Hello Again.

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

DOMW

Re: Hello Again.

Post by DOMW »

Looked a good turnout.
red_dwarfers wrote:I don't know Tim, there are a lot of 24 year olds I think are in pretty good shape :lol:

Why thank you Kev!.......... :lol:

red_dwarfers
Donor 2020

Post by red_dwarfers »

DOMW wrote:
Why thank you Kev!.......... :lol:
My pleasure Mr Weston :lol:

vince

Post by vince »

Tim, your cars are enviously clean 8-) Looks fabulous

tim leech
Donor 2016

Post by tim leech »

Well time for an update, busy busy busy these days, plus I am getting a hankering for something older and British....

BX 16TRS was sold 2 months ago to a guy in Brighton and the Mk1 19DTR is also up for sale, I do think two BX 1.9 petrols with £225 a year tax is enough aswell as the Xantia and Sd1.....

See you all at the National Rally!

In other news, we did this last month, 8 BX's, all over 20 years old, most with WELL over 100000 miles on them (a few had over 200) and none of them gave an ounce of bother...

Thanks to Paul Handley for the pictures!

1650 miles round trip from Leech towers round Scotland and back again, averaging 40mpg.....(1.9 Petrol)

bxzx16v

Post by bxzx16v »

Nice pics , it looked a good trip .

Mark

tim leech
Donor 2016

Post by tim leech »

It was Mark, glad to see your keeping your ZX! Will we see you at the National?

Strange isnt it, I guess im so used to modern cars (power steering, electric windows etc) that I miss the fun of driving...I hanker after a manual choke, 4 gears, wind up windows and rubbish heater! :-D (sorry not a 2CV lover here) but would swop the DTR for something like a Moggy or Herald!

tim leech
Donor 2016

Post by tim leech »

My god, has it been two year since the last update, so many things have changed....

Firstly, I met my soul mate in late 2012, we now live together and will be getting married next year, we are engaged/partnered but are looking to have a proper bash, sadly he doesn't share my love of Gallic cars but understands and humours me, so much so he the latest purchase (to be collected next week) he has agreed to pay for as birthday present!

A few movers and shakers car wise, I scratched my itch with wanting something British and old bought and sold a 65 Minor 1000 which I enjoyed, I did sell two MINT bx's to fund it which in some ways was a mistake, although the 19DTR paintwork let it down and drive me mad, plus do you need 4 BX's! all of which were so mint I didn't used them.....anyway the minor, well I bought it off ebay from a deaf man (yes he was deaf, and blind looking athe paintwork) it was slow, noisy, didn't stop and strangely it was rather unreliable, and Michael didn't like it at all, I enjoyed it for 12 months and fixed all the issues but it needed painting and I couldn't justify £2000 I didn't have on a repaint sold for a fair sum and the money was well used. (paying off debts etc)

Also I am now a self employed contractor for the VW dealer I once worked for, a promotion in many ways but I lost the company wagon, but saving a huge amount of tax, which meant for the first time in 15 years I needed a daily driver....so I did something stupid and bought the first car I looked at, a Xantia SX TD....which is on here somewhere, and then a Xantia Desire Auto, and next week a Xantia TD Athena, and have been given a Rover 25 and a BX TZD aswell as still having the SD1 and 2 other BX's and a my fathers Xantia (which still runs crap)

I am sure I said somewhere I would never buy another Xantia, the green one is rather shabby and has popped its clutch clip and throttle cable, but mechanically its great and runs well on its new spheres, wheels and many other things, the red Auto is LOVELY and so smooth but needs a sill repair and some paint to the front end .....

To be continued!

The 25, which we bought new, and has now had my treatment

Xantia Desire after a clean (it now wears S2 Exclusive wheels)

TD SX when it snapped its throttle cable!

superloopy

Post by superloopy »

[quote="tim leech"]
Xantia Desire after a clean (it now wears S2 Exclusive wheels)

Tim ... those are VSX wheels and not Exclusive. Or did you mean you've now swapped to Exclusive wheels. BTW those VSX wheels do look smart, why would you change'em?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

tim leech
Donor 2016

Post by tim leech »

Yes I've taken the VSX wheels off (pictured) and fitted them to my SX and fitted some S2 exclusive wheels to this one, which I think work really well,

Thanks

tim leech
Donor 2016

Post by tim leech »

Well now the Xantia count is 4, the Desire is the daily driver and has covered 1500 trouble free miles since May, its a lovely way to travel, unfortunately the front height corrector is still stuffed even after being replaced but at the end of the month its off to Bourne Citroen for a sill repair, MOT and I will get him to look at that as well. The green SX TD should be moted and have its new clutch which knowing what I know now I wouldn't have bothered with, it seems Xantias are so cheap its just not worth spending money on one, just buy a better one, which is what I did......

The latest acquisition is a Polar White 1.9 TD Athena (VSX without leather basically), which is barely run in at 75'000 miles, came with a full MOT and has a Citroen service history, and was less than the green one!. This is to become the daily driver in the nicer weather and maybe the green SX TD in the winter as the white one has the potential to be a stunner. The 1 previous owner (plus Citroen UK) was elderly and with that comes a fair few "giffer" marks which will need sorting, the interior however is unworn and mechanically besides a flat accu sphere and very overdue (i.e. never done!) cam-belt and tensioners its pretty impressive.
-
Sadly the wheels are all really battered and bent and the tyres a mishmash of old MXL's(possibly the originals at the rear) and nasty budgets so a set of aftermarket wheels with new tyres are being tidied in readiness, I imagine some of you will hate them as they are 17" and not factory sorts but for the price I paid it was too good to refuse and I have seen a few Xantia's online with bigger wheels and I like them.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Sounds a nice Xantia Tim...

Want some nice Exclusive alloys for it with decent tyres?

tim leech
Donor 2016

Post by tim leech »

Thanks for the offer Jim, ill stick these 17"s on and see how it looks for now.

Cheers

tim leech
Donor 2016

Post by tim leech »

Small update, I seem to be Xantia powered most days now 8-) , the green car is now all welded up and will have a fresh MOT and then I will be getting shut of the blasted thing (money pit), the red Desire 2 is also being welded by Bourne Citroen but this is just a few patches..but I have no intention to get ride of it as now it has a full leather interior and is such a lovely smooth drive I will keep it (plus I do love the colour!).

The Athena TD is now fitted with some rather large wheels which I like but most people don't which I can live with, and a towbar and will be the main car for work and for towing my newest acquisition of a 1989 Marauder CT400 to shows and the odd weekend away (when there's no cars show on :lol: )

Said car is in the paint shop as of next week to have the rear spoiler (genuine sort) painted and fitted, a new front bumper as its badly scuffed, a early Mk1 badge less grille and two creased doors painted....I intend to keep it and with just 76000 miles on the clock she should last a while!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I love your garage Tim :-D

tim leech
Donor 2016

Post by tim leech »

I wish it was all mine!