Xantia fuel filter - Tank end

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

jgra1 wrote:hi Penguin, I had that scenario with one batch of WVO.. I had a wire mesh on funnel which caught the stuff, and also some glooping going on..

It was cold, and maybe a different batch to my normal..

on my TD, I just persevered adn all was well :D
I hope I have the same outcome! So far so good (touch wood).

Dave, the guy that filters it for me (and himself) assures me that both lots came from the same processing batch and he is a friend not just 'some guy down the pub' so I do believe him. Also, he heats the oil (80C) for his processing then runs it at high pressure through a centrifuge, so I doubt whether ambient temperature would be the issue, although I guess it could affect his pre-filtering stage.

I will let all know if I do conk out and have to clean the filter, but I really do hope that I have bothered everyone on here unnecessarily.

Cheers
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

davetherave wrote:True, for that purpose i bought some special biocide stuff from ebay, usually used for fuel systems on boats. Seems to have worked thus far and was pretty cheap and highly concentrated so lasts an awful long time!
I've read about that but came away with the impression you need to drain and flush it. Does the stuff simply kill/breakdown the contaminants so it passes through the system harmlessly with the diesel?
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Penguin wrote:...I really do hope that I have bothered everyone on here unnecessarily
Note to self; Penguin is a trouble maker

:wink:
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Back on topic. Can I suggest some changes to Jim and Glyn's advice:

1. The sharp, hard edge of a screwdriver is more likely to start a crack in the plastic ring, so use use a piece of hardwood as a drift and tap gently with a BIG hammer - you need inertia, not shock, to start the ring moving.

2. Tighten a long cable tie onto each fuel pipe just beyond the end of each 'tail' on the filter unit. These will stop the hose clips slithering down the pipe and make the pipes easy to retrieve when they've been pushed down out of the way.

Note the bungy holding the rear seat squab up to stop it attacking me, and the gaffer-tape to secure the cable tie ends.

3. Use the piece of wood to gently work the fuel pipes off their tails.

4. As soon as each pipe is off its tail, remove the hose clip and store safely.

The seal on mine (12 years old) didn't seem hard or tired so I didn't replace it - no signs of weeps after nearly a year.

Guy
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

MikeT wrote: Note to self; Penguin is a trouble maker

:wink:
Well its taken longer on this forum than most others I frequent to realize this! :lol: :lol:

Looks like you've really thought about this job before doing it Guy. Thanks for the advice.
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Hi Davetherave

Any chance of a bit more detail on the Biocide and the type of inline heater you have fitted.

John
Xmexclusive
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

Hiya john
Heres the ebay item number 120364981057 for a similar biocide to the one that i bought, it only take a few drops per 20L, and seems to work quite well as i store some of my fuel for some time before it goes in the car!

The heater is one i have had for a few years and mine is a single pass double glow plug one like this one 170342653930
However there are variations, and the best would probably be a double plug double pass, all it does is heat it to 80 degrees meaning i can run on higher percentages of wvo, extremely simple to fit, the hardest part is fitting a switch in the dash,but i can give you more info on that if you need.

For all weather veg oiling i would reccomend that you get one of these! (Of course other options are heat exchangers that link into the car cooling system which is incidently also around 80 degrees, however you would not get the initial heat on start up!)
Hope that helps
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Dave, I am running about 85% wvo to Derv..

does your system cut down smokey idleing at all (i.e. preheating) ?

John
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Hi Dave

Thanks for the links. How much do you need to run the fuel heater, just on start-up?

John
Xmexclusive
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

There definatly appears to be less smoke overall but as it takes a while for the filter housing to fill up and get warm maybe not a massive difference, i keep it running all the time and notice a difference in the cars power! My thinking is it will ease the strain on the pump.
It really came into its own on xantia 1 during the winter when if it was not turned on the car would rev up and down for some time!! (I was running very high WVO % though!)
I probably run at about 85% wvo too, except i mix with petrol and diesel!
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

My Xantia 1.9Td (96) got completely disabled with a fungus in the tank. Stalled every 3 or 4 miles one night, with a 100 Ml trip ahead. Eventually (suspecting fuel starvation) I removed the cover from the refuelling tank. This got me home, but the following day I removed the pump from the tank. It was almost completely blocked up by fungus, removed it by soaking the pump in hot water and Domestos, or Bleach, which apart from being a domestic cleaner used on toilets is an excellent Anti - fungicide. This together with plenty of hot water did an excellent job. I seem to remember having removed the electrical connections from the tank (under the seat) and running the engine until it cut out thereby lowering any pressure in the system, in order to remove the cover from the tank more easily.
crossy2425

Post by crossy2425 »

Those 'glow plug' type heaters are next to useless for heating your WVO.
The fuel is not in cntact for long enough to heat up. Besides, the fuel will only be the same temp as the IP and the large lump of metal called the block !

A heat exchanger from a domestic combi boiler is the way to go....installed BEFORE the filter it will help melt any fats present in the fuel.
Check out www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum/index.php theres loads of info on there re the pros and cons of heat exchangers.

Pugs tend to have a heated fuel filter :D
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Here is an example of what you can expect to find on the tank filter, believe it or not behind all that is the white plastic gauze filter
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Another note to self: Wait until you've eaten your chicken chow mein before viewing forum pics.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

MikeT wrote:Another note to self: Wait until you've eaten your chicken chow mein before viewing forum pics.
:lol: :lol: :lol: it wasn't any better in the flesh so to speak, the brown stuff was a slimy gunge with all manner of debris within it :-#
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH