Picasso hiccup / code readers

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

steelcityuk wrote:
Who said I was driving?

Steve.
Not me! Sorry didn't mean to imply you drive around looking at a laptop. But I am guessing some people might, people who don't drive Citroens of course.
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

Sid_the_Squid wrote:[*edit.. heres a link with a list of ODB2 compliant cars
http://autocheckengine.com/scanned_list_iso.htm#citroen
http://www.myscantool.com/vehicles.html#citroen
Take that list with a large pinch of salt. The Xantia TurboCT certainly isn't compliant, at least in European flavour.

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

mooseshaver wrote:
steelcityuk wrote:
Who said I was driving?

Steve.
Not me! Sorry didn't mean to imply you drive around looking at a laptop. But I am guessing some people might, people who don't drive Citroens of course.
If you have a C5 with all the toys you can hook the laptop up to the video input to the Nav screen, only thing is that as soon as you start driving the video is inhibited and I havn't found out how to disable that "feature".

However all is not lost, you can set it up to record up to six parameters go and drive for as long as you need to and then play back the result at a later date. You can do this with every ECU there is on the C5 except.... Yes! you guessed it........ the engine ECU :-(.

Steve's comment about requiring additional hardware for some of the functionality is correct, there is apparently a PCMCIA card which is a voltage / current measuring device which the software can turn into a digital storage scope, havn't found a source for this card though (yet!). However the only advantage is that you can do it all with the PC if you have this card, other wise you have to use your standalone DVM and Oscilloscope.

Equally the Lexia 3.3 CD which is the heart of the system is only one of a set as very often when following some of the "help" menu's it will prompt you to input another CD which may contain wiring info or .....????

Cachaciero
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

steelcityuk wrote:Not having a reference model I don't know how functional a real Lexia is. Sure the one I have reads fault codes, clears faults, reads live data and allows you to activate various devices.
That's all that a "proper" Actia" one will do.

The bit that I think is missing allows oscilloscope reading of various items - injector pulse, etc. However this would seem to need another interface which could be separate piece of kit even with genuine Lexias.
Correct it's a PCMCIA card havn't found a source for it :-(

Price wise I bought when the Pound was very strong against the dollar and so although not cheap it was a good buy. It came in a nice soft case with 30 and 2 pin adapter.

Up to now I've used it on 2 XMs (2.5 TD and 2.0 TCT), C5 HDi and a Saxo. On the C5 there seemed nothing that it couldn't do that I needed it to, it could alter suspension heights, test the gauges and lights on the dashboard, activate engine components, provide live data, etc.

I doubt the software would be altered as this is the easiest thing to clone.
As far as I can see from a cursory look inside my "dongle" there will only ba limited amount of firmware in there to decode and code the OBDC messages and interface then to the USB connector.

The actual message packets and their contents would appear to be done in the software which comes on the "Lexia" CD that as far as I can see is a straightforward pirated version of the "proper" Lexia CD.

I suppose basically what I am saying is that if the Chinese dongles can read one message from the car then they can read them all. I can't comment further on the Chinese versions because mine is a "genuine" Actia ( I think!, it says so!, but then I bet so do some of the Chinese ones, oh! hum!)

Cachaciero
Steve.
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Well if that's the case then I got a bargain. I assumed (wrongly it appears) that extra connectors on the Lexia (header connection) had something to do with it.

Time to start looking for the add on.

Setting up the LPG is when you need the laptop whilst driving - far safer to have a willing passenger to adjust settings at your suggestion.

Steve.
not applicable
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

cachaciero wrote:

If you have a C5 with all the toys you can hook the laptop up to the video input to the Nav screen, only thing is that as soon as you start driving the video is inhibited and I havn't found out how to disable that "feature".

Cachaciero
Have a look in your software for something that is set to >5KPH. I have had a quick look and found that dealers can change this, if they have an older version of the software.
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

steelcityuk wrote:Well if that's the case then I got a bargain. I assumed (wrongly it appears) that extra connectors on the Lexia (header connection) had something to do with it.

Steve.
I believe that the extra leads you have are to enable connection to older cars, the XM Mk1 for example had odd connectors usually two pins IRC from such ECU's it had while the Mk2 had a 32 pin connector under the steering wheel, I suspect that Xantias may have had similar variations. It may well be that some of the Chinese versions are a tad more flexible than the official Actia version.

Cachaciero
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

mooseshaver wrote:
cachaciero wrote:

Cachaciero
Have a look in your software for something that is set to >5KPH. I have had a quick look and found that dealers can change this, if they have an older version of the software.
Hi mooseshaver

Thanks for that, next time on online to the car :-) I will have a dig around for that.

Cachaciero
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Thanks for input on the Diag equipment chaps - does seem to be a bit pay and home as far as the Chinese jobbies are concerned!

Picasso now back with new fuel pump and filter - wallet £380 lighter :cry: 2.4 hours at £65 / hour + VAT soon cranks the cost up - and £18 + VAT for the filter :twisted: I remember why I only ever take cars to the garage if I have no other choice!

The lexia might have to wait till the shock has worn off..... :shock:
Richard W
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Hi Richard,

Have you welded the Decap yet?

Steve.
not applicable
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

steelcityuk wrote:Have you welded the Decap yet?
Sadly not, Steve :cry: Houses, gardens and baby have got in the way of any mechanical work really - and I haven't touched the car, or the motorbike, for at least 4 years, and probably more. I had hoped to get them both up for their 21st and 75th birthdays respectively in 2004 / 5, but we are now at 25th and 80th birthdays, and not a hope. Perhaps I'll make it for their 30th and 85th Birthdays in 2014 :? After all the house is nearly finished - but there is talk of a conservatory / extension - or I want to build a house :shock:

Unless anyone wants to come to Scotland for a weldathon :twisted:
Richard W