Adapter for steeringwheel radio controls

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Krede
My Cars:

Post by Krede »

Xantia 2.0 Hdi , Talbot Matra Murena 2.2(fuel injected ;) )
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

has anyone not thought of asking in one of these custom car stereo shops that sell big sub speakers, surely they would have adapter leads for this

perhaps even Halfords would know because they apparently fit cd changers in the boot which require adapter leads so that the steering wheel controls can be used to control the changer.

I reckon it might be worth seeking out a loud booming citroen saxo with a boy racer present and I wouldnt mind betting he has been down the same/similar route. he might at least know something about it.

worth a try?

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

That CD player in the handbook's not a Blaupunkt. It's a Clarion PU-2294B. :-k

Found in the Saxo, Berlingo and Xsara...
ImageImage
Krede
My Cars:

Post by Krede »

That CD player in the handbook's not a Blaupunkt. It's a Clarion PU-2294B
He he he he. ](*,) I take your word for it.... I don't know how I got into my head that it was a blaupunkt......I have gone through the Manual and it says NOTHING about the make of the unit at all..

To be honest I think I'll go buy a Clarion unit and save the panasonic for another time/car.... maybe it will go back in the Murena when I get it on the road again... though I could hardly hear it from the noise of the engine :)
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

Believe me, it's a Clarion. :)

So now that we've established that, next job is to check that remote control cable. I'm 99.99% sure it's going to be plugged into the "real" remote connector behind the dash somewhere.

Get digging. And get some photos of what you find. [-o<
ImageImage
Krede
My Cars:

Post by Krede »

I will.... tomorrow... if the hangover isn't too bad...(after you pass 30 drinking and doing anything useful the next day just isn't possible)

However....I'm still not convinced that giving up and getting another stereo isn't the right, French approach to this problem! :)
ok2ucx
My Cars:

Post by ok2ucx »

Hi,

I think I can bring something to this thread, as I've built (as a hobby) almost 100 converters (adaptors) for various Citroen/Peugeot/Opel (replacing OEM radios) and several head unit brands, so far just for Czech 'market' within last 12 months.

Have a look at this (Czech) website: http://pavel.lajsner.sweb.cz/swc/ it gives all possible combinations what (new) radios can be controlled from which steering wheels (cars). Most of these combinations are not commercially available, that's why I've designed this converter (and especially the software for it). It's been very detective reverse engineering work to determine what's the format of messages that needs to be sent to the head units.

Google can translate this page in English fairly well : http://translate.google.com/translate?j ... l=cs&tl=en

! can say that:
* PU2294 is Clarion
* your Xantia should have yellow MiniISO connector with four wires connected to steering wheel
* there's no compatibilty between steering wheels and brand head units, not even new Clarions with you PU2294 Clarion (except one Alpine unit that can learn your steering wheel)
* PSA engineers were very 'creative' in designing various versions of the steering wheel controls (there are ~10 different (= not compatible) versions used in PSA cars from 90's), unlike Opel which has just 1(!) version.
* your Panasonic head unit is very likely to be supported. There should be single brown-black wire on the back of the head unit connected to nowhere.
* I can build one for you, if you want. It's ~25€

Pavel
X2 2.1TD 1998 || Volvo V70 D5 2002 || VW Bug 1966