BX GTi Cambelt change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JimW
My Cars:

BX GTi Cambelt change

Post by JimW »

I'm going to be replacing the cambelt on my '88 BX19GTi in the next few days.
Is it worth replacing the water pump at the same time, as they are fairly cheap ?
This car is just over 15 years old, I'm 99% sure that the Crank Pulley bolt has never been undone (the cambelt certainly hasn't been replaced) - is it likely to break when I try to undo it ?
Thanks.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Jim mate.....don't breath!!!
15 years on the original belt & it hasn't broken??? Guinness book of records for you[:0][:0]
And yes, please do the pump.
4 years or 80,000 klms is the norm and it is advisable to do the pump at the same time. I'd go one further, also replace the tensioners too.
Don't worry about the nut on the crankshaft as the 10mm bolts holding the pulley are the ones needing removal. Give them a spray with WD40 asap to help them loosen & save any dramas......oh, I forgot to mention; buy a raffle ticket too.
Alan S[:D][}:)]
JimW
My Cars:

Post by JimW »

Thanks Alan - you've confirmed what I was thinking about the water pump.
I also got a tensioner when I picked the new belt up from GSF. Mind you, I was surprised that it didn't include a new spring - do these ever need replacing ?
The car was laid up for nearly four years early on, it's still only done 64,000 miles. Perhaps I should hang on and see if I can get 20 years from the original cambelt [:D].
Oh - by the way - I'm pretty sure that the Alternator and HP belts are originals (although they won't be by this time next week), is this also a record ?
Jim.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JimW</i>

Thanks Alan - you've confirmed what I was thinking about the water pump.
I also got a tensioner when I picked the new belt up from GSF. Mind you, I was surprised that it didn't include a new spring - do these ever need replacing ?
The car was laid up for nearly four years early on, it's still only done 64,000 miles. Perhaps I should hang on and see if I can get 20 years from the original cambelt [:D].
Oh - by the way - I'm pretty sure that the Alternator and HP belts are originals (although they won't be by this time next week), is this also a record ?
Jim.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I'd reckon it would nearly have to be.
We're used to hearing horror stories about cars barely going over the suggested mileage & going pop.
I don't think I'll sleep until I hear you've replaced these bits & all is well.[:0][xx(][:p][}:)][:D][:D]
Alan S[:o)]