C6 - The adventure continues........in blue

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Citroening

Post by Citroening »

Very sorry to hear that Steve. :cry:

bxzx16v

Post by bxzx16v »

Hope you get the C6 sorted :cry: it looks a beauty

Mark

Trainman
Donor 2018

Post by Trainman »

Deanxm wrote:may also be the perfect time to get the 3.0? if you can find one.
That was my thoughts exactly, but, being as they're as rare as rocking horse doodoo ....... :)
myglaren wrote:Hope that this won't be "the end of an adventure" :cry:
It won't be Steve, I'm just not sure where 'the adventure' will take me.
Citroening wrote:Very sorry to hear that Steve. :cry:
Got to admit Franklin, I wasn't best Chuffed, still on the bright side, I know where there's a cracking gearbox for your old fella :wink: well his car actually....... :lol: :lol: :lol:
bxzx16v wrote:Hope you get the C6 sorted :cry: it looks a beauty

Mark
Yeah I know, She still is, just a bit sore looking :roll: :cry: :cry: :cry:

DHallworth
Donor 2016

Post by DHallworth »

Steve,

If the insurance company do write the car off I'd seriously consider buying it back and repairing it myself!

David.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

DHallworth wrote:Steve,

If the insurance company do write the car off I'd seriously consider buying it back and repairing it myself!

David.
You don't need to buy it back, it remains your property when you claim on someone else's insurance.

It is only when you claim on your own insurance that the car goes to the insurers, who will often sell it back to you very cheaply.

Trainman
Donor 2018

Post by Trainman »

DHallworth wrote:Steve,

David.
David, I'd already thought of dropping you note but you've beaten me to it, anyway here is a link to the pictures, apologies for the quality, they were taken on a Blackberry

http://s661.photobucket.com/albums/uu33 ... %20Damage/

red_dwarfers
Donor 2020

Post by red_dwarfers »

Not good Steve, though of course at least you're alright :)

Trainman
Donor 2018

Post by Trainman »

Kev,

I agree, especially given this reply to the same conversation over at C6owners

the exterior damage is a rear bumper, but they are £1,359.53 unpainted without any of the trim bits that may not be reusable.

Then the floor panel itself + possible rear frame come to another £812.68

That's a potential £2,172.21 in parts, without labour and paint, so you can see how the cost of repair could escalate

KP

Post by KP »

Sorry to hear and see the bad news Steve :(

looking at the pics most the bits could be salvaged from the bumper, just the plastic lower lip may not be possible, especially if the chrome is just got a minor mark or two on it and you could live with it or get it resprayed if replacement is more pricey :(

I hope you are claiming direct with the 3rd party and don't involve your co unless it gets nasty or until the end of it all :)

The boot floor could pull out i guess if you got it done right but if a replacement panel is cheap enough and doesn't need much work it would be better to replace while the bumper and other bits are off. is the rear cross beam section done as well as they are meant to be like the fron ones and solid as a rock to shed the load across both sides of the car??

Just think if you had a towbar the chassis would certainly have taken that brunt and been done for!!

And i agree with the above, if they write it off still keep it as they are only about 2k as salvage in the real world ;) and repair would be no more than than i would guess and the other money could then allow you to sell it on and upgrade to a 3.0 possibly :), silver lining and all that.

She doesn't twitch about when driving or skit does she? A cheap test would be a full laser alignment to see if any wheels have shifted at the back in any direction as for £40-50 that would be a good indicator if any suspension bits have been moved around too as underneath is where the real damage hides in most shunts :(

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you steve, especially now your MPG is creeping up without the bexhill requirement :D

Trainman
Donor 2018

Post by Trainman »

KP wrote:Sorry to hear and see the bad news Steve :(

looking at the pics most the bits could be salvaged from the bumper, just the plastic lower lip may not be possible, especially if the chrome is just got a minor mark or two on it and you could live with it or get it resprayed if replacement is more pricey :(

I hope you are claiming direct with the 3rd party and don't involve your co unless it gets nasty or until the end of it all :)
I am buddy, although the other parties insurance weren't chuffed to discover that there insured hadn't reported it to them :roll:
KP wrote:And i agree with the above, if they write it off still keep it as they are only about 2k as salvage in the real world ;) and repair would be no more than than i would guess and the other money could then allow you to sell it on and upgrade to a 3.0 possibly :), silver lining and all that.

Don't even think of starting me on this one :lol: I always promised 'The Queen Mother' I would have a new car when she snuffed it............. to which she used to go ballistic :lol: :lol: :lol:
KP wrote:She doesn't twitch about when driving or skit does she? A cheap test would be a full laser alignment to see if any wheels have shifted at the back in any direction as for £40-50 that would be a good indicator if any suspension bits have been moved around too as underneath is where the real damage hides in most shunts :(
She still drives extremey well, the main issue is that I can close the boot, hence the central locking won't work. I've had a quick shufftie, and I can't see to much, it really depends on what happens when the engineer come calling........
KP wrote:I'll keep my fingers crossed for you steve, especially now your MPG is creeping up without the bexhill requirement :D
DON'T YOU START.............. I know it's my birthday this week, but haven't got to the pensionable age yet :lol: :lol: :lol:

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

If the boot won't close, then some panels will need pulling out, but that should not be a problem with modern computer-driven jigs.

It looks quite repairable, especially if you are prepared to wait for a second-hand bumper to come available.

You just need to play hardball with the insurers to get an adequate payout if they won't repair it.

The central-locking should be able to be fooled if you find some way of operating the switch which is probably just below the fixed catch.

Trainman
Donor 2018

Post by Trainman »

Thankfully we have an excellent family friend who used to be an insurance broker for 35 years, you can rest assured that the insurance company won't be getting off lightly :lol: :lol: :lol:

DHallworth
Donor 2016

Post by DHallworth »

Any idea when they're hoping to have a look at the car for you Steve?

Someone went into the back of my dad's 406 Coupe a few years ago now and we demanded that they put us back in the position we were in before the accident...

They repaired the car at one of the best bodyshops in Glasgow... You couldn't tell it was ever damaged to look at.

David.

Trainman
Donor 2018

Post by Trainman »

David,

No idea at all, they haven't been in touch yet, however, given they only found out yesterday, despite the bump being on Saturday, I'm not holding out much hope of them coming before weekend :?

As bodyshops go there are quite a few good ones around Preston, Blackpool and Southport. Not to mention at least 3 Citroen dealers, with the facilities as well :wink:

The Xantia I had was repaired at one very local place and they did excellent work, as was the C5, but at a place near Blackpool (that I forget the name of [must be getting old]).

To be honest I just want some movement on it, the hire car is a BMW 520D auto and I have to say it's nowhere near as comfy as the C6 :cry:

DHallworth
Donor 2016

Post by DHallworth »

When my C6 was in for repair (I had to drive it to Manchester as the Glasgow dealership were useless) Citroen UK hired me a car to go back and forth in until mine was ready.

They hired me a Vauxhall Insignia which had a flat tyre when I was due to collect it.

Instead I got given a Mercedes C180 Blue Efficiency. It had the upgraded AMG alloys with tyres like elastic bands and sport suspension on it!!

When I got the C6 back, not only did it feel like a rocket, I couldn't get over how smooth it was again!

David.