Plip Vs Key

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

olly
My Cars:

Plip Vs Key

Post by olly »

Hi all,
Well another day driving my "new" xantia 1995 (m) 2.0i with no instruction book.
Since my both of my pliper things will not work, i was thinking of just using the normal Citroen key that came with the 2 plipper keys.
I just wondered if this is ok 'cos i'm sure i read or heard that you have to use the key on the plipper to either open or start the car, is this true??
look forward to hearing from you and having a less bulky keyring
[:)]
olly
Ps. of course if someone would scan in the owners book i would not have these prblems[;)][;)][:D]
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

I think that the more modern Xantia's have a transponder built into the key. Hence no numeric pad on the newer models.
Mine is a 1998 model, with keypad, and I can use either the plip or the key to lock and unlock the doors. However only the plip will set the alarm. There should be no problem in using the keys on the plip to lock/unlock and start the car. When I bought my car new I was given 2 keys with plips and another normal key.
It may be useful to know that if you hold the key in the lock position, 45 degrees, for about 3 seconds the doors will deadlock. You will first hear them lock and then shortly afterwards deadlock. Don't do this if there is anybody in the car as it makes the internal door handles inoperative.
Richard Green
Fox
My Cars:

Post by Fox »

My 1994 does the same thing Rich - it has no keypad, but I can use the plip to arm and disarm the alarm, deadlock the car, etc etc. I cannot remember the last time I used the lock.