ECU repairs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Yes three electrolytics one with radial leads, two SMD.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Excellent Stempy :)

Fancy setting up an Hydractive ECU repair service as an extension of your existing business? I can imagine a niche market for such services, would be easier than trying to find a working replacement ECU for those of us with suspension problems.
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

Sid_the_Squid wrote:
oh thats sooo 2006 Steve Rolling Eyes, everyone knows Mac OS is where its at. Cool

I will NEVER concede that
Comparing Vista with any Unix based operating system is simply a no-go Steve. Wintel generic OSs are still in the dinasaur class IMHO, and each 'improvement' simply digs itself deeper into the Poo. Why does anyone in serious Wintel use insist on XP prof?
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Sid_the_Squid wrote:Excellent Stempy :)

Fancy setting up an Hydractive ECU repair service as an extension of your existing business? I can imagine a niche market for such services, would be easier than trying to find a working replacement ECU for those of us with suspension problems.
Happy to provide a service to anyone who wants it. Wouldn't necessarily be able to guarantee that it would be a cure all, but if anyone wants me to do what I did to mine then I'm happy to oblige. It's about an hours work and I normally charge £45/hour, but for fellow Cit enthusiasts I reckon £25 would cover it, including the three capacitors. Anyone interested can PM me.

Lexia ponce

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

This photo shows the three electrolytic capacitors in the Hydractive ECU.

All the brown stuff around the radially leaded one is not leakage but glue.

The ECU is quite hard to open as it's well stick together with silicone sealant to keep out the damp. The board is varnished to further protect against damp and this must be carefully scraped away before attempting to unsolder these components.

I'll be replacing these in mine to see if it has any effect on the problem described in this thread on fast regulator ticking in soft mode
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

I've got a few of each value if you don't have them, if you want I'll stick one of each in an envelope. Save you having to buy 10.

Lexia ponce

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Stempy wrote:I've got a few of each value if you don't have them, if you want I'll stick one of each in an envelope. Save you having to buy 10.
Stempy, that'll be wonderful, thank you :D

Shall I PM you my address?

That "machinegunning" yours did. Mine has done it several times as well. First time I wondered what the heck it was and my passenger was a bit concerned. I said "no worries, they all do that dear.." whilst wondering what it was that was making the noise :roll:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Ok Jim, let me know.

Further to this topic, as the front end of the V6 is now in just about as many pieces as it will go, temptation got the better of me and I pulled out the gearbox ECU and split it open. Not as straight forward as the HA ECU as it is sealed up with bent metal tangs and the PCB is riveted to the back plate and so has to be drilled out.

There are two capacitors in there but they are not of the surface mount variety. I removed and checked them and both were well within tolerance, although I stuck new ones in anyway as it was open. I reassembled it with a combination of pop rivets and M3 setscrews/nuts.

Lexia ponce

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks Stempy :D PM on it's way...

I took my autobox ECU apart because it was so rusty looking and I was worried about the internal condition. In the event it looked like new inside.

I successfully managed to bend back the tabs and pop it open. When I reassembled it I resealed it with electronics grade silicone RTV. I shall use the same stuff when I finally reassemble my HA ECU.

I really get the distinct feeling these ECUs are not really intended to be opened :roll:
Jim