Wheel sizes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hullo CitroV6, I stand corrected. :oops:

After a little reading of some of the technical documents, the ZX, Xantia, XM2, Xsara and a few other Citroens have been fitted with the patented 'programmed self-steering rear axles' developed by Citroen and introduced in the ZX as a technical innovation.

I have yet to find an engineering explanation as to what components are 'programmed' and how the system operates to achieve the desired effect other than the maximum deflection at the rear wheels is about 3 degrees, allowing the car to turn into the corner quicker but also affording better response to the steering. The movement is controlled by the two front bushes in the subframe.

I assume that these will be subject to wear as shown in many ZXs with clunky rear ends.

Anybody had this probelm with other models with this setup?

Handyman
citrov6
My Cars:

Post by citrov6 »

not a problem handyman.

i never came to these forums to argue. more to learn about the character of the cars i'm interested in. unfortunately i don't work with my cars as much as i want to anymore so i am not familiar with every nut and bolt as many on here are.

interesting it is 3 degrees i was looking for that figure thanks
Love my black v6 xant - only one with cream coloured leather too!
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Ive no idea how it works either, although i understand its just to do with the bushes and mounts. Its in no way connected to anything and only reacts with the cars weight and direction.

You can actually feel it working, if you throw an Xm or Xantia into a bend it feels very slightly like the back is breaking away, however its the rear steer coming into effect to help you around the bend. Its not all that noticable and probably doesnt move if you just potter around, but when pressing on you can feel it doing its stuff, ever so slightly. I guess it helps with the stability and cornering abilities. Definitely a car which belies its size on winding roads.

So not actual 4 wheel steer like the new Laguna Coupe, id like to see and experience how that works.

I dont personally think Xantias suit really big wheels, 16"s would be as big as id say for one. Some designs make the car look a bit dumpy.

Chris.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10