shame: silver xantia V6 on ebay

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

At least you have some hope of salvaging a nice engine from a scrapped car.

Have you seen what they're doing in America with their scrappage scheme? The engine has to be killed by means of sodium silicate, ie. liquid glass which turns solid with engine heat.

You can't tell me that killing off a clean Volvo like this one is "green". The idiots that think this is progress should be hung from a lamp post by their testicles. :roll:

The prescribed and approved method of disabling a car according to law involves replacing the engine's oil with sodium silicate, more commonly known as liquid glass. When the car is run with a mixture of water and sodium silicate the liquid quickly evaporates and the solids are left behind, causing most of the oiled surfaces to seize and break.

As you can see in the video above, the results are fairly horrific. You can actually hear this car scream. In fact, if you watch all the way, you'll see it spout up its last bit of oil before it breathes its last breath. WARNING: this is only to be instructive and educational, do not try and do this before you turn in your car.
ImageImage
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

That is absolutely despicable.
Perfectly good car and there can't have been anything wrong with the engine for it to survive that misstreatment as long as it did.
Idiots complaining that an oil change costs $75 :shock: . What proportion of the value of the car is that and how much per mile traveled. Next to nothing.

People are devoid of common sense.

I have a friend in the US that needs a car for work but can't get finance as she has only just moved there and despite an excellent position with NASA (she's a Doctor of Astrophysics) is having to buy a wreck to be able to trade it in in six months time.
That Volvo that they just destroyed would have lasted her for years and cost the environment nothing.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Scrapping perfectly good cars to "save the economy" is absolute madness in my opinion.
There was even talk recently of a fridge scrappage scheme to get people to buy new fridges! Why? To reduce CO2 emissions. What about the CO2 produced when the new fridges are built?, and what about the CFCs that many of the older ones contain which will have to be extracted and stored somehow? Fridges last forever, until recently my mum was quite happy using a fridge she had received as a wedding present in 1971!

I read an article the other day written by an economist who said that these schemes are crazy, and the next stage will be government officials going round smashing everyone's windows to "help the glazing industry" :lol:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Now I KNOW the world has gone completely stark, raving mad.

Is there any hope?

Those people seemed to enjoy destroying that car :evil:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
deian

Post by deian »

THOSE people are americans. They always have to go that one step further than us don't they. I got quite emotional seeing that perfectly good volvo being destroyed. Idiots!!!! I saw nothing wrong with that volvo, it lasted well.

The world is going mad, I reckon the end of the world is near, when sheer stupidity like this comes from the very people who become the politicians.

Why can't people have the balls to stand up and do something against stupidity like this. I hate to say it but we british just accept this kind of thing, the french however will do the protests before we will.

Thats why we drive their cars right!
Ross_K
2004 Toyota Prius

Post by Ross_K »

At least somebody's getting a laugh out of the whole scrappage thing: :D

But yeah, the Volvo vid confirms my belief that our cousins across the Atlantic are a bunch of f**kwits.
ImageImage
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

deian wrote:I got quite emotional seeing that perfectly good volvo being destroyed. Idiots!!!!
I did too Dei, in fact it's upset me more than I thought it would.

I'm worried for another reason. Now the "secret" of how to really werck an engine is out, how long before certain elements of our society decide to do this as part of their mindless evening vandalism "entertainment" to unsuspecting cars?

Sugar in the petrol tank was bad enough but sodium silicate is on another level entirely.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

State sponsored vandalism is what it is. I can't help feeling the history books won't be kind to these times we're living through, particularly as natural resources begin to get more scarce in the future.

Perhaps if US manufacturers could build an engine as robust as that Volvo's they wouldn't need to hand out bribes to get people to buy their cars . . . . . .

Look how long a Jeep engine lasts, (or doesn't)

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote:
deian wrote:I got quite emotional seeing that perfectly good volvo being destroyed. Idiots!!!!
I did too Dei, in fact it's upset me more than I thought it would.
Willful destruction of a perfectly good car, or anything else for that matter, is beyond shameful.

I'm worried for another reason. Now the "secret" of how to really werck an engine is out, how long before certain elements of our society decide to do this as part of their mindless evening vandalism "entertainment" to unsuspecting cars?

Sugar in the petrol tank was bad enough but sodium silicate is on another level entirely.
I imagine that running it at high revs without oil and water would have the same effect.
citrov6
My Cars:

Post by citrov6 »

everything has to be visual doesn't. that is a really graphic way to kill a car
Love my black v6 xant - only one with cream coloured leather too!
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Dei,

You should update your Signiture... Im sure thats a VERY strange ZX you been driving, and wasn't it blue !! :D

Watch in your rear view mirror, because before you've turned round I would have passed!!!!

Yep, I got a V6 already - and by god - I thought the V6 XM auto was fast...

Thats all im saying

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

What on earth was wrong with that Volvo, who ever scrapped it should be shot, never mind the people responsible for what happened to it.

Thats a very sad thing to watch, especially on such a good car.

Thats just vandalism.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Ross_K
2004 Toyota Prius

Post by Ross_K »

Did a bit of googling on the reg of the Volvo. It was a 2000 S80 T6... The Kelly Blue Book website (same idea as Glass's guide) values it at about $6000, so it was actually worth more as a trade-in than the $4500 scrappage allowance.

Where's the logic in that?? Apart from dealers not wanting to be stuck with second-hand inventory...

In a worse case scenario, what's wrong with sticking these so-called "clunkers" on a ship to South America or anywhere else where they might serve a useful life?

The Japs have been doing the same thing for years with cars that are too old to pass the shaken... Buyers in New Zealand, Ireland and a lot of other RHD countries were happy to have them.
ImageImage
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

I watched that and I'm now immensely angry. :x :x :evil: :evil:

Surprising how that affected me.

That is willful destruction of a perfectly good car and yet it is being done because some out of touch politicians deem it to be green to destroy it to purchase for another car! Madness doesn't even begin to describe it.

How can that be green?! I don't believe in all this green/global warming/climate change/ carbon emissions rubbish anyway, but if you absolutely HAVE to be green that is not the way to do it!

As Steve said, that engine must have been tip top to survive that long (compare it with the Jeep) so why on this earth do that to it.

Scrappage schemes like that and the one in this country are full of holes. They are flawed to the core.

Worried that we are going to harm the world? It's going to hell in a handcart long before any of the phony global warming lark and it's all down to people who have no sense in positions of power. As I say, I am furious after watching that video. :evil:
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

So enviromentally friendly. Oil everywhere, fuel wasted. A perfectly good car ruined. Its stupid. Just stupid. I dont get it.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;