Radius arm bearings?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

a garage i used to work at used to have a cleanning bay outside, which was mainly for steam cleanning the chassis of HGV's before they were MOTed, that had a very lage ramp made out of two very steep slopping walls to drive the lorrys up onto,

as i said earlier i aint done an XM yet so im not sure how alike they are to a XANT, but the XANT has like a large tear drop openning in the side member of the sub frame, which you have to manuvour the blade of the arm which the push rod attach's to, through the openning in the sub frame

trgards malcolm
Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

Some good info here but.....

Years ago we came up with the idea of filling the front suspension arm housings on the DS with oil (not grease) this carried on to the CX, BX, XM and Xantia rear.

We also used to drill the housings on good arms, whilst still on the car, thread the hole, fill the housing with oil and seal up the hole with a set screw, this would ensure that a good arm would not fail.

The reason for not using grease is that if you take the bearings out of an old worn arm, you will quite often find that in the center of the tube, the grease is still in place and looks like it was put there yesterday, it's just sat in the middle for years, not doing any good to anything.

If you use oil, (thick oil) it will flow into the bearings at both ends providing constant lubrication througout the life of the car.

When I rebuild an arm, I grease both bearings, then fit one end, stand the arm on this end then fill the space with oil and fit the other bearing, just to make sure that the oil stays in the arm I put a smear of silicone sealant around the seals at the ends.

So far, I have rebuilt loads of arms for the BX, CX, XM, Xantia and now C5, I have never had one fail after rebuild doing it this way.

So you need to make sure that the arm housing is not worn, (we bore them out and bush them) fit a complete kit and fill with oil.

Regards
Martin.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sounds like a better idea Martin, something like EP 140 steering box oil, if they still make it. All the bearings I have replaced have been bone dry so I thought the grease might 'creep' into them.

The first one I ever did which was a CX spawned the idea with me of drilling a hole and either fitting a grease nipple or doing as you did - but of course I never actually got round to doing it.

Peter