De-catting a Xantia 90 Hdi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Mark wrote
"I removed the guts out of a cat a few years ago on a Carlton 2L i"

if you remove the cat from a petrol car it will fail the MOT,

as others are saying the cat is not tested for the MOT in the UK yet,

also even a brand new diesel engine chucks out particals which i belive clogg up the cat, and definetly restict gas flow out of the engine,

my previous workshop land lord dose cylinder head work for a liveing,

he gas flowed my daughters dersh and my old BX 1.9D,

just after we had finnished my daughters dersh re/build she went to the dersh world meetting in Austria,

on her return she said were dersh's usualy have to change down in gear
up hills, she had to change down to keep of the dersh in fronts back bumper, but it did not have much more top end,

with the BX same again did not have much more top end but excelerated a lot quiker and smoother, also most citroens dont like 4th gear at 30 round town, but after being gas flowed my BX was happy to do so,

regards malcolm
centurus2400

Post by centurus2400 »

All I can say is that I had my 01 plate C5 110 HDi de-catted recently, and then put it in for an MOT, which it passed with no problems. There was no mention at all about the lack of a catlyst. All that mattered was the results of the smoke test.

The car has done over 125,000 miles with only routine maintenance required on the engine. Without even the benefit of an Italian tune up on the way to the MOT station, the smoke test came out at 0.86 average, which I thought was pretty reasonable. (Limit is 3.0)

The man who does the MOT is notably strict, if there was any doubt at all about the de-cat, I would have been told.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Nice to know, I will decat mine when the exhaust next needs attention (not too soon I hope).