Antifreeze

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Antifreeze

Post by myglaren »

We all recognize that to replace a Xantia, and many other models, heater matrix is hardly a walk in the park and they generally choose the most innopotune moment to pack up. Mine flooded the car with boiling water just as I was about to leave for a gig in Birmingham, some 220 miles. Had to do it in an ancient mini in the end.

I recently found this article, aimed at SAAB owners but I am convinced that it applies to any make of car.

Anything that postpones or prevents the need to replace the heater matrix is a godsend in my book but it also appears to have a good deal of other benificial effects - not least apparently prolonging the life of the head gasket.

It may be expensive stuff but if it does as the guy seems to think it does then it is very cheap at the price.
Last edited by myglaren on 06 Feb 2010, 14:25, edited 1 time in total.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Re: Antifreeze

Post by Paul-R »

I found his post to ramble a bit and he makes his points so badly that sometimes I wasn't sure what he was getting at.

Anyway, I have seen a post elsewhere which gives information on the different types of anti-freeze available; to sum up:

red antifreeze has a 5 yr life
green has a 3 year life
blue has a 2 year life

I think the blue/green distinction is a bit vague and possibly they can be intermixed but red DEFINITELY can't be mixed with either of the other two as its inhibitors are based on different chemistry and will actually react badly causing deposits which can block galleys and matrices up. Not good!

He doesn't say what colour this Merc A/F is but perhaps he's talking about the red stuff?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I found this on the Honest John website http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/ ... tm?t=19701 and am shamelessly copying it with full acknowledgement

------------------------------------------------------------

For many years, since the demise of Methanol based antifreeze that was traditionally only added just before winter, blue/green or yellow Monoethylene Glycol (MEG) has been the mainstay of the coolant market. However Ford vehicles since 08/98 have been filled with coolant combining Monoethylene glycol with Organic Additive Technology (OAT) corrosion inhibitors.

There are important differences between standard MEG and MEG with OAT. It does not contain silicates, nitrates, nitrites, borates, phosphates or amines so that:
· Without silicates, silicate gel or "green goo" does not form.
· By eliminating phosphates, hard water scale is reduced.
· Without silicates, phosphates, nitrates, nitrites and borates, abrasive dissolved acids are greatly reduced thereby diminishing water pump seal failures.
· Without amines and nitrites, there is no potential formation of nitrosamines.
All of this results in a considerably longer life span, whilst providing improved protection of all cooling system metals, including aluminium. Benefits over conventional silicate based coolants are:
· Improved water pump life due to reduced water pump seal wear.
· Fewer abrasive dissolved solids.
· Reduced hard water scale.
· Virtually no deterioration of heat transfer capacity during service life.
· Excellent protection against high temperature and pitting corrosion.
· No silicate gel formation during storage or use.
· Effective long-term corrosion protection for aluminium, brass, cast iron, steel, solder and copper alloys.
· Long effective service life of up to 10 years or 150,000 miles.

The two types of coolant should not be mixed. Vehicles filled with MEG will have coolant coloured blue, green or yellow. MEG with OAT additives will have coolant coloured Orange (Ford) or red.

------------------------------------------------------

One thing that no-one seems to have mentioned so far is MPG (Mono Propylene Glycol) based antifreezes. Unlike MEG, MPG is not poisonous
(which is why it's used in solar water heating systems in case there's a leak).

There's no chemical reason not to mix MEG and MPG but, because they have different specific gravities (SG), you won't know what concentration of antifreeze you have in your system using a hydrometer. Even if you have uncontaminated MPG you'll need a different hydrometer because of the different SG.

Presumably one can get MPG based antifreeze in 2 and 5 year variations?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

I prooved the Antifreeze theroy to myself a few years ago!

Firstly in my H 1991 BX TZD Turbo, I bought it with a small 121k on the clock, and ran it with BLUE water in it!

She got to 185k when the Cold start in the Bosch pump started playing up. So along came my first Xantia, 1993 L reg, TD SX Sinker, Boght with about the same milage on it as the BX 121k or so, and again ran with Blue water (IE: More then enough anti freeze) and never put a matrix in it, and that one ran to 200k without me needing to do the head or matrix..

My current girl unfortunally was a little higher then the other two at 181k, and unfortunally, she has needed a MAtrix just after getting her, but the head had already been done in the past with a Laminated replacement. Again, Im keeping the mixture ultra strong, shes now on 220k the head and heater is fine, I got warmth comming through even before the needle has touched the 60 on the guage, but I wonder how long the matrix will go on for. :wink:

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Some newer Citroens use a gell rather than the traditional collent, so always check which is suitable for your car.

The HDis are amasing for producing heat quickly, there is heat coming from the vents well before the temp needle even moves.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
deian

Post by deian »

This is why:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=29073

Otherwise they wouldn't be!
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Im pretty sure every HDi doesnt have a diesel pre-heater though? I thought only the exclusive Xantia HDis had?
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Anyone foresee any problems with me refilling my Activa with the Ford stuff? My Transit unsurprisingly runs it, and i could get it cheap from work.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

XantiaMan583 wrote:Anyone foresee any problems with me refilling my Activa with the Ford stuff? My Transit unsurprisingly runs it, and i could get it cheap from work.
The newer coolants (red, green, orange etc) aren't compatable with the older blue coolants. If you mix the two, you can make gunge, so if you want to use Ford coolant, drain the system, flush with water drain again and finally fill to make sure you're not mixing new with old.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Paul, just a note of caution about running very strong mixes of antifreeze.

The blue stuff (ethylene glycol based) will not be so efficient at heat transfer in high concentrations as ethylene glycol is not a good conductor of heat. It's ok up to 50/50 but go much above that and you could run into snags.

I run 40/60 (ish) in mine as I'm also a firm believer that keeping good coolant in is the secret to long engine and matrix life...

Not sure if this holds good for the new-fangled multi-coloured stuff.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I've always just used the green type (Peugeot: 9735E8) , although I think it might have changed codes or been discontinued (not sure but I think its more a blueish colour now and a different number)

I don't like the "long life" reddish stuff personally.

I had to change mine a couple of months ago due to a hose, I used the blue stuff from a factors that time simply as when I called in Citroen as I was going past and asked for the green E8 stuff (I realised it might of had a slightly different part number) the guy on the counter said they did not have any :( and he knew what stuff I meant too.