Xantia V6 24v Front manifold exhaust

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Not an option for me at the moment Jim!! :(

Even possibly delaying putting the S1 24v XM on the road..

Will have too see what happens in the next week or so... :(

Paul

PS: Keeps the milage down too.... :wink:
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I acquired a replacement pipe, and today had the "enjoyment" of fitting it.

To get the pipe off is a bit tricky, as it wraps around the driveshaft and is intertwined with the rear exhaust header. To untangle it, you have to jack the car up quite high (for ground clearance), then undo the clamp holding the rear header pipe to the rear manifold, undo the support bracket which is bolted to the cylinder block.

Then, after the clamps on the front header are undone, the rear header can be coaxed down and towrads the bak of the car by a few mm, which just gives enough clearance to ease out the front header and the repalcement in.

Those familiar with the V6 exhaust will have noticed that there is a short section of straight pipe between the front manifold and the pipe going under the engine. I could never see the purppose of having the extra joint, but it is now obvious that the extra joint is required to allow the under-engine pipe to be aligned correctly (as the engine block and manifolds don't flex very much).

BTW, the under-engine pipe is double skinned for most of its length, the holes in mine were in the double skinned part, but is still seemed to leak.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Well done Mike :D UI guessed it was going to be an "interesting" job. It's a bit of a devil doing it with the engine out and free of driveshafts so in-situ it really must be a trial :twisted:

Interesting on the short section. I did wonder if it was for the fitting of a pre-cat (the ES9J4S has them) but now I know :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...