Xsara Picasso 1.6 Petrol Y reg ABS Fault

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bagseye

Xsara Picasso 1.6 Petrol Y reg ABS Fault

Post by bagseye »

As the title says my girlfriends car is showing ABS Fault Non Functioning or something similar. On doing a quick search on the net it seems to be a faulty wheel sensor, or the first thing to check.

Does anyone have a picture of the location of this sensor? I have located the part on the net but not sure where to start looking for it.

Any help with this would be great

Morgan
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Morgan and welcome to the forum :D

Although I have no direct experience of the Picasso, you'll find the sensors easily enough. There's one for each wheel and the fronts are easiest to spot. Look at the outer CV joint and you'll see it has a toothed ring around it. This is the ABS pulse wheel. In close proximity to it you'll see a black object with a lead running from it and this will be the sensor itself. The rears are often hidden behind the brake disc.

The problem is determining which one has failed as the fault indication you have could refer to any of them. The very best way is to visit a dealer who can perform diagnostics with a Lexia machine or similar and this will nail down precisely which one has failed. Diagnosing failed ABS sensors by trail and error is not on as off-times, especially on the rears, they suffer damage being removed.

Fronts are generally easy to replace but rears can be a bit of a trial. Against that, fronts seem to be the more likely to fail.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Xsara Picassos all have drums on the back - and ABS cars do not have a load limiting valve on the rear brakes. You should therefore drive it only with extreme caution if the ABS is U/S as braking hard could cause a rear end lock up and the car to swap ends pretty quickly :shock: I'd have thought any garage would have a scanner that could read the ABS ECU and point to the faulty one.
Richard W