Xantia Estate Tyres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I'm only a skerrick off 40; never seen the benefit in feeling constrained to act a certain way based on age (please don't confuse this with irresponsibility).

It's why I was able and willing to speak of my own "discoveries" relating to tyre size changes on the subject car. Better to know any shortcomings before they make themselves painfully apparent. The estates really are an incredibly docile vehicle in good fettle; in that sense perhaps lulling the unwary into thinking every car can be teated similarly.

One scary thing about that video, is how many people seem oblivious to what's going on. They're the drivers I worry about; life for them seems to exist as a TV show through the windows of their car.
user_3150
New User
My Cars: This is a dummy account added to fix some orphan posts.

Post by user_3150 »

Thanks all for the replies. I'm going to give it a go. I did think of the 195's as well but will go with the 205's. Looking at web review's + my budget the Kumho's look good value, anyone got any or indeed any opinion.

Thanks Alec.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Try two first; that way you can experiment with them on the front and rear as a pair. If you're happy with the way they progress when pushed, buy another two shortly after.

If you lose the tail on a hard corner at about 25MPH, the car will come pretty close to pivoting about the centreline of its front bumper. I'm saying this so if you do find a deserted wet carpark to test it in, it doesn't have to be massively wide. Don't try to "save" the slide, just brake until it's stopped.
firstrebel
My Cars:

Post by firstrebel »

You can predict and control a skid on a RWD but not on a FWD; they are totally unpredictable and you are usually aware you are in a skid much later and so loose valuable recovery time and space. If you are going to brake whilst in a skid then you must activate ABS otherwise you could induce a 4 wheel skid.

I know about skid control; it is part of my job.

Bob
Robert Isaac

1997 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate. 152000 miles
1995 Volvo 855 T5 Auto - Chipped. 186000 miles
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Bob, since you have access to superior facilities, please go and try my "recipe" with your estate. I suspect you'll come back with a grin.

p.s. I read all your columns on the other website (incidentally I drive with headlights on - like a Volvo - as the comparative smoothness of a Xantia's transit has confused people about whether it's moving or not). There's no mention of wheel grip or steering methods (feeding or crossing hands). You'll agree both of these can make a massive difference to how recoverable a situation is...

Cheers, Adam.