Topic best xantia diesel models?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I have been in PM discussion briefly with someone doing a 2.1TD EPIC to Bosch and I understand he's using a pump from a 1.9TD with tweaked fuelling. Obstensively, there is little significant difference between the Bosch pumps on the early 2.1TD and 1.9TD

He tells me someone on the vegoildiesel forum has already successfully carried out this operation successfully but to date, quick looks on siad forum have not brought forth results for me.

Maybe said person (who is a Peugeot owner) will come and point the way.

Personally, It will take a lot to get me away from EPIC pumps as I think they're good. I'm also hoping to acquire a duff one (died on biodiesel) to see about repairing it. Anyway I need a new project now the V6 is now fishished!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Jim you were saying.................
Anyway I need a new project now the V6 is now fishished!
You are going to get a sackful of mail now :lol: :lol: :lol:

Colin
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

How about a multi point LPG conversion for the V6? I'd be happy to help, good test run for when I eventually do it on mine ;)

Sorry about the thread hijack.
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Jim

That's interesting about using the 1.9 pump, I have thought about it myself as I'm sure its capable of delivering enough fuel, just a question of the timing advance characteristics.

I'm sure that the EPIC is an excellent pump when its working properly, but it doesn't seem to do it for as long as the mechanical one. :D

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Sid_the_Squid wrote: How about a multi point LPG conversion for the V6? I'd be happy to help, good test run for when I eventually do it on mine ;)
Hold that thought Sid :wink: :D It's a good one..

Can one do DIY LPG? I had a feeling it was a pro-only job due to gas certification etc. :?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Theres less DIY kits than there used to be, but many people have done DIY conversion quite successfully. Most insurance companies don't require a certificate of authentication, however if they do, theres a lot of lpg fitters who will inspect your fitments for a small fee and issue a certificate if appropriate.

Heres an example of a DIY kit
http://www.tinleytech.co.uk/acatalog/SGIS.html

These guys will issue certificates for DIY jobs after inspection.
Heres a couple of links worth of reading from people with DIY lpg conversions.

Ford scorpio
Subaru WRX
Mk1 MR2

Theres probably more these are just some I found helpful.
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
dieseldoggy
My Cars:

Post by dieseldoggy »

CitroJim wrote:I have been in PM discussion briefly with someone doing a 2.1TD EPIC to Bosch and I understand he's using a pump from a 1.9TD with tweaked fuelling. Obstensively, there is little significant difference between the Bosch pumps on the early 2.1TD and 1.9TD

He tells me someone on the vegoildiesel forum has already successfully carried out this operation successfully but to date, quick looks on siad forum have not brought forth results for me.

Maybe said person (who is a Peugeot owner) will come and point the way.

Personally, It will take a lot to get me away from EPIC pumps as I think they're good. I'm also hoping to acquire a duff one (died on biodiesel) to see about repairing it. Anyway I need a new project now the V6 is now fishished!
THERES A COUPLE OF 2.1'S JUST COME UP ON EBAY!
xantia 19td estate 96-7
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

CitroJim wrote:
Sid_the_Squid wrote: How about a multi point LPG conversion for the V6? I'd be happy to help, good test run for when I eventually do it on mine ;)
Hold that thought Sid :wink: :D It's a good one..

Can one do DIY LPG? I had a feeling it was a pro-only job due to gas certification etc. :?
Ho ho ho easy easy! I put LPG on my V6 XM, albeit a single point system...and done 43k in it too! :D

Ill be fitting a single point system to my Xantia V6 when I fetch her back next month too... :D

I also fitted a multipoint system to the 2.oi Turbo XM I got...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

My favorite Xantia would have to be the HDi Exclusive but then only because it's the only one I owned. If I was buying again it would be a top of the range 2.1.

I had a 2.1 EPIC in my first XM. Pulled like a train and still did 42MPG. I found it to be just a good as the 2.5 and cheaper to run - parts are far more plentiful too.

LPG may be a good option but you have to weigh things up carefully. A good kit will probably cost over 1K if it's a sequential type. The tank takes up a fair amount of room. Fitting it and calibrating correctly can be tricky. Filling up the tank can take much longer than petrol/diesel unless it's a multihole tank. You should have it certified by the LPGA if you fit it yourself, if you don't and something goes wrong you could find yourself uninsured. That said just because a garage is in the LPGA it doesn't mean they will do a good job of fitting the system. Plenty of research should pay off in the long run.

Steve.
not applicable
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

I agree with Steve there.. My monopoint LPG conversion is approved, but in my eyes it looks a bit Friday afternoon..

I knew a 406 V6 owner who 'sequentialised', the biggest problem was room under the bonnet.. worse with a Xantia I think, but doable..

there's lots of info on all the regulations regarding fitting, but a good DIY job checked over by a decent LPGA I would think the best way forwards..

John
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

CitroJim wrote:
Hold that thought Sid :wink: :D It's a good one.
Unless you want to travel to the continent by Eurotunnel.

They still have a complete ban on vehicles powered by LPG or CNG.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
dieseldoggy
My Cars:

Post by dieseldoggy »

Sid_the_Squid wrote:
How about a multi point LPG conversion for the V6? I'd be happy to help, good test run for when I eventually do it on mine ;)

Sorry about the thread hijack.
Hi not at all.that's the reason i started it so user's can add there bit's and new entrants to marque can get a feel to see what etc is/can/proberly buy/use/repair/tips of use to them and anyone else for that matter.
so keep it up anything could be of use to someone on here!
xantia 19td estate 96-7