this query for some time and it kinda fits in here I guess.

Ever since I have had the car (18 months now) I get fumes in the car if the window or sunroof are open. Doesn't matter which window. Its only in certain conditions i.e. running at 30mph-ish or less. Its really bloody annoying. If I have the sunroof and a window open it is less noticeable, but still there.

Is this common for a Mk1 Xant or is there a particular problem with mine?
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
andydykes
My Cars:

Post by andydykes »

Been under the bonnet and fitted a new gasket £6.20 not bad. The old one looked a bit knackered in places. Also noticed a breather pipe under the plastic cover and not 100% sure if this was connected - it is now. Been for a quick drive and didn't notice the smell. Fingers crossed for the drive to work tomorrow
Current Car C5 1.8LX
Pre Loved Citroen's
Picasso Diesel, Xantia Diesel, Xsara Petrol, BX1.9 GTI Petrol, BX Diesel, GSA, GS