C6 - The adventure continues........in blue

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Trainman
Donor 2018
Posts: 2585
Joined: 21 Aug 2009, 11:58
x 12

Re: C6 - The adventure continues........in blue

Post by Trainman »

Time for another update, After going to the Technical Forum over in Yorkshire last month, I was a bit wary with the grip of the tyres, it turns out that my feelings were not unfounded. Requiring the replacement of all four tyres, This left me with a rather unpleasant taste in my mouth, given the cost of the 'Michelins' so what to do? I decide that given the fact the tax is due at the end of this month, I would take a gamble with some "cheapies" to get me through the winter. These turned out to be a set of 'AUTOGRIP' 245x45x18 100w for the princely sum of £320 fitted and balanced. However, the reason for needing all four replacing was that the tracking was out (and I REALLY mean out) the tyres were toeing out so the outside edge looked brand new whilst the inside was almost through to the canvas.

The next item on the agenda therefore was to get the tracking done, now the only place available was National, and yes I know they aren't the best........ therefore I was surprised to find one with a Citroen enthusiast inside :shock: =D> who almost fell over himself to get the car up on the ramp, and what did we find?

Well, the rears were done first and bearing in mind that the angle is +1 they were actually at +9 (yes, plus nine) this of course meant that the front (again +1) were also out to +5. So everything set up correctly and BLOODY HELL!!! what a different car =D>

I now have a list of things to get done next week whilst having a weeks leave:

1. Front brakes squealing.
2. spoiler deploying for no reason and staying deployed whilst engine off.
3. Update satnav after a very generous member donated his discs to me, after the fairly recent denise of his C6.
4. Heater plugs fuse or bulb blown (I hope its the fuse :? ).
5. Good Lexia session to clear the bugs (If there are any).
6. Replace the stupid jubilee clip on the return pipe to the LDS reservoir.
7. then a damn good clean and polish.

Citroenmad
Posts: 8110
Joined: 04 Dec 2008, 23:08
x 28

Re: C6 - The adventure continues........in blue

Post by Citroenmad »

Wow, that tracking was way out! I bet it feels so much better to drive now?

I did my C5 last week, the front was toeing out by quite some way, it does feel an awful lot sharper and back to its usual self.

I thought you had Autogrip tyres on your previous C6? You must like them?

Trainman
Donor 2018
Posts: 2585
Joined: 21 Aug 2009, 11:58
x 12

Re: C6 - The adventure continues........in blue

Post by Trainman »

Citroenmad wrote:Wow, that tracking was way out! I bet it feels so much better to drive now?

I did my C5 last week, the front was toeing out by quite some way, it does feel an awful lot sharper and back to its usual self.

I thought you had Autogrip tyres on your previous C6? You must like them?
Chris,

I did and to be honest I do, but you know what some people are like when it comes to tyres :? have to be the right make or better :? all I'm bothered about is they have to be black, round and quiet and to be fair the autogrip aren't to bad.

As for the tracking, I'm going to take it back again next week to see how it's settled down.

Citroenmad
Posts: 8110
Joined: 04 Dec 2008, 23:08
x 28

Re: C6 - The adventure continues........in blue

Post by Citroenmad »

You've just described me there Steve, im a bit of a tyre snob :lol:

All our C5s have a Michelin diet, though I do know where to get a full set of new C5 Michelins for budget prices. :roll:

My Activa has some Fulda Progressos on the front and I find those superb, in fact they are not long due for changing and I think ill get some more of them. It has a pair of Michelins on the rear which, when used on the front, perfrom very much the same as the half price Fuldas.

Good wet grip is what I look for in a tyre, I dont mind if they wear fast, as long as they grip well in poor weather.

If anything, you prove that running a C6 doesnt have to be as costly as I first thought. Sticking to Michelins for the C6 is something around £1000 a set I think? :shock: Few C6s seem to be fitted with those after their first set, not surprising.

Trainman
Donor 2018
Posts: 2585
Joined: 21 Aug 2009, 11:58
x 12

Re: C6 - The adventure continues........in blue

Post by Trainman »

Citroenmad wrote:You've just described me there Steve, im a bit of a tyre snob :lol:
Opps sorry :-D :-D :-D
Citroenmad wrote:If anything, you prove that running a C6 doesnt have to be as costly as I first thought. Sticking to Michelins for the C6 is something around £1000 a set I think? :shock: Few C6s seem to be fitted with those after their first set, not surprising.
I believe that the prices of Michilins is now around the £1200 mark, which to me is just a no-brainer, there are, of course, a number of other brands out there, Hankook, Falkens, etc for less money than the Michilins, but sometimes, It's as you say Badge snobbery. No doubt this will start another discussion on the merits of dicing with death by buying cheaper tyres, or another one I have heard is the insurance companies won't payout because you're not using the manfactuers recommend tyres. :^o at the end of the day, it's my choice and my money......

Citroenmad
Posts: 8110
Joined: 04 Dec 2008, 23:08
x 28

Re: C6 - The adventure continues........in blue

Post by Citroenmad »

Ive not heard about insurance companies not paying out due to tyre brand, that must surely be a myth?

Some cheaper tyres are decent, you just need to watch what you buy. Online tyre reviews are an excellent sources of research, as are tests carried out by motoring mags.

Citroenmad
Posts: 8110
Joined: 04 Dec 2008, 23:08
x 28

Re:

Post by Citroenmad »

Trainman wrote:
Anyway thought this might interest some of you, although I did pinch it from another site:
Managed to obtain these from Citroën UK, so we have definitive information now. However, they wouldn't reveal the breakdown of sales of the different model variants.

As you can see, sales have been pitiful but they've also been declining heavily since 2007, with the current year looking like being the worst full year so far, despite the new diesel engine. I would therefore not be at all surprised if production is stopped next year, as it can't surely be economic to produce these numbers.

2005 - 10
2006 - 167
2007 - 363
2008 - 163
2009 - 134
2010 - 40 (to June)

Total to June 2010 - 877
Now in 2005 there were 10, one is mine (YOA)

Image

One is YOD which was pictured at Elvington

Image

and another is YON pictured at Wetherby

Image

So thats 3 of the orignal 10, I wonder where the other 7 are :?: :?: :?:
Here is YOL, I spotted it today in Middlesbrough:

Image
Image

Thought it might have been your previous one (I couldn't remember its end letter) as it was the same colour and had Autogrip rear tyres. I wonder if yours is back on the road yet?

KP
Posts: 3981
Joined: 10 Jul 2006, 12:11
x 7

Re: C6 - The adventure continues........in blue

Post by KP »

Just do a plate check if you know it and see if it's been retaxed :-)

Citroenmad
Posts: 8110
Joined: 04 Dec 2008, 23:08
x 28

Re: C6 - The adventure continues........in blue

Post by Citroenmad »

KP wrote:Just do a plate check if you know it and see if it's been retaxed :-)

GF55 YOA is taxed till the 1/7/12.

But its not insured ...

KP
Posts: 3981
Joined: 10 Jul 2006, 12:11
x 7

Re: C6 - The adventure continues........in blue

Post by KP »

How much tax did you leave on it Steve as it could still be taxed without classed as insured, ie under a business policy and the likes :-)

Trainman
Donor 2018
Posts: 2585
Joined: 21 Aug 2009, 11:58
x 12

Re: C6 - The adventure continues........in blue

Post by Trainman »

Chris, it was YOA.

Will, none,

KP
Posts: 3981
Joined: 10 Jul 2006, 12:11
x 7

Re: C6 - The adventure continues........in blue

Post by KP »

Well it looks like its been put back on the road :-) they didn't take too long to do that and get it vic'd a well and new mot :-D

Trainman
Donor 2018
Posts: 2585
Joined: 21 Aug 2009, 11:58
x 12

Re: C6 - The adventure continues........in blue

Post by Trainman »

Actually, I suspect it's the DVLA computer, That's when it was taxed until.......... but once the car had been written off, I handed the tax disc back into the local DVLA office.

If/when it does become available, I still have a lot of paperwork for it including the key card, service history and variuos other bits and bobs.

User avatar
Citroening
Posts: 2512
Joined: 26 Feb 2010, 21:19
x 8

Re: C6 - The adventure continues........in blue

Post by Citroening »

This looks familliar eh Steve:

http://www.copart.co.uk/c2/homeSearch.h ... CH_RESULTS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Damage doesn't look too bad in the photos...

Trainman
Donor 2018
Posts: 2585
Joined: 21 Aug 2009, 11:58
x 12

Re: C6 - The adventure continues........in blue

Post by Trainman »

Citroening wrote:This looks familliar eh Steve:

http://www.copart.co.uk/c2/homeSearch.h ... CH_RESULTS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Damage doesn't look too bad in the photos...
Ah, so they've finally got their act into gear, it a good buy for someone.

On a serious note, if anyone does decide to go for it, let me know, I still have the MOT (July, I think), manuals, service book (fully stamped upto date by a dealer), the key card and various other bits and pieces.